OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
French commentary is dreadful... The guy is at least, he gave is personal opinion on each song BEFORE they were performed tonight (and he was not always very polite), and now that they're announcing the scores, he's already complained a few times that countries usually vote for their neighbours... The girl is much classier (she's a former contestant which might help), and it's obvious she tries to compensate his bad comments, but there's not much she can do with a partner like that.

ETA : I'm also wondering if one day, they'll find a French person who speaks English to announce the scores :rolleyes:. I swear we must be the only country to announce scores in our own language.

I was told a long time ago that French and English are the official languages of Europe, and in our broadcasts everything is repeated in French, so I guess it makes sense for you to just announce it in French!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was told a long time ago that French and English are the official languages of Europe, and in our broadcasts everything is repeated in French, so I guess it makes sense for you to just announce it in French!

Yeah, I know but it still sounds odd to me when only one announcer talks in a different language than the others (although maybe other french speaking countries do it too ? I didn't really notice).

Yeah, I know but it still sounds odd to me when only one announcer talks in a different language than the others (although maybe other french speaking countries do it too ? I didn't really notice).

Yeah I get what you mean.

Conchita's beard makes her resemble my ex and it's making me laugh too much. Good for her though, Europe's making a statement tonight!

I always forget Americans to clueless to the ways of Eurovison. Imagine the most bizzare thing you can think of... then triple it. Then double that.

(although this year was surprisingly tame :( )

Everybody keeps going on about how people were Conchita/Austria because they wanted to show acceptance and global change.

No.
People voted Conchita because she was a transgender woman who kept the beard. Yes it shows acceptance but lets be honest - they were voting for the entertainment factor of that first and acceptance second. (Lord knows that Eurovision isn't bout the songs ;) )

Yeah I get what you mean.

Conchita's beard makes her resemble my ex and it's making me laugh too much. Good for her though, Europe's making a statement tonight!

I'm made up for her to be representing a country. Europe certainly is making a statement tonight and I couldn't be happier! I can't wait to go into school on Monday and discuss it with my kids, it's a fantastic talking/learning point and she's being portrayed in such a positive light :)

I'm just chatting with @cupieqt right now though as I'm sooooo disappointed in one of my friends. We're all mid-late 30s and he's made a horrid statement which has really saddened me. I referred to Conchita as 'her' since that's the pronoun she wants, and he's argued and used 'he/she' and 'it'. For somewhere supposed to be progressive and liberal I find it really saddening that one of my friends would do this. To be fair he did delete the 'it' comment after about 10 mins, but he still wrote it.

Everybody keeps going on about how people were Conchita/Austria because they wanted to show acceptance and global change.

No.
People voted Conchita because she was a transgender woman who kept the beard. Yes it shows acceptance but lets be honest - they were voting for the entertainment factor of that first and acceptance second. (Lord knows that Eurovision isn't bout the songs ;) )

But think of some of the countries watching and voting in this 'competition'. Their track record recently with LGBTQ issues is downright appalling. It will do those countries a lot of good to have seen her on the tv. The more exposure issues get, the less of an issue they become as acceptance builds. Yes some may have voted for the entertainment factor, but how many people all over Europe are talking about it. Some will smack-talk and ridicule, but at least they're talking!

But think of some of the countries watching and voting in this 'competition'. Their track record recently with LGBTQ issues is downright appalling. It will do those countries a lot of good to have seen her on the tv. The more exposure issues get, the less of an issue they become as acceptance builds. Yes some may have voted for the entertainment factor, but how many people all over Europe are talking about it. Some will smack-talk and ridicule, but at least they're talking!

Definitely 100% agree. It is a wonderful thing that she won and a wonderful learning point to teach others about LGBT issues. Especially with Russia involved. I think she was absolutely stunning, I want her figure!! Whether she won or not I think she would have a very similar reaction and awareness.

But lets call a spade a spade - they were voting for the beard (and everything that comes with it). Without the beard this would definitely not be anything we haven't seen before as such

For anyone that wants to know what we are talking about :

No.
She's not actually transgendered, Conchita is a drag act/alter ego. I'm really glad she won, to me she was one of the few acts that stood out :)

Back