OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I could only be lucky if my kids had the drive and determination to finish school the way you do right now, especially under those circumstances. I know it does not seem like it now but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it will be so worth it for you regardless of how long it takes.

You are an amazing young lady and despite how you are feeling have nothing to hang your head low for.

@shawtyBHADDx3, I think once you finished HS, all that wanting to graduate with your peers go out the window... I congratulate you for sticking it out and you will make it one day to walk across that stage, if you choose to walk... Frankly, I really think, people stop counting how long it takes to graduate and get a degree. I graduated from Rutgers for the first time when I was about 22, and right beside me was my Mom, and she was well into her 40s, and to be honest, I spotted many more 30s and 40 year olds than 20 year olds in my class. I think the difference is most older graduates do not bother or care about that ceremony, they are out in the world, making that extra cash.

PS: Congrats and forge ahead and get that degree!;)

Thank you both, I know that I will finish strong whenever that may be. It gets rough sometimes & I may want to quit but I'll finish it through.
I think a lot of it comes from my family. Although they may not come out directly and say " you're a screw up" it feels that way a lot.
Especially when my mom likes to talk about how she took night classes and works in an office during the day and paid for her school. Or how she'll tell me I'm not looking hard enough since "jobs are out there". But she refuses to acknowledge that it's a different time.
Thank you both for the encouragement I really do appreciate it.

I'm currently at a PWI but in area with a huge black population. I went to minority majority school in a white city. My school is great for me because it has the diversity I'm accustomed to. I think I would've been fine at HBCU. For me it came down to the $$ and really the other things I wanted to do in college. But I would recommend any POC to look into HBCU's because they really offer a different support than many large PWI's. I think that's the one thing I wished I had at my PWI.

Beyonce isn't coming anywhere close to me, BUT she will be in Louisiana where my parents live. And tickets aren't that expensive. And flights aren't too terrible right now heck I would even drive.

So I didn't graduate with my class this year because of transferring and generally taking longer and it's just really hard seeing all my peers graduate. I watched Obama's speech at what would have been my graduation and it hit me really hard. I know everyone has their own pace and I should be proud of myself for continuing and that I'll get there but I can't help feeling like a failure. Its just been rough. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my best friends took an extra year to graduate due to transferring and we always joked about her being a fifth year senior but she always knew it was in good fun. There are tons of people who don't graduate on time and they're still successful. And even graduating late is better than never graduating.

So I didn't graduate with my class this year because of transferring and generally taking longer and it's just really hard seeing all my peers graduate. I watched Obama's speech at what would have been my graduation and it hit me really hard. I know everyone has their own pace and I should be proud of myself for continuing and that I'll get there but I can't help feeling like a failure. Its just been rough. [emoji20]

I was at my brothers college graduation this weekend and they had a guy walk the stage who had to be atleast 70. He had the loudest and longest applause out of anyone. I had many classmates who were in their 40s and 50s. There's definitely no time limit on completing your degree.

Your decision to continue your degree despite your adversity shows nothing but your dedication to your education and your future and that attitude will carry you far in life. Maybe even further than your peers who graduated in four years. It's tough for new college grads to be taken seriously in the work force... but sometimes employers really value how well potential employees can handle challenges because it translates well into the work environment. You may be better off than your peers and more prepared for the professional world and you don't even know it yet.

Just keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
@shawtyyBHADDx3 - Don't stress! I'm finding more and more students in my classes who are in their mid to late twenties. It's more normal that people think.

I graduated high school in 2011, and I still haven't graduated college. I lasted 2 months in college before I was kicked out and my parents sent me to rehab which I was in and out of for the next year and a half. My parents paid for an entire year of college that I didn't even go to. By the time I got back to school, I was so far behind.

We all have our reasons to spending a little extra time. I think it works to your advantage though. When you graduate, you'll be a little older and you might have more job opportunities because people won't think your still a crazy 22 year old in need of money.

When I was getting my Masters, I remember being in class with a lady who was 60, retired from the electric company and decided that she wanted to be a teacher.

Never give up!

I went to someone other than my normal waxer. It was a mistake. I was trying to grow out the inside of one brow and she waxed it off ☹️ fortunately it was only 4 weeks worth of growth and my eyebrows grow reallllyyyy fast. But I won't be making that mistake again.

@tumbleyoda How often do you teach layouts before tucks?

Tricky question. :) I approach the teaching of a salto as a salto. A somersault with no hands. The change in body position is determined by the level of athletes. I teach set, shrug of shoulders, lift body (rise) to horizontal with athlete spotting the toes as they rise and then initiate what ever position or skill that the athlete is working. (tuck, layout, full) then extension (stretch to landing. Looking at it from the outside in the way I teach it it looks like a lay tuck. Not a stalled out version but a definite set and rise before the tuck shape happens.

My younger coaches tend to teach a tuck first, then layout. IMO they tend to be ground to ground. Meaning that the second their feet hit the ground out the BHS they are pulling the tuck and the hold on onto their feet hit the ground again. Very little height at all. If they rushed the progression just to get the tuck then I always have to go back and rework the set and lift part. So I (and the more experienced tumble coaches at our gym) try to eliminate that step when teaching saltos. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Back