OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Well, I do want them to be there... It's how we run our business. Internships are not about wanting to be there. They're about showing that you're ready to grow up and work.

I didn't ask if she "wanted" to be there. She applied for an internship and I gave her one. So she should either do the job that she asked for, or not.

And it's not like I've never been an unpaid intern. I just have a work ethic. We have 7 other interns that don't completely suck. And she needs the credits to graduate this summer, so don't think I won't be calling her school and letting them know we fired her. She had 5 more weeks, and she's 22. Time to grow up.

Side note - it's unpaid in money. But they get free dance classes. She's a dancer. Dance is a small world (like any other industry). Having a big name person (not me lol - my boss) fire you is no bueno.

I'm a super nice boss (probably too nice, which is the problem). But I can only take so much. This was probably a very stupid bridge for her to burn, considering the people that work there.

(can you tell I'm pi$$ed? She has completely screwed us over, so I'm pretty salty today)
What kind of internship is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Just-a-Mom

I have had high school or early college aged students ask to volunteer coach with me. They "like lovvveeee cheer" and want to get practice coaching someday. Cool.

Then they come in and:

• text.
  • sit there.
  • chit chat with the girls when they're supposed to be doing something I asked them to do.
  • "help me" by taking selfies in their coaching outfits.
I usually ask them to go home after 3 days of that.

@Ashley if you're going to be in London for the last week of the month then a lot of the museums do "lates". They're open late (duh), 18+ only and have bars and food stands and things, sometimes music. It's a fun way of doing museums without loads of screaming children and having to wait to see everything - they're usually relatively empty. The best ones are the V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum, I normally try to go to at least one a month with my boyfriend and they don't get old.

TimeOut is good for things to do on specific dates in London.

St James' Park is a nice place for a picnic if the weather's good, plus there are pelicans there, which is really bizarre for England. And if you walk towards Buckingham Palace end there's a pretty good photo spot that is less crowded than around the Victoria memorial.

There is an app you can get which gives I think half price for dinner if you make a reservation for the same night, but I can't remember what it's called right now, I'll get back to you if I remember!

I always end up writing way too much stuff when people ask for things to do in London so I'll stop haha.

(But I'll probably come back and edit when I think of the 99th "must-do"!)

Okay I'm sorry but teachers shouldn't be allowed to give us a final based completely around technology if they don't know how to use the technology themselves. We're supposed to make a movie and they keep saying "they've made professional full length movies on ipads you can do it"
A - if this was an AP class then we would all have iPads but it's not. So you're expecting us to get the whole movie shot and edited on an iPad in ONE CLASS PERIOD THAT YOU CHECKED THEM OUT FOR???
B - those are PROFESSIONALS who know how to use the technology not students who have never edited a movie before
C - I already shot my video and now iMovie won't let me edit it and you can't help because even though you're all talk about how easy it is to use an iPad to make a movie, you don't actually know how to do it at all.

Anyway, the school made me return my borrowed iPad so I used iCloud to share my videos with my account but the iMovie app isn't letting me put those videos into iTunes now. Any idea why? This stupid thing is worth 40% of my grade so I really need to do well on it.

What kind of internship is it?
Not sure what you mean lol... It's administrative work. Some people do it for school, so they get "hours" or whatever. Some aren't students, but are professional dancers that need our classes but can't afford to pay for them (our interns get unlimited classes, including master classes). They also get to work with and meet some very important and influential people in performing arts (mainly choreographers, studio owners, company execs, directors, etc). In exchange, they do some administrative work for about 6-12 hours a week. It's supposed to teach them about the business side.

This particular girl came to us through her school. She needed some type of business/administration thing - her major is something like "performing arts management" or something like that (that I've never heard of). She's gotten to go to performances for free, charity events, etc, take master classes with Ray Mercer, Fabrice Calmels, Ray Leeper, etc... Lots of cool things that most people her age would not get to do FOR FREE. So she's getting credits for school, plus all these perks that if she used them right could get her off to a good start in her field.

So I'm a little put off by her right now. She's giving me this sob story about drama with her roommates, which I want to feel sorry for her about... But we're running a business.

Not sure what you mean lol... It's administrative work. Some people do it for school, so they get "hours" or whatever. Some aren't students, but are professional dancers that need our classes but can't afford to pay for them (our interns get unlimited classes, including master classes). They also get to work with and meet some very important and influential people in performing arts (mainly choreographers, studio owners, company execs, directors, etc). In exchange, they do some administrative work for about 6-12 hours a week. It's supposed to teach them about the business side.

