OT New Random Thread 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I literally cannot believe what happened with United. The video made me sick to my stomach.

The fact that airlines can act this way and get away with it is insane. That dude probably won't be able to sue them, because United was technically (according to the rules), within their rights to treat him that way. He paid for a flight, was seated in his seat, and they're still allowed to forcibly eject him like he's a criminal, knocking him unconscious along the way.
"We apologize for having to re-accommodate our customers"

:cow:

Glad I've never flown United.

"We apologize for having to re-accommodate our customers"

:cow:

Glad I've never flown United.
I've never flown United, and will never.

And that was a decision I made well before this story, after complaints from friends about unexpected costs, rude staff, baggage mishandling, overbooked flights, and crappy food.

It's incredibly common to overbook. In fact, nearly every flight on any airline is overbooked. The difference is how they handled it. I have never worked for an airline but I have several friends who have, and I used to live with a couple flight attendants. If you know you need the seats, you should start soliciting at check in, offering vouchers or $$. If that doesn't work, up it and solicit at the gate. KEEP UPPING IT until someone takes it. If worst comes to worst, you call up the last people to check in and rebook them BEFORE they board. Don't let people on the plane and then remove them. Once someone is seated, they are already mentally on the trip and MUCH less likely to take whatever your offer may be.

I'm also not a fan of this new movement of dragging out someone's past when they are the victim of a public situation. Oh the doctor has issues about 10 years ago? Sucks. Still doesn't mean he deserved to be drug off a plane as a paying customer.

It's incredibly common to overbook. In fact, nearly every flight on any airline is overbooked. The difference is how they handled it. I have never worked for an airline but I have several friends who have, and I used to live with a couple flight attendants. If you know you need the seats, you should start soliciting at check in, offering vouchers or $$. If that doesn't work, up it and solicit at the gate. KEEP UPPING IT until someone takes it. If worst comes to worst, you call up the last people to check in and rebook them BEFORE they board. Don't let people on the plane and then remove them. Once someone is seated, they are already mentally on the trip and MUCH less likely to take whatever your offer may be.

I'm also not a fan of this new movement of dragging out someone's past when they are the victim of a public situation. Oh the doctor has issues about 10 years ago? Sucks. Still doesn't mean he deserved to be drug off a plane as a paying customer.
The journalists who dragged out things from his past should be ashamed of themselves. What he may or may not have done 10 years ago has no bearing on the situation at hand, unless he committed a crime that would justify him being forcibly removed. Which he did not.

It's fairly common to over book, living in Orlando and visiting parents in atlanta, any flight I've ever taken between the two cities is always completely booked and they almost always ask people to give up a seat or two for multiple reasons.
I'll agree that he may have over reacted, but I'll be honest if I got forced off a flight so that an employee could fly for free I'd have a few cuss words to announce to staff as well....

UK Fierceboarders, is November a decent time to visit London? Im looking into booking a trip, and don't want to wait a long time before going, but November is the cheapest. I looked at average temps and it looks to be warmer than it would be here in November, but I know it can vary a decent amount.

I live in the north but our temperatures don't vary too much. It's usually cold in November. You can probably count on a bit of rain. I think temps are usually below 10C.
What time in November? We have bonfire night on the 5th so you will be able to see fireworks from wherever you are and most places do a huge firework display with a bonfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK Fierceboarders, is November a decent time to visit London? Im looking into booking a trip, and don't want to wait a long time before going, but November is the cheapest. I looked at average temps and it looks to be warmer than it would be here in November, but I know it can vary a decent amount.

I live in London and it is usually quite cold. However, in recent years autumn/winters in the UK, especially in the south, have become milder so you are right, it can definitely vary. One thing you can probably count on is rain!!

In terms of things to do, November is definitely a decent time to go. As @RS_Amie said, if you're there during bonfire night there are some fantastic firework displays! If you go near the end you are likely to catch the start of the Christmas markets and Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland opens from mid November. And of course you've always got the landmarks, the West End, great places to eat, wonderful museums and galleries and amazing shopping! I would say July/August is the absolute best time to go but Nov/Dec are definitely close behind, London is gorgeous at both those times of year.

