New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I FORGOT ABOUT THAT PART. Didn't she make buttons or something and that wasn't allowed? But also, the administration straight up disqualified a girl from cheering because she handed out buttons? Sounds a bit draconian for a middle school cheer team.

The more I learn about the culture at that school during that time, the more questions I have.

But mostly, it just sounds like Wanda kept getting in her own way. She was so bent on her daughter’s success that she completely ignored logic, homicide laws, and button rules. I don’t think I’ll ever truly understand this story. I’m just glad nobody got seriously hurt and that the daughter seems to be thriving now.

2. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I wonder if they didn't want her on the team because her mom was an unstable "crazy" cheer Mom. Politics used to be big in Texas High School Cheer. I can see wanting to avoid dealing with that Mom. 35 years ago I had tryouts in from of the student body. Our peers voted and it was a popularity contest. Teachers and admin. could quietly veto anyone trying out for any reason. I am glad things have improved since then.

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    WOW I've heard of things like that happening but I never met anyone who actually witnessed it. That. Sucks. I would not have made any team were it up to the student body. I was way too shy.

4. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    ^^^People who would have NEVER cheered if I had to try out in front of the whole school - ME.

5. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I could’ve handled the actual performance part, I just don’t think anyone would’ve remembered me when it came time to vote. I very much kept to myself and my little group of friends and that was that. I was not a social butterfly and did not have the big stereotypical cheer personality of some of my peers. I cheered all four years in HS, but by my senior year I still got a lot of, “Wait YOURE a cheerleader?” People just didn’t see me fitting the mold.

Interestingly, I think the “non-cheerleader” cheerleader is becoming more of a thing now. I feel like I get more girls each year who excel at cheer but don’t fit the stereotype, and are proud of it: girls in combat boots, girls with tattoos, girls who are hippie chic. Much more variety, and more of the personality type that wants to be the center or attention for a few minutes, but that’s it. I swear, if I’d been born ten years later my whole vibe would’ve been exalted, not ignored.

6. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yep, we tried out one at a time in front of the whole school in the morning. Then at the end of the day, they announced over the loudspeaker who made it. I was one of a few with the name Kristi. I did not make it, but 2 with my same first name did. At the time it was humiliating and embarrassing.

7. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I have coached at my HS for six years now, and I have seen a huge shift. We get so many girls from different groups, and there has been a big shift to true athletes wanting to cheer. It's not about popularity, it's about competition and winning and school spirit and all of the great things that make cheer unique. I get many kids that are great students, come from other sports and just fall in love with cheer.

8. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So true.

Don't get me wrong, I've coached some kids who REALLY enjoyed the Visibility At School aspect of cheering.

I had many cheerleaders on the Homecoming Court and part of Student Council (Those are big deals around this area) as a result of being known from cheer. But that has generally never been their main motivation for cheering.

The Lifetime Movie Stereotype (of cheer being a means to school clout) is significantly less accurate these days (not that it ever really was but kids now are so much different.)

That and I find today's school cheer athletes tend to love cheer but also love another activity, thus requiring some sharing and flexibility. Most of my cheerleaders were involved in at least one other time-consuming endeavor. Ex: Cheer and track was a common combo. I saw a lot of cheer + spring musical or orchestra as well.

9. CoachTamara

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Personally, I hate when coaches complain about sharing their athletes with another sport/activity. They are kids, and although cheer is number one priority for us, most kids want and need a balance. The only time we really make sure practices aren't missed is right before a big competition, and I've learned that our flexibility during "slower" times has allowed other coaches/teachers to be flexible with us when it's the high-stress weeks. Multi-sport athletes are always going to be an asset to my team and I honestly don't want cheer to be the end all be all for any of my kids. That's how they burn out.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I wasn't complaining at all! I think it's important for kids to be well-rounded as well (particularly with instruments/performing arts.)

11. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    That sucks so hard. Sometimes I think we as a society coddle kids too much, but then I remember stuff like this — things that are just unnecessary and kind of cruel — and I’m glad for the transition.

12. CoachTamara

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Oh no, not you at all.

I just see it all the time on coaching boards/groups, people whining that one kid will be 10 minutes late to tumbling because of another sport and other coaches chiming in that they need to be committed and to kick them off the team since they aren't 100% all in. Uhhh what. It makes zero sense to me.

13. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My biggest thing - COMMUNICATE WITH ME (both when I was coaching and with the student activity I advise.)

I've been fine with: "Hey next week I have orchestra extra rehearsal at 4."
    I am even okay with: "Hey we are stuck in traffic coming from my volleyball tournament, I'm going to be about to 10 min late."
    I can also handle: "Hey band added a last minute field show rehearsal and it is Saturday so I will miss ____."

I am less okay with: *parent and student knew about this extra rehearsal for 3 months and just told me the day before Big Event*
    We have a big problem if it's: "Hey I am sick." (Then is spotted at a bonfire.)

But my tolerance for sharing kids had to grow as kids started being more and more committed to other things.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Thinkpositivethoughts

Thinkpositivethoughts Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I just saw where a former classmate, teammate(school cheer, allstar cheer, and track) has been dismissed from her university for posting some very racist and homophobic videos on tik tok and into her Instagram account. Considering she was the one who gave me my first experience with racism I was not surprised. I was however surprised it took this many years for her true colors to shine through. I do however hope she somehow learns a lesson from this incident. But seeing as she is blaming the videos/photos on her accounts being hacked, even when it was her in the videos and you could tell plain as day that she was the one who recorded the videos.

15. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I
    Has this one gone viral or not yet?