All-Star New Nca Rule. No Sandbagging!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The policy is in place to alleviate sandbagging by teams that have already competed. If it's a team's first competition, there won't be a legitimate level to hold them accountable to.

Has there been any thought to a team having to qualify to get to NCA Nationals as it was done in the past? That qualifying would set the level that they would compeate when they go to Dallas

Has there been any thought to a team having to qualify to get to NCA Nationals as it was done in the past? That qualifying would set the level that they would compeate when they go to Dallas

I think going back to regional qualifiers would be a great, but I would assume they see this as a hinderance to their money making machine... Almost all teams plan competition schedules far in advance, and having a trip to Dallas "up in the air" would turn people off, or maybe scare them away from coming. We get tons of "you've qualified for this comp!" during the year, but we never go because it's never in the initial budget. I think worlds is the only exception to gyms taking a gamble and putting it on the schedule without qualifying first, because duh, it's worlds and they'll go as long as they get the bid.

I think going back to regional qualifiers would be a great, but I would assume they see this as a hinderance to their money making machine... Almost all teams plan competition schedules far in advance, and having a trip to Dallas "up in the air" would turn people off, or maybe scare them away from coming. We get tons of "you've qualified for this comp!" during the year, but we never go because it's never in the initial budget. I think worlds is the only exception to gyms taking a gamble and putting it on the schedule without qualifying first, because duh, it's worlds and they'll go as long as they get the bid.

The word qualifier is loosely used.... The requirements would be loose enough that essentially making it that you were locking in your division. As NCA does with College Nationals you could attend a NCA Camp and get get qualified.

Quite frankly NCA Nationals is NOT just any Comp. It is the oldest and most prestige competition hands down. If a gym was planning on attending they would do what was needed to attend. It could very easily be budgeted into the schedule. It was not long ago that you had to qualify just for the honor to take the floor in Dallas. With only 50% moving on to finals, with very few divisions.

The word qualifier is loosely used.... The requirements would be loose enough that essentially making it that you were locking in your division. As NCA does with College Nationals you could attend a NCA Camp and get get qualified.

Quite frankly NCA Nationals is NOT just any Comp. It is the oldest and most prestige competition hands down. If a gym was planning on attending they would do what was needed to attend. It could very easily be budgeted into the schedule. It was not long ago that you had to qualify just for the honor to take the floor in Dallas. With only 50% moving on to finals, with very few divisions.

The Problem with Qualifying would come from a gym like us. I think there are two NCA competitions both about 5 or 6 hours away that happen before NCA Nationals. So we would have to have to travel to a relatively small competition to even qualify for this one. It better be a big competition if we are going to travel 5+ hours for it.

Its one of the reasons we don't go to UCA Nationals, the only qualifier anywhere close to us is in Orlando, why would we want to travel the 4 hours to go to Orlando to go back to Orlando?

its not the worry of actually qualifying to go, its the hassle of having to put a competition you don't really want to go to on your schedule just to qualify.

The Problem with Qualifying would come from a gym like us. I think there are two NCA competitions both about 5 or 6 hours away that happen before NCA Nationals. So we would have to have to travel to a relatively small competition to even qualify for this one. It better be a big competition if we are going to travel 5+ hours for it.

Its one of the reasons we don't go to UCA Nationals, the only qualifier anywhere close to us is in Orlando, why would we want to travel the 4 hours to go to Orlando to go back to Orlando?

its not the worry of actually qualifying to go, its the hassle of having to put a competition you don't really want to go to on your schedule just to qualify.

Video qualifying is done by NCA for College and was used in the past when you had to qualify for Dallas. I think the important thing is that a team going to Dallas should have to declare their division and qualify

Video qualifying is done by NCA for College and was used in the past when you had to qualify for Dallas. I think the important thing is that a team going to Dallas should have to declare their division and qualify
I'm all for declaring levels, Pick a level at the beginning of the year and stick with it for all comps.
With perhaps the possibility of if you get last 3 comps in a row you have the option of moving down.

I'm all for declaring levels, Pick a level at the beginning of the year and stick with it for all comps.
With perhaps the possibility of if you get last 3 comps in a row you have the option of moving down.

Yes I agree with this

That would be the best way to word the rule to actually stop sandbagging.

You have to show that you got last x numbers of times in your division to be eligible to move down a level. No one is going to purposely get last just to sandbag at Nationals

Of course, there are some times that a team will move up a level for a particular (very small) comp if there was no competition at all in their division, just so they can get experience throwing higher skills on the comp mat. We have absolutely ONLY done this when we were alone in a division (Y4 moved to Y5), for the girls working new skills, or had the skills but placed on this particular team. At major events we competed what our true level was, and the changes basically only amounted to running tumbling. Do you think that would be a big no-no to NCA?

Only problem I see with this is if you go to small local comps for majority of your comps and there is some other small local gym who has even less of a right to be competing that level, then even though you can tell you aren't up for this level you can't change because there's an even worse team around, I think if this were to go into place it would be better to make it if you score below a certain score you have the ability to drop levels.

Only problem I see with this is if you go to small local comps for majority of your comps and there is some other small local gym who has even less of a right to be competing that level, then even though you can tell you aren't up for this level you can't change because there's an even worse team around, I think if this were to go into place it would be better to make it if you score below a certain score you have the ability to drop levels.
No rule will be perfect, But the goal is to prevent teams that are good at their level from dropping down for the "easy" win, and I highly doubt anyone would lose on purpose so they could sandbag at nationals.

Maybe placing in the bottom 25% 2+ times would be sufficient grounds for dropping a level

Ok so just my 2 cents..try out are generally in the spring, I feel like by comp season a coach or gym director worth their salt would know what division a team should be competing in. I would not want my cp team to level down for a jacket even a NCA jacket. This is our 5th allstar season and every year her team has either moved up a level or a age division I have learned to trust our directors to know where they should compete. They have been extremely successful every year. It is called competitive cheer for a reason.

Back