OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Speaking of Texas, I like to throw this in since we are talking about making assumptions...I assumed terribly that all of Texas weather will be like Mexico and almost froze my butt off. My cp very first NCA in 2013, I believe, we showed up with only short , t-shirts, sandals and flip-flops and I spent 3 days spending all my food money trying to buy warm clothing...The weather in Dallas during that time was like 20 degrees, I assumed it would be hot, hot, hot all year round...I learned a hard lesson, never make assumptions and always do research on a place...

I've never heard of a wedding shower until I read your wedding posts. Most or all guests bring the gifts to the wedding, but the bride and Groom (wife/husband) open the gifts after the wedding (later that night or next day). But it's like for family only or whomever the couple invites. I don't think I ever heard a couple (in my community) have a honeymoon either. It's so traditional in my community that if you break from it you'll be talked about for years. As for baby showers, I too would feel weird bring an unwrapped gift. And four hours is a long time especially if no gifts will be opened. I mean it doesn't take too long to open gifts.

Maybe you can put the chair together for her and then put the other smaller (unwrapped gifts) inside then put a bow on it.

When my cousin got married she did the open your gifts with family the next day. She's from Phoenix so all of our East Coast family was out there and his family came over to watch them open gifts. It's not something my family does, and since our family all does checks/cash at weddings, it was awkward to see her opening the cards and more or less announcing the dollar amount for her sister/MOH to make a note of.

We had a few people at my parent's house the day after my wedding (bridesmaid that was going to the airport with us, my out of town aunt) and I felt awkward opening all of my cards/cash with them around and it was even a "sit around and watch the B&G open cards" type of affair. It just made sense to open them and deposit the checks asap.

Couples don't do anything immediately after their wedding to get away and spend some time alone? I guess they could do that in their own home without needing a trip.

That's a great idea for the gift! If I opened it and put it together she probably couldn't return it, but it's on her registry so she probably won't return it anyway.

It was in the 50s when we left Chicago too, which is NOT actually glorious (no pool!!!). I usually LOVE the heat, but this is too much. The humidity is killing me. I am generally someone who hates Chicago because I want to be at the beach or pool every day of my life, but it was so hot on Sunday we couldn't even go to the beach. Today is not as bad - it's "only" like 94.

I'm stuck in my hotel room with a migraine today, so I'm not happy about that.

Unrelated - it drives me crazy when people say they are from Chicago and they're from the suburbs. There are a couple other teams down here from places like La Grange, and we keep hearing them say they're from Chicago. No, WE are here from Chicago. You're here from a suburb of Chicago. I know no one has heard of La Grange, but just say it's OUTSIDE Chicago. Stop trying to claim bad-a$$-ness that isn't yours. [emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I say I'm from Boston to out of towners. Yeah I grew up and now live outside the city, but I did used to work in the city (now I'm in a suburb for that too), but it's easier to just say one word than to say "outside Boston." Most people who aren't from Massachusetts won't care about the difference either way.

And Boston probably isn't the best comparison, because the city of Boston itself is tiny - it's only like 45 square miles. A lot of the surrounding communities are generally considered Boston even if they're not within the city limits. Chicago is 234 square miles.

I say I'm from Boston to out of towners. Yeah I grew up and now live outside the city, but I did used to work in the city (now I'm in a suburb for that too), but it's easier to just say one word than to say "outside Boston." Most people who aren't from Massachusetts won't care about the difference either way.

And Boston probably isn't the best comparison, because the city of Boston itself is tiny - it's only like 45 square miles. A lot of the surrounding communities are generally considered Boston even if they're not within the city limits. Chicago is 234 square miles.

It's one thing if it's somewhere like Schaumburg, which is about 10 feet outside Chicago. It's another when you're geographically closer to Milwaukee, WI than Chicago. [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

It's one thing if it's somewhere like Schaumburg, which is about 10 feet outside Chicago. It's another when you're geographically closer to Milwaukee, WI than Chicago. [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

I live and work inside the 95 loop around the city, so I'm going to consider that close enough :D Google Maps says it's a 45 minute drive to Chicago from Schaumburg and it takes me way less than that to drive into Boston (outside of rush hour of course

When my cousin got married she did the open your gifts with family the next day. She's from Phoenix so all of our East Coast family was out there and his family came over to watch them open gifts. It's not something my family does, and since our family all does checks/cash at weddings, it was awkward to see her opening the cards and more or less announcing the dollar amount for her sister/MOH to make a note of.

We had a few people at my parent's house the day after my wedding (bridesmaid that was going to the airport with us, my out of town aunt) and I felt awkward opening all of my cards/cash with them around and it was even a "sit around and watch the B&G open cards" type of affair. It just made sense to open them and deposit the checks asap.

Couples don't do anything immediately after their wedding to get away and spend some time alone? I guess they could do that in their own home without needing a trip.

That's a great idea for the gift! If I opened it and put it together she probably couldn't return it, but it's on her registry so she probably won't return it anyway.
That's incredibly awkward. And IMO a little tacky to proclaim your cash total, even though I'm sure she didn't mean it that way. I have never heard of the opening your gift with family thing. I've always been under the impression couples want to get away together. Most of my family and friends get a local hotel for the night and then leave for the honeymoon the next day.

That's incredibly awkward. And IMO a little tacky to proclaim your cash total, even though I'm sure she didn't mean it that way. I have never heard of the opening your gift with family thing. I've always been under the impression couples want to get away together. Most of my family and friends get a local hotel for the night and then leave for the honeymoon the next day.

Yeah, she definitely didn't mean it in that way. Her sister was keeping track for thank you notes. Our side of the family generally did other things in the house and didn't really want to watch. It's not something I had heard of before then. The physical gifts wouldn't be awkward, it's no different than a shower, but it was the cash/checks that were awkward.

When I opened our gifts the day after, my sister helped me keep track, but I was all "why do I even need to keep track of how much they gave me, who cares?" but she and my both both thought I should. But I made her sit next to me and tried to be really discrete about the amounts. I opened everything then because I wanted to start working on thank you notes on the plane.

We stayed in a hotel the night of our wedding, but our flight wasn't until Sunday night so we went back to my parents during the day and dropped off wedding stuff/reorganized our packing for our honeymoon and then my sister drove us to the airport.

Last edited:
Speaking of Texas, I like to throw this in since we are talking about making assumptions...I assumed terribly that all of Texas weather will be like Mexico and almost froze my butt off. My cp very first NCA in 2013, I believe, we showed up with only short , t-shirts, sandals and flip-flops and I spent 3 days spending all my food money trying to buy warm clothing...The weather in Dallas during that time was like 20 degrees, I assumed it would be hot, hot, hot all year round...I learned a hard lesson, never make assumptions and always do research on a place...

That's funny! Just for fun, I checked and Dallas is about the same distance from the Mexico border as it is from Nebraska. That's also the distance from NYC to South Carolina! :p

Theres no such prediction weather-wise in TX.

A little late to the weather talk, but it's been around 60 here for a month. Everybody's freaking out that we will not get a summer this year lol.

Back