OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@cupieqt and @NJ Coach as coaches how would you like to be approached by the athlete or parent addressing safety concerns?

Keep in mind the coaches know the kid is busting at this point and have said nothing.

Or should the kid just throw the skills she is capable of doing sagely at that point and not even say anything to the coaches?

**hmmmmm, did I take my meds today?**

@cupieqt and @NJ Coach as coaches how would you like to be approached by the athlete or parent addressing safety concerns?

Keep in mind the coaches know the kid is busting at this point and have said nothing.

Or should the kid just throw the skills she is capable of doing sagely at that point and not even say anything to the coaches?

The coaches don't need to meet about it. Just talk to your kid so she knows what's up. If they ask her why she's not throwing the high level skills she only needs to tell them that she isn't throwing any elite skills when she's tired at the end of practice in order to preserve correct muscle memory and to prevent injury. If they have a problem with that then you can respectfully step in and discuss it with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those with Macs, is it worth it to upgrade the current operating system? I'm still using the one before the current one, and the reviews for it are super mixed, and I'm not sure if its even worth it since the new one is coming out this fall.
If it's Yosemite, DONT DO IT. I went from my battery lasting more than a day to lasting a few hours. I got my MacBook last year and it makes me so mad because I always have to charge it now.

Question for the coaches, sports therapy/medicine folks. @cupieqt @SarahS @NJ Coach @ShoWStoppeR

Practice is 2 1/2 hours. At start of practice CP can land standing back handsprings to fulls, but by end of practice (part of their conditioning) she lands hard on her knees every time. Is this okay, or is repetitive falling on her knees (she already has knee pain/issues) something to take serious. I asked her to talk to Coach, but she insist she is fine. It concerns me.

At that point, throwing those skills when they are that tired is useless. It means their form is being compromised and potentially causing it to be altered to pick up bad habits, causing more harm than good, and definitely risking injury. Think of it as having the same kind of impact as the pounding the joints take when running, or even tumbling for that matter, only worse, because of the direct contact. Now I am not a coach, but from my perspective, that is not good coaching to be having kids throwing their hardest skills at the end of a practice after working hard for 2.5 hours. That's how injuries happen. Again, not a coach, but if I were one, and with my sports medicine background, I would run my practices as such- When they get there, have a proper warm up. Not skills warm up, just getting ready for athletics warm up. Then, the cheer warm up. (this practice format would only apply once they are in season and have a routine) Treat it like a competition- have so many minutes for each aspect of the routine and warm it up. Then run the routine a few times, with adequate breaks in between. Then slowly phase out parts, and only run certain sections, so they can still practice the skills with a bit of an elevated HR to simulate competition routines, but not to the point they are so fatigued they will crash and burn. Examples being just jumps and tumbling, just stunts and baskets, etc. That should take care of a good bit of half the practice or so. For the remainder of the practice, they can target areas that have issues and need improved upon. Depending on how many practices you have a week, that would be one format. Say you practice 3 times a week. You run 2 practices in said format, and you use the last practice as a conditioning and skills day. Conditioning involving injury prevention type workouts, and skills training being, well, working on new skills. I understand that in her case the bhs full is necessary for the routine, but throwing it over and over and falling over and over does nothing. Instead, bring her in on a fresh day, and have her work that skill individually. Once she can hit it 10/10 without any other factors (fatigue, running it full out in a routine, etc) it may begin getting incorporated into a routine, bringing on the possibility of said factors. This is in my mind a prime example of how the idea of progression is often forgotten or muddled. Yes, she went through the progressions to get the skill, but she also needs to go through the progressions to perform the skill. Having a skill and performing a skill in a competition based environment are two very different things. Take a basketball player for instance. they may sink 100/100 free throws at practice, and then miss every shot in a game. There are always outside factors we can't control, but there are also outside factors that can be controlled, that people tend to forget about when looking at the bigger picture.
sigh, yes another reason I want to get my hands dirty in a cheer gym working as an ATC.
I hope this answered your question, I tend to ramble when I get fired up about certain topics :)
PS- since by the sounds of it they don't have much conditioning in practice, she would definitely benefit from some functional/strength training on her own time. Explosive type training, such as plyometrics, can do a cheerleader wonders. If you would like some more conditioning type workouts, feel free to PM me.

