OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Literally my least favorite part about living in NC. I want to run for office just on that platform alone.

NC has some of the strangest alcohol laws I've ever seen. You can buy beer and wine in supermarkets, but liquor only in liquor stores (which is the same as SC). It's different here in that liquor stores are owned by the government. All the ones around here are called ____________ County ABC. In SC any ole person can open up their own liquor store. They do close at 7pm in SC though and I believe 9pm here. Drink discounts have to be all day in NC. Occasionally this works out in your favor, like certain places having $3 drafts all day or something. But the discounts are never as steep as they would be for a Happy Hour. (In SC it would usually mean like, $2 domestics and half priced wine or something.) Happy Hours in NC usually means half priced appetizers and IT'S FALSE ADVERTISING, TBH.

The weirdest rule though is the membership rule. They really just started enforcing it, but it's been on the books forever. If an establishment makes 30% more off of alcohol than they do off food, you have to be a "member" of that establishment. Meaning you sign in a book, sometimes pay $1, become a member and get like 2-3 "plus ones" every time you go. You have to show your membership card or have them look you up at the door each time. Pretty much any bar in the country makes over 30% more off of alcohol, so this is really taking over. My wallet is full of membership cards to bars, tap rooms, sports bars and even some restaurants. Breweries don't count under this for some reason, so I'm thankful for that. I've lost a bunch of cards so thankfully most places let you show a picture of it on your phone or look you up. Or I just come in as someones plus one. This is literally such a pointless and annoying law. Seriously, WHAT does it do?

I think I want to create an app that organizes all of your membership cards. But it's probably already in existence like every good idea seems to be.
I knew MA had weird alcohol laws since my parents are from there but I didn't realize it was so common? Like omgitssydthekid said its unrestricted in MO. We do have liquor stores but I'm not sure why since you can sell all that in the grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I guess maybe they have more options? I've never been in one lol but we have several including one with drive through and delivery options. Also from what I've heard the mildly sketchy ones seem to be easy on fakes whereas grocery stores aren't. We have grocery stores with a whole separate section where all the alcohol is and they have a ton so I'm not sure how much more a liquor store would have.
I suck and don't know how to double quote on the app so double post sorry.

But they're really similar, or sound very similar, to a wawa! The new ones (the gen 3 style) have all the same kind of stuff, I'm not sure about the old quiktrips though.

And I only know they're called gen 3 because I dated a guy a worked at one [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

according to their locator CoMo doesn't have one. I definitely wish we did!!

Shoutout to Illinois and its lax alcohol laws. Pretty sure you can buy stuff here till 2am? And none of the only certain things can be sold at certain places. When I went to school in Wisconsin I hated having to buy stuff by 9pm.

Shoutout to Illinois and its lax alcohol laws. Pretty sure you can buy stuff here till 2am? And none of the only certain things can be sold at certain places. When I went to school in Wisconsin I hated having to buy stuff by 9pm.
You can definitely buy wine and beer all over the place at any hour. Except in certain counties in SC that are still dry on Sundays, so nothing after midnight on Saturday. Liquor is the only thing that's regulated by the time like that.

I am currently stressing if I will even graduate because of my internship. The actual job site is great but the professor running the course is possibly the most difficult creature I have ever encountered. I may have to complete another semester of undergrad because of a blog . . . . I have no clue what to do I feel like I am pretty much screwed.
Go to your department head, and if that doesn't go anywhere go to the Dean of Students (or similar position). If you are doing the work there is no reason why you shouldn't graduate. I would raise holy hell until it gets resolved.
I find it interesting the amount of professors who are either incompetent, unresonable or both. I don't remember experiencing it to the same degree while I was in college (back in the dinosaur age), but my daughter has had a couple of absolutely awful professors who have no business being able to keep their job. Good luck!

Haha, glad you got to experience it. I like Sheetz just as much as WaWa and I'm currently going through withdrawal. I went from having both within a mile or 2 from my house to having neither. Though the Raceway's here are on point, the few I've been to have had a full on frozen yogurt section with tons of flavors and a toppings bar haha.
Pls go to Bucces. The closest one near Dallas is the one in Terrell. Its amazing

9pm???? That's strange. In Iowa it's 2 am as well and I believe you can't purchase it again until 6am

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I like New Hampshire's system: state run in the BEST WAY possible. Gigantic stores and really cheap booze.

9pm???? That's strange. In Iowa it's 2 am as well and I believe you can't purchase it again until 6am

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Yep. It was terrible if you were like me and didn't keep a lot/any on hand and plans were made at the last second. It was a shock after being able to buy until 2am at home.

In BC, grocery stores only sell non-alcoholic beer and wines. They passed a legislation that allows grocery stores to sell the real thing, but there are a ton of restrictions, and aren't super common.

We have about 3 Safeway stores that have "express" LC's in them. I think we call them LiquorMart's here now, but I'll forever call it the LC. Some small towns have LC's in gas stations etc because they just don't have the population to have a full store.

The idea of buying alcohol in a Walmart was so weird to me when we were in Vegas.

I like New Hampshire's system: state run in the BEST WAY possible. Gigantic stores and really cheap booze.

Alcohol is cheaper in NH than in MA too. Even at the regular townie packies, not just the state liquor stores. I live in MA right on the border and have a packie approximately 5 mins away each way, one in MA and one in NH and the exact same bottle, size, brand, etc is usually a good $2-$3 cheaper in the NH store. Works out well for me!

If you are near a Costco that sells alcohol you have to check it out. The bottles are as big as my head!

Some of the grocery stores here in MA sell alcohol - our wegmans and BJ's do. It's funny because that not a thing in NY and I forgot about it. And so when I was home, I went to BJ's to pick up a bottle of whatever as part of my brothers 21st birthday present (it was Sunday after 6 so almost everything was closed) and the employee who I asked "where is the alcohol section" looked at me like I had three heads. Then he asked if I was from around here and I said no to save myself from embarrassment even though I only lived there for 22 years :)

It's not really a thing here either. BJs probably gets away with it because it's a Warehouse Club thing, and grocery stores are only allowed to sell beer/wine at 5 of their locations. So Wegman's can sell it at all of theirs (though they're probably almost up to 5) but most stores don't sell it.

Last edited:
Back