This particular girl came to us through her school. She needed some type of business/administration thing - her major is something like "performing arts management" or something like that (that I've never heard of). She's gotten to go to performances for free, charity events, etc, take master classes with Ray Mercer, Fabrice Calmels, Ray Leeper, etc... Lots of cool things that most people her age would not get to do FOR FREE. So she's getting credits for school, plus all these perks that if she used them right could get her off to a good start in her field.

So I'm a little put off by her right now. She's giving me this sob story about drama with her roommates, which I want to feel sorry for her about... But we're running a business.
That's exactly what I meant! Wow, that internship sounds like an amazing opportunity for any dancer.

My husband and I are heading to Paris and London in two weeks for a belated honeymoon. I got a bunch of great suggestions last time I asked here (New New Random Thread... | Page 895 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

We have 4 full days in Paris, plus the day we arrive and the day we head to London. Two of those days will be spent at Roland Garros for tennis, and we plan to do sightseeing the other two days. We're staying near the Louvre.

Then we head to London and have 3 full days there. One day is going to be spent at the Harry Potter museum and we have tickets to see The Book of Morman one night. Otherwise we have two full days for sightseeing. We're staying next to Victoria Station near Buckingham Palace.

I know we got a lot of great suggestions last time I asked, but figured I'd throw it out there again. Any suggestions for apps we should get or things we should see?! My husband isn't big on museums, so I can probably only drag him to one in each city.
Yplan is a great app for ideas for things to do. Drinki offers you a free cocktail at participating bars if you check in on Facebook with the app. If you can grab a copy of TimeOut when you arrive or just check out the website that could also be a great option on figuring out what interests you.

I ALWAYS take people to the Natural History Museum. They do a late night evening session called Lates on the last Friday of the month which is fun.

You'll be quite central so do make sure to do the big draws: Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey etc and if you get the time to travel east, Tower of London. That shouldn't be too much of a problem as Tower Hill is a 20 minute tube ride from Victoria. Don't bother with Piccadilly, it's a poor man's Time Square. Southbank usually has fun markets and festivals going on, last week there was a Taste of Spain one which I loved.

Is there any kind of food you like particularly? The good thing about Victoria is you'll be able to bus/tube/cab/uber anywhere pretty quickly. And I work in Victoria near Buckingham Palace so I have a good idea of where you'll be staying! Drop me a PM if there's anything in particular you're interested in!

ETA: Missed @Ren's reply!

Exactly! My brother has ADHD and Aspergers and he's really not super motivated in school but he's really smart. After he took honors in 8th grade (before they eliminated it) he was like "wow, I want to take all honors classes, they're so much more enjoyable and the conversation and motivation of everyone is just better." He actually enjoyed his classes (a first) and was motivated to do well.
He took one year of contracting for honors and decided never to take honors English/studies again because it was all busy work and there were none of those benefits he expected so it was back to not being motivated.
It's kids like him that it's hurting. I'm fine because I take AP classes so I've never contracted for honors, but there are some kids who truly need the honors class to be an option. My mom goes to every single meeting where they talk about it and speaks her opinion because she feels so passionately about it. It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know any parents who actually like it.

See, I took all honors classes and did a couple of AP internship classes so this would have been horrible for me. Why is "honors" a status symbol but AP isn't? That's such a stupid reason for taking the classes away for kids who benefit from them. It's poorly preparing kids for college.

@Ashley if you're going to be in London for the last week of the month then a lot of the museums do "lates". They're open late (duh), 18+ only and have bars and food stands and things, sometimes music. It's a fun way of doing museums without loads of screaming children and having to wait to see everything - they're usually relatively empty. The best ones are the V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum, I normally try to go to at least one a month with my boyfriend and they don't get old.

TimeOut is good for things to do on specific dates in London.

St James' Park is a nice place for a picnic if the weather's good, plus there are pelicans there, which is really bizarre for England. And if you walk towards Buckingham Palace end there's a pretty good photo spot that is less crowded than around the Victoria memorial.

There is an app you can get which gives I think half price for dinner if you make a reservation for the same night, but I can't remember what it's called right now, I'll get back to you if I remember!

I always end up writing way too much stuff when people ask for things to do in London so I'll stop haha.

(But I'll probably come back and edit when I think of the 99th "must-do"!)

That's good to know! We get to London on May 30, which is a Saturday, so it might not work out, but I'll check it out.

Thank you! Feel free to share whatever you want!