For those with Macs, is it worth it to upgrade the current operating system? I'm still using the one before the current one, and the reviews for it are super mixed, and I'm not sure if its even worth it since the new one is coming out this fall.

I'd hold off and wait and read more reviews. My Mac Book is 5 years old, which is old in laptop years but, every single software update or upgrade seems to slow it down tremendously.

SYTYCD live shows are back! woooo

We got rid of cable, so we longer have a DVR. I completely forgot to watch it last night live which means I have to wait until today to watch it on demand on the Fox app (thanks mom & dad for the comcast login). It's so frustrating.

By some miracle I got a 3 on the AP Physics test. Seriously surprised I got above a 1... I knew NOTHING. I don't know if I get credit for that but I'm retaking the class second semester since I definitely don't know it and since I have to take physics 2 I actually need to know it. But I got a 5 on psych and stat so that's exciting! Which count as social science and a technical elective. Hopefully my ap credits (I also have the only English class I need to take, calc 1, and calc 2) keep my courseload reasonable since in later semesters I'm supposed to take 18 credits... They should keep me at 15 or 16 instead!

"by some miracle" uh you know you're really smart, right?

We got rid of cable, so we longer have a DVR. I completely forgot to watch it last night live which means I have to wait until today to watch it on demand on the Fox app (thanks mom & dad for the comcast login). It's so frustrating.

I'm pretty sure it's on Hulu Plus if you have that!

If it's Yosemite, DONT DO IT. I went from my battery lasting more than a day to lasting a few hours. I got my MacBook last year and it makes me so mad because I always have to charge it now.
I'd hold off and wait and read more reviews. My Mac Book is 5 years old, which is old in laptop years but, every single software update or upgrade seems to slow it down tremendously.

Thats what I thought! One of my friends upgraded and her computer is slow but I wasnt sure if it was because shes had it for a bit or it was the software. I just got mine in the middle of January so I'd rather not slow it down if not needed. And i like the battery life the way it is haha

I'm pretty sure it's on Hulu Plus if you have that!

Nah, we don't have Hulu Plus. With my old comcast email address tied to my parent's account, we don't really need it. I'm sure it's up on the fox app now, but it wasn't yet last night when @cheerKT's twitter reminded me it was on.

I miss series recordings :'(

Thats what I thought! One of my friends upgraded and her computer is slow but I wasnt sure if it was because shes had it for a bit or it was the software. I just got mine in the middle of January so I'd rather not slow it down if not needed. And i like the battery life the way it is haha

Was it brand new then? Shouldn't it already have Yosemite? I got mine in December and I'm pretty sure it came with Yosemite. There might be minor software updates, but there hasn't been a new version since you got yours.

"by some miracle" uh you know you're really smart, right?
Aha thanks [emoji5]️ but seriously I guessed on all but maybe 5 questions in the multiple choice section. It was legitimately the hardest test I've ever taken. My teacher focused on motion the whole year and there were like 3 motion questions and the rest were things we never even heard of. It was a new test this year and obviously everyone did terrible. Only 4.9% of people taking the test got 5s, the majority got 1/2/3, whereas usually very few people get a 1 or 2 and the majority are 3/4/5.
The standards had to be pretty low for me to get a 3. According to collegeboard, a 3 means you're qualified... And I am in NO WAY qualified in Physics.

Was it brand new then? Shouldn't it already have Yosemite? I got mine in December and I'm pretty sure it came with Yosemite. There might be minor software updates, but there hasn't been a new version since you got yours.

Nope. I have the air and it came with the previous one. I got it from BestBuy so maybe it was shipped there before Yosemite came out?

I would prefer, if a parent wanted to talk with me about safety concerns, it was done privately. My preferred way of communication is email first, but that's just me.

I agree with everything @cupieqt and @ShoWStoppeR have said. Having your daughter trying to throw those skills at the end of practice accomplishes nothing, and you have every right to be concerned.

Back