OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
The music video for "Radio" by Robbie Williams has cheerleaders in it, too. It's kind of an odd video, though.
There's also a book called "I Was a Non Blonde Cheerleader", but I can't remember who wrote it.
90% sure that book is by Kieran Scott (I think I spelled the first name wrong). I only read the second one, A Non Blonde Cheerleader In Love, but it was actually pretty good!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Anyone that doesn't mind helping me out :

Writing a paper on gender discrimination for one of my classes an incorporating guys in cheer and dance cause I know everyone else will write about females being discriminated against.

My question is :

Would it be correct to say that males in L5/6 cheer are disadvantaged compared to females because they can only do co-ed and females can do all girl and coed (meaning less spots for males vs females in programmes) or incorrect because of the ratio of male cheerleaders to female cheerleaders?
I think it would be a weak argument considering all the gyms that have to advertise for boys just to fill the spots. There aren't enough boys to go around, so if they have the skills a gym will snatch them up

I think it would be a weak argument considering all the gyms that have to advertise for boys just to fill the spots. There aren't enough boys to go around, so if they have the skills a gym will snatch them up

Thank you! :)
I think I might twist the argument to say that on the outside it can seem like women and men are disadvantaged in sports (all girl vs coed) but if you take into account ratios of gender of athletes then it makes sense (way less males) and then I can still use male cheerleaders as my example

Anyone that doesn't mind helping me out :

Writing a paper on gender discrimination for one of my classes an incorporating guys in cheer and dance cause I know everyone else will write about females being discriminated against.

My question is :

Would it be correct to say that males in L5/6 cheer are disadvantaged compared to females because they can only do co-ed and females can do all girl and coed (meaning less spots for males vs females in programmes) or incorrect because of the ratio of male cheerleaders to female cheerleaders?

I don think I'd call your example discrimination, I think that's just the way it is because of the ratios like you said. I don't think there's a cap level in the lower teams to how many guys can be on a team, I think that's just for level 5/6, but I could be wrong.

Apart from the societal discrimination make cheerleaders get, I don't think males are discriminated against that much. (In the world of cheer I mean). At many gyms they get free tuition, especially when they are on the higher level teams. I've seen gyms do ANYTHING to keep their boys, but not their girls. (Literally anything. Like bailing an athlete out of jail hours before a competition and sweep it under the rug and cover it up...) I feel like boys are coveted in the world of cheer.

It seems boys get treated differently in dance too. Of course all my knowledge comes from dances mom ( not the most reliable source) but they have said countless times that judges will place boys higher at awards to keep them dancing, even if they don't really deserve their placement.

I have Wind Ensemble tryouts tomorrow in my band class. I play trumpet and for our tryout we have to play a pre-rehearsed music piece (which i can nearly do perfectly now), 3-4 full range scales, and a sight-read piece.
I can't even play the easiest full range scale (concert Bb, no sharps or flats) and i'm considering not trying out anymore because its just going to be embarassing :(
I'm a high school music teacher and I would absolutely tell you to audition, scales or not. Can you do 1 or 2 octave scales instead of full range. I would much prefer to hear scales over a smaller range than badly played full range. Scales were always my undoing and it never hindered me-just go for it! Let us know how you get on-good luck!

How long does everyone's colleges give professors to submit grades at the end of semester? I took three finals this semester, one on the 1st, 1 on the second, and one tuesday. I wont know my final grades until the 15th. Thats around two weeks for the first two finals that I took. Is that normal? For fall semester they only got about 5ish days from the end of finals where theyre getting about nine.

Our professors have 72 hours from the end of the semester to post grades. Most of them don't take that long though lol. I'm finished with all my finals but the semester technically doesn't end until Friday so I'm just playing the waiting game. The only grade I have put in right now is Concert Band and that's been in since our concert 2 weeks ago. haha

I have Wind Ensemble tryouts tomorrow in my band class. I play trumpet and for our tryout we have to play a pre-rehearsed music piece (which i can nearly do perfectly now), 3-4 full range scales, and a sight-read piece.
I can't even play the easiest full range scale (concert Bb, no sharps or flats) and i'm considering not trying out anymore because its just going to be embarassing :(

If I read this correctly, your auditions should have been today, so I'm sorry I didn't see this before!! I really hope you tried out!! Auditions can be so scary, but I'm sure you did well :)

Ok. My interview for a JV coach is officially Monday. Any tips?????? I'm so so so nervous!

Be enthusiastic. My old high school just got a new varsity coach and all I've heard about her/why she got the job was that she was enthusiastic in her interview.

Back