OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I have a Tumblr and I love it. I probably spend way too much time on it than I should. But yes, adult content is easy to find on it and it pops up on my dash all the time, even though I don't follow adult content related blogs. And it can get a little graphic at times. (Not trying to scare you off, just letting you know).

The good thing is, the Tumblr staff really do care about their users, more so than any other social media site I've been on. They recognize that people from every culture, background and age group use Tumblr. They added extra security about a year ago to block adult content from people who don't want to see it. By default, your account will not show anything tagged as adult content (usually tagged as NSFW (not safe for work)). Not only will posts be blocked from showing up but blogs that are categorized as adult content blogs will not show up, even if she happens to be searching for it. But if someone she's following reblogs it, it will show up.

But going back to the "the staff and users really care about everyone" thing, I also want to add that mixed in with the adult content tags there is a lot of educating information about that kind of stuff. And not just "how to" stuff but social issues about going out and what girls need to know and be aware of, etc. (Like rape help, what to do if it happens, but also places to go if you have questions, concerns, etc, how to stay safe, relationship abuse info, lots of good stuff). I have the tag turned off because of this info, but I'm also 21 and am mature enough to handle the adult content. Hopefully, your 11 year old won't ever run into a situation where she will need that info, but when you block out the adult content, you're blocking that stuff out too. If she still has her account later on in life, like when she enters college, if she has turned that block off, don't freak out. It's not all hardcore, graphic stuff. But for 11 year old, I would definitely make sure she has the NSFW block turned on and keep that monitored into her older teen years. How you're going to work with her to maintain a good clean tumblr experience is definitely something you and her should discuss before she gets one though.

She will have a blast on it. I say go for it and let her get one but just keep an eye on her activity. I'm so glad she's into the nerdy stuff. One fandom will lead her into another great fandom :p

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Tumblr has a rule that you cannot join unless you're 13 or older so I suggest she doesn't get one.. @Just-a-Mom
3. Use of the Services
Eligibility:
No individual under the age of thirteen (13) may use the Services or provide any information to Tumblr or otherwise through the Services (including, for example, a name, address, telephone number, or email address). You otherwise may only use the Services if you can form a binding contract with Tumblr and are not legally prohibited from using the Services.

You have to be at least 13 years old to use Tumblr. We're serious: it's a hard rule, based on U.S. federal and state legislation, even if you're 12.9 years old. If you're younger than 13, don't use Tumblr. Ask your parents for an Xbox or try books.
Tumblr

I posted this in parents, but I'll ask here too. Could use "younger people" thoughts on this.

My child, who is 11, bought herself a new phone. She now wants a Tumblr. I don't know anything about tumblr or if it's appropriate.

She's a very introverted, nerdy, super smart kid. She's not into celebrity/cheerlebrity/dancelebrity type people. She only has a small circle of girls she is close to, and then friends from dance and volleyball that I think she would follow (that's what you do on tumblr right? Follow?). She likes things like Dr Who and Minecraft, Irish dance, ballet, and volleyball.

Thoughts? Tumblr an OK thing for her to get?

Signed,
Old mom who's just now getting the hang of Twitter :(

I say NO.
If she wants something, let her have a pinterest. There's TONS of Dr. Who stuff on there I see all the time!

The bad thing about xkit and tumblr savior is that the person has to tag the post NSFW otherwise it wont block it. I have NSFW blacklisted and graphic images still pop up from time to time. Its normally not a big deal until Im in the library and one pops up.

Or when you're on the phone app and someone swipes your phone... Especially awkward when it's your dad.

That's actually most social media/message boards if I'm not mistaken. It's because of a law called COPPA.

I know that its 13 for Twitter and Facebook and I assume Instagram.
Crazy thing is that if people actually abided by the law on these website/apps then 8 year old Susie wouldn't have a bow line and 50,000 followers. I know that doesn't stop 13 year old Susie having one, but its a start at least.

P.S - @krystynakrez I like your new display pic - it feels like the end of an era, you had the other one for so long! Haha!

P.S - @krystynakrez I like your new display pic - it feels like the end of an era, you had the other one for so long! Haha!
I know... I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet hahah don't be surprised if it goes back to the other one! I feel like it's just my thing for fierceboard ya know?
But thank you :)

@Just-a-Mom i know you already got quite a few responses... tumblr can be an awesome place, but there are negatives, as with any site. i am 100% introverted and maybe a nerd (i prefer bookworm:p) and tumblr is like this whole little universe just like you that gets you. it can also be an amazing support system. i've seen someone blog post about being suicidal and the amount of love and people willing to talk that swarm in is amazing. they also "signal boost" a lot of seriously important topics. they're also quite silly. i am not into dr. who, but it comes up constantly, so i know she'll enjoy that aspect. i follow a lot of dance blogs and they're wonderful. it can really act as a support group for any part of life, as well.

i know she's a little young, i guess it'll just depend on how much you want her exposed to. people curse and, as said already, even with the NSFW blocked, some things still show up if they aren't tagged as such. there is a "blacklist" option where you or she could go on and blacklist words that posts are tagged with that you don't want her to see. (basically blacklist the names of all body parts and inappropriate words lol) it's the phone part that would maybe make me a bit apprehensive. if it's something she really wants, i'd say have her sign up on the computer and you (or her, with your supervision) search some topics she's interested in and wants to follow. i would just peruse the blog a bit before she follows to make sure they aren't posting anything inappropriate mixed in with the dance or fandom stuff. and maybe check back in every so often.

or make her wait lol

I went to walk down to my grandmas and (unsuccessfully) set up her wifi when I found one of my neighbors little pug-mix dogs on my driveway. So I picked him/her (idk) up and took it home and found the other two outside. I seriously pisses me off that they let their dogs run around the neighborhood at night in the freezing cold. They weren't there when I just walked back so I hope someone took them inside and they didn't freeze to death. They let the dogs run around in the daylight and warmer weather too. I hope they never get hit by a car or anything since there is a busy street at the end of our road.

I went to walk down to my grandmas and (unsuccessfully) set up her wifi when I found one of my neighbors little pug-mix dogs on my driveway. So I picked him/her (idk) up and took it home and found the other two outside. I seriously pisses me off that they let their dogs run around the neighborhood at night in the freezing cold. They weren't there when I just walked back so I hope someone took them inside and they didn't freeze to death. They let the dogs run around in the daylight and warmer weather too. I hope they never get hit by a car or anything since there is a busy street at the end of our road.
People like that piss me off too. I try to keep my cat inside as much as possible and now that I'm away I fear my parents are just gonna kick him outside :( They baby our yorkie but hate the cat (maybe because he's mean but he's still loveable..). I wanted to take him to school with me but a) we're not aloud to have pets and b) my roommate is allergic, like, severely.. Most people in our hall ignore the no pet rule.. My neighbors have a fat hamster named Stephen :p

People like that piss me off too. I try to keep my cat inside as much as possible and now that I'm away I fear my parents are just gonna kick him outside :( They baby our yorkie but hate the cat (maybe because he's mean but he's still loveable..). I wanted to take him to school with me but a) we're not aloud to have pets and b) my roommate is allergic, like, severely.. Most people in our hall ignore the no pet rule.. My neighbors have a fat hamster named Stephen :p
Lol I want to try and sneak a kitten into our apartment but both my parents and roommates parents are allergic so we could never take it home

Lol I want to try and sneak a kitten into our apartment but both my parents and roommates parents are allergic so we could never take it home
Some girls down my hall had a cat and our RA was cool with it but the RD (Resident Director.. aka head of all the RAs) found out and they couldn't keep it :(

Back