New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  2. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I was rewatching old eps of Cheer Perfection and wow... that show is giving me secondhand anxiety. I think I enjoyed it more when it was on TV a few years ago because I wasn’t as knee-deep in cheer as I am now. But I actually flinched a little bit when a mom called another mom to let her know some kid they didn’t like made the team. And then the first mom, who didn’t even have a kid on the team, justified it by saying, “I’m just telling you because I’m mad for you.” Ew.

3. Cheer0825

Cheer0825 Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Not having a cheer season sucks BUT at least we don’t have to listen to a coach justify their team dancing to a cheer remix of WAP...

4. Thinkpositivethoughts

Thinkpositivethoughts Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Not as viral as some videos on tiktok or social media in general have gone. It went viral among Trump 2020 supporters who agreed with and did duets with A lot of the videos Saying how we need more people with her views and beliefs. But it did happen to go viral enough for her university to see it and dismiss her. If her parents are still the same as they were when we were younger, they are full speed ahead on hiring a lawyer to sue her university for violating her freedom of speech.

5. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Sometimes I wonder what it’s like to be that stupid. Like honestly. A majority of the world tells you you’re wrong to be racist, history tells you you’re wrong to be racist, but then you’re just... still gonna be racist? K.

Not to mention freedom is speech only says the government can’t censor you. Private businesses/organisations can censor whoever they want. Including tiktok a******s.

6. Thinkpositivethoughts

Thinkpositivethoughts Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I often wonder such things myself. Her and her parents are those type of people who threaten lawsuits and suing when they don’t get what they want, their way, and so on and so forth. I have so many stories I could tell about this girl. I don’t know if these stories are more embarrassing or funny though. Plus people should realize if you are going to post anything remotely racist on social media someone is going to either screenshot, screen record, or save the video...and will make sure it gets to who it needs to and make sure that the incident is addressed.

7. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Totally cute theme idea: if your school mascot is some kind of bird and your colors are red and blue, try a Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey theme.

8. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So like just to be clear do other youth sports have toxic communities or is it largely cheer? I poked around the AG softball community on Twitter and couldn’t find anything that even holds a candle to the BS that cheer teams get. I’m sure there are pockets of negativity in every sport, but I do not think total strangers are crapping on minors they don’t know like they do in cheer.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  9. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think all star has a weird social media thing because of the glitz and glam, but I believe other sports are just as competitive and crazy for sure. I've heard horror stories about baseball, and soccer in our town puts cheer to shame (THANKS SOCCER!).

10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My sister has been an AAU basketball parent (for both a son and a daughter.) There is definitely drama there too.

See also: dance studio drama.

11. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have a non cheerleader cheerleader! She is so shy except for those 2 mins and 30 seconds on the mat!!
    She is in Band, Choir, G&T, and Robotics. But cheer is her passion.

12. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    OH MY GOD dance studio drama. How could I forget. I danced growing up but wasn’t super good so I missed out on a lot of it (drama seems to follow good kids).

But my younger sister was super good, largely because my mom pulled her from her childhood dance studio when she realized it kind of sucked and put her in a superior one. This caused tension between my sister and literally all her friends, because her dance friends were also her school friends and they all competed on the same MS dance team.

Things came to a head when they all eventually tried out for the HS dance team and my sister was put on V as a freshman when everyone else was put on JV. This was an ego blow to her BFF, who was used to being the star on their shared dance teams (she’d started dancing earlier than my sister and usually accelerated faster than her as a result, so it was a bitter pull to swallow).

Tension boiled. Bullying ensued. Fights erupted. The (now ex) BFF’s parents accused the coach of favouring my sister because she was “prettier” (which, ouch). The coach was finally forced to show the parents the audition footage and said, “These two girls are not at the same level. I can’t put them on the same team. It wouldn’t be fair to either of them” (which, OUCH).

The ex-BFF spent the year bullying my sister and getting kicked off the JV team for it. Then she left for another school whose dance team was less skilled, her logic being that she could dominate as a big fish in a small pond. But then was promptly put on their JV team as well because my mom had been right: the studio she trained at sucked. In retrospect, it only produced a solid dancer every five years or so, and ex-BFF wasn’t one of them.

13. KPep

KPep Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Hockey here is absolutely insane.

14. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Edit: this was supposed to be in response to @CoachTamara

Yes! Cheer is worse on social media but nothing I've ever seen in person with cheer compares to the things we saw in TBALL.

One example, my son's 4-6yo tball team was playing a team of almost all 7yo and clearly getting creamed. The coach of the other team thru a screaming fit when one of our players was actually able to get someone out. These were preschoolers and kindergartners y'all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    As far as in-person behavior, everything pales in comparison to youth baseball/tee ball/softball.

We went to watch a friend's son play 8U and saw a dad asked to leave the area.