Well, I was in Paris last weekend, so I have a little "wisdom" to pass on... Be very careful about your valuables in touristic places, even if they're not too crowded. Nothing of value in your pockets, I mean it.
After visiting Montmartre and the Sacré-Coeur, I was in line for the funicular to go back down the hill. There was one leaving in less than a minute so people were starting to push forward (because apparently waiting 3 minutes until the next one is too hard...). Someone was seriously crowding me on my left side so I thought maybe he was with the group in front of me, so I went back a couple steps to see if he wanted to join them. That's when I felt his index finger hooked in my pocket. I clamped one hand on that pocket (and felt my phone was still in there, thankfully), the other on my bag, and made sure to be loud enough so that he wouldn't have a choice but to leave quickly.

I think I was pretty lucky, because my pockets are deep (litteraly... not so much figuratively...), so you really had to dig in to get to the phone (which I almost never put in my pocket by the way, so I think he saw me check the time and slip it in my pocket... creepy...). He also probably counted on me to rush forward like everyone else, in which case all he needed was two fingers grabbing my phone and it would have slipped out easily and I probably wouldn't have felt it. My slight agoraphobia actually proved useful !

So yeah, be careful about that. And be prepared for annoyingly persistant people selling crap at every single touristic spot.
But other than that not-so-pleasant anecdote, Montmartre is lovely for a casual stroll and there are some cheap enough places to eat (in terms of "Paris prices", the city as a whole is outrageously expensive). The Sacré-Coeur is a very pretty church and can be a nice break if the weather isn't too good.

:( I've heard Paris has a lot of pick pockets. I have a little cross body bag that zippers closed that I plan to use adn I think my husband will put his wallet in a different pocket.

Thank you!

Yplan is a great app for ideas for things to do. Drinki offers you a free cocktail at participating bars if you check in on Facebook with the app. If you can grab a copy of TimeOut when you arrive or just check out the website that could also be a great option on figuring out what interests you.

I ALWAYS take people to the Natural History Museum. They do a late night evening session called Lates on the last Friday of the month which is fun.

You'll be quite central so do make sure to do the big draws: Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey etc and if you get the time to travel east, Tower of London. That shouldn't be too much of a problem as Tower Hill is a 20 minute tube ride from Victoria. Don't bother with Piccadilly, it's a poor man's Time Square. Southbank usually has fun markets and festivals going on, last week there was a Taste of Spain one which I loved.

Is there any kind of food you like particularly? The good thing about Victoria is you'll be able to bus/tube/cab/uber anywhere pretty quickly. And I work in Victoria near Buckingham Palace so I have a good idea of where you'll be staying! Drop me a PM if there's anything in particular you're interested in!

ETA: Missed @Ren's reply!

We get to London on Saturday the 30th, so looks like we'll miss Lates at the museum. Bummer! I'm sure I'll head over to tower of London.

Nothing particular for food. I know London has a lot of good Indian and my husband it always trying to get me to go to an Indian restaurant, so that I guess?

Last edited:
Sent my tryout video to 2 gyms so far! Looks like your girl is coming out of all star cheer retirement ;) hoping one of those teams work out, if not if anyone knows of any open teams in New England (with reasonable driving distance from western mass) please let me know!!! :) :)

What's reasonable distance? Cause we have tryouts on June 7th. I think Brittany who is graduating from your team is coming back to the gym.

We get to London on Saturday the 30th, so looks like we'll miss Lates at the museum. Bummer! I'm sure I'll head over to tower of London.

Nothing particular for food. I know London has a lot of good Indian and my husband it always trying to get me to go to an Indian restaurant, so that I guess?

You've lucked out cause you're talking to the Curry Queen! [emoji1]

East London is fabled for its long road of Indian restaurants called Brick Lane. Just a few streets away is my all time favourite, Tayyabs. Unrivalled, not fancy just really good food and weird waiters who memorise your order. The best thing about it is licensed for Bring Your Own Bottle/Booze! There's a strategically placed grocery shop at the top of the road so you can buy yourself a nice bottle of your choice to have with your meal. I don't know if BYOB is a thing in the states but it's cheeky way to save a bit of money on a night out. I do realise that it's not a draw for everyone though so here are some other Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi places that I like:
Dishoom
Sheba
Cinnamon Club

You've lucked out cause you're talking to the Curry Queen! [emoji1]

East London is fabled for its long road of Indian restaurants called Brick Lane. Just a few streets away is my all time favourite, Tayyabs. Unrivalled, not fancy just really good food and weird waiters who memorise your order. The best thing about it is licensed for Bring Your Own Bottle/Booze! There's a strategically placed grocery shop at the top of the road so you can buy yourself a nice bottle of your choice to have with your meal. I don't know if BYOB is a thing in the states but it's cheeky way to save a bit of money on a night out. I do realise that it's not a draw for everyone though so here are some other Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi places that I like:
Dishoom
Sheba
Cinnamon Club

It's a thing here too. Not super common, but it exists. I don't think we've ever done it though.

Thank you!

Back