New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It is a great story, but they left out the part where he got hurt and Clemson pulled his scholarship so he had to transfer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  2. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Weird, I did some searches after I watched the movie because I was curious how close the movie version was to his true life story. They all said he graduated from Clemson.

“McElrathbey graduated from Clemson in 2008 with an undergraduate degree before transferring to Howard University in Washington, D.C., to earn a communications degree. His football career ended just outside Asheville, N.C., at Mars Hill University in 2010.”

A week before its release, former Clemson player talks 'Safety' movie

3. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  4. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The Wizard of Odds: The Truth Comes Out: Clemson Ran Ray Ray

5. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    To me it looks like his football career was cut short at Clemson, but he still graduated from Clemson. With that said, realize I could be wrong.

“Initially redshirted in 2005 for his freshman year, Ray Ray eventually played on special teams the following season, as well as the position of safety. He made his debut in the season opener against Florida Atlantic on September 3, 2006. He played in 12 games and had a total of eight tackles (Forbes). His playing career at Clemson was cut short prior to the 2007 season when he switched to running back and tore his ACL during training camp, which required surgery. Taking care of his younger brother and focusing on his studies became his primary concern. He graduated in three years, earning a sociology degree along with a minor in communications in 2008. Though he was still eligible to play, the Clemson Tigers did not renew his scholarship (Forbes). While he was angry at the time, he has since made peace with it. “

Disney's Safety vs. the True Story of Ray Ray McElrathbey

6. Thinkpositivethoughts

Thinkpositivethoughts Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I just wanna give a piece of advice to future college students. Please don’t ever double major, especially on the pre med track. It will possibly be the death of you and be the cause of an ungodly amount of breakdowns. But don’t get me wrong it is going to be worth it in the end. I just want others to understand and realize it can be a very stressful thing.

7. cheerKT

cheerKT Best Overall Poster Fantasy Football Winner

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    ktguen
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Right, he still graduated from Clemson, but they pulled his football scholarship his senior year, meaning he had to pay for school.

8. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    For those of you around the world who celebrate it, Merry Christmas!!!

9. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yep, impressed he graduated in 3 years.

10. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Does anyone know where I can find old NHSCC results? I’ve found 2013-2014. Varsity covers back to 2016. I’m having a little trouble finding 2015 (can only find a few PDF’s here). Is there a site that offers this?

11. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I hope so, but I wouldn’t know. Sorry! I would also love to see them, though.

12. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just venting: I’ve noticed that some crap tabloid has identified the Soho Karen as a cheerleader, even though that has nothing to do with what happened or how awful she is. I find that this happens a lot: news outlets will toss in the fact that some awful girl is also a cheerleader even though it’s irrelevant, like they want to confirm everyone’s suspicions that cheerleaders are cruel/stupid/slutty people. They also did it with that girl who tried to divorce her parents, like her being a cheerleader was responsible for her short-sightedness and greed.

But they don’t do this with softball players or any other sport that they find less titillating. Wonder why.

13. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Good point, and yes I think you are right that it fits into the narrative they want to tell.

14. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I feel like I see this trend all the time:

Parent-suing cheerleader Rachel Canning makes agrees to drop restraining order against ex

Amarillo cheerleader under fire after sharing racist Snapchat video

Ex-cheerleader who tried to avoid DUI arrest by claiming she was a 'clean, thoroughbred, white girl' pleads guilty

UPDATE: Carolina Panthers Cheerleaders fired: Two Carolina Panther Cheerleaders kicked off team,... | wtsp.com

The last one is literally just news because they were cheerleaders. “Two women fight in bar” is not usually newsworthy.

I never see reporters describe anyone else as “ex-high school softball player” or “former golfer” unless it’s related to the story itself.

15. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I have noticed this a lot lately...
    Have you also noticed the slew of Cheer Scandal movies out lately too? Lifetime had a whole week dedicated to NEW Cheer dramas. Everything from killer cheerleaders, a re-play of The Fab Five ordeal rounded out with a movie about A cheerleader-led cheating ring.
    Funny how you’ll never hear of the countless community service projects or the many accomplishments of an athlete or an organization on the news. :/