One of my close friends is a flight attendant and we discussed this over dinner the other night. He said that for the airline he works for, if people don't voluntarily give up their seats, they start pulling people that were the last to check in

But like everyone else said, what they did was disgusting and obnoxious. Digging up his past was even more disgusting and obnoxious.

Anyway. I made sure to check in for my flight today as soon as I could....but on the way back I'm going to wait until the last minute ‍♀️ (On the Today Show the other day they basically said to make the airline up the vouchers ‍♀️♀️)

But also if your moral compass allows you to NOT boycott United and instead take opportunity of their mess up....I saw a lot of cheap flights on their app yesterday ‍♀️

One of my close friends is a flight attendant and we discussed this over dinner the other night. He said that for the airline he works for, if people don't voluntarily give up their seats, they start pulling people that were the last to check in

But like everyone else said, what they did was disgusting and obnoxious. Digging up his past was even more disgusting and obnoxious.

I understand that this is technically an airline rule. I think it's a strange and potentially cruel rule, but still..

They just didn't seem to follow the rule properly, though. There's a missing step there, if you ask me, between offering $800 (nowhere near the maximum cash bonus they could offer), and forcibly removing the guy.

Expect plenty of rain but there shouldn't be much in the way of snow. Expect 5-12 degrees Celsius. London is very metro however and many of its main tourist attractions are rainy-day friendly. Or maybe we're just immune to the rain haha

I understand that this is technically an airline rule. I think it's a strange and potentially cruel rule, but still..

They just didn't seem to follow the rule properly, though. There's a missing step there, if you ask me, between offering $800 (nowhere near the maximum cash bonus they could offer), and forcibly removing the guy.

I'm not saying that rule applies to United...but I can say it applies to the airline my friend works for (the one I'm using this weekend)

I believe some article I read said that they pulled his name at random, but honestly we don't know bow he was selected.

And they certainly missed several steps in just "ejection " process

Delta gave one lady (and her family) $11,000 for giving up flights

Anyway. I made sure to check in for my flight today as soon as I could....but on the way back I'm going to wait until the last minute ‍♀️ (On the Today Show the other day they basically said to make the airline up the vouchers ‍♀️♀️)

But also if your moral compass allows you to NOT boycott United and instead take opportunity of their mess up....I saw a lot of cheap flights on their app yesterday ‍♀️

You're eligible for cash. If they try and give you a voucher tell them you're entitled to cash and want that instead.

I live in the north but our temperatures don't vary too much. It's usually cold in November. You can probably count on a bit of rain. I think temps are usually below 10C.
What time in November? We have bonfire night on the 5th so you will be able to see fireworks from wherever you are and most places do a huge firework display with a bonfire.

It'd be the end of the second week and beginning of the third week. I think the dates are the 9-14th.

I live in London and it is usually quite cold. However, in recent years autumn/winters in the UK, especially in the south, have become milder so you are right, it can definitely vary. One thing you can probably count on is rain!!

In terms of things to do, November is definitely a decent time to go. As @RS_Amie said, if you're there during bonfire night there are some fantastic firework displays! If you go near the end you are likely to catch the start of the Christmas markets and Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland opens from mid November. And of course you've always got the landmarks, the West End, great places to eat, wonderful museums and galleries and amazing shopping! I would say July/August is the absolute best time to go but Nov/Dec are definitely close behind, London is gorgeous at both those times of year.

I'll talk to my friend about maybe going later. I'd love to see London during Christmas time. We've both been there during the month of march before, but not together.

Expect plenty of rain but there shouldn't be much in the way of snow. Expect 5-12 degrees Celsius. London is very metro however and many of its main tourist attractions are rainy-day friendly. Or maybe we're just immune to the rain haha

It rained the last time I was there so I wouldn't expect anything less haha

Back