OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
This is vaguely cheer-related, but I've been struggling with this...

How do you decide whether or not to continue taking tumbling classes? I've been having an insanely hard time deciding if this is something I truly like anymore [emoji17] I'm still relatively beginner level, and it's been really frustrating. I've been working on ROBHS for almost two years now with seemingly no progress. They are pretty good, but still. There will be a problem, in time I fix it, start throwing it a few times by myself, and a new problem develops (so back to spot). I've been doing some backhandspring series on the tumbl trak, but it's nothing like tumbling on floor (and I really dislike the feeling of ROBHS by myself on floor). I've thrown round off tuck into a pit a few times, and I loved it (but I can't make myself do it anymore!)

I just don't know if I don't like tumbling right now because I haven't made progress or if I truly don't like the feeling of tumbling.

I know this is really long, but I've been dealing with this for around 4 months [emoji17]

P.S. I only do HS cheer and it's in a non-tumble division, so tumbling isn't a requirement

We won the competition hairstyle battle! No. More. Braid!!! They're going with what we call the "Gio slick" instead (worn by our professional company - the adults). Side part, low, super flat, tight to the head bun. Like real dancers. I am quite pleased, because that's a hairstyle I do about 3 times a week already.

:cheering::chestbump::shimmy:

Yay!!!! I feel like that will look so much more professional. And it's easier [emoji136]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is vaguely cheer-related, but I've been struggling with this...

How do you decide whether or not to continue taking tumbling classes? I've been having an insanely hard time deciding if this is something I truly like anymore [emoji17] I'm still relatively beginner level, and it's been really frustrating. I've been working on ROBHS for almost two years now with seemingly no progress. They are pretty good, but still. There will be a problem, in time I fix it, start throwing it a few times by myself, and a new problem develops (so back to spot). I've been doing some backhandspring series on the tumbl trak, but it's nothing like tumbling on floor (and I really dislike the feeling of ROBHS by myself on floor). I've thrown round off tuck into a pit a few times, and I loved it (but I can't make myself do it anymore!)

I just don't know if I don't like tumbling right now because I haven't made progress or if I truly don't like the feeling of tumbling.

I know this is really long, but I've been dealing with this for around 4 months [emoji17]

P.S. I only do HS cheer and it's in a non-tumble division, so tumbling isn't a requirement

Maybe you can take a couple weeks off and then go back to it? And maybe it could give you a little bit of time to figure out what's going on. Do you really hate it or are you frustrated? It sounds like you're just discouraged that you're taking three and two steps back. (But look, you're still making progress!) also I would suggest conditioning more. Are there conditioning classes at the gym your tumbling at you could take? I'm sure if you ask any of the coaches for an at home conditioning schedule they would love to give you one. Conditioning would really help with tumbling. You get stronger and it will improve your tumbling at a faster rate.

Good luck!

ETA: it took me 7 years to get my BHS, I understand the frustration lol. Tumbling wasn't my specialty. Don't worry about how fast it takes you to progress. Focus on how strong your skills are.

Let's talk about the fact that the counselor they chose to come to all senior classes and present about scholarships can't pronounce FAFSA right. That makes her look really credible....

Let's talk about the fact that the counselor they chose to come to all senior classes and present about scholarships can't pronounce FAFSA right. That makes her look really credible....

Lol! A lot of people say it wrong as FASFA. Basically, you go to the website, and plug in your parents tax info from last year. Then when your parents file taxes this year, you update that information. It'll count as being done earlier if you submit last year's numbers now (and fix later) and don't wait for the new tax information. Earlier is better! Also, depending on where you're going to college, you'll be eligible for merit scholarships that you don't need to do a separate application for. I've filed the FAFSA 5 times and had to help with my siblings', I kind of feel like a financial aid expert now.

DID SHE SAY FASFA? That was my freaking pet peeve all through the college application process. You wouldn't believe how many people pronounced it that way. Come onnnnn, guys.

p.s. FAFSA is dead to me. I paid more money to go to school 7 miles away than a lot of my friends did from out of state. We were right on the cusp of making enough money so they don't award you grants or anything, but not making enough to ACTUALLY realistically afford college.

On that note, it's the 15th of the month. I'm off to make a student loan payment.

Lol! A lot of people say it wrong as FASFA. Basically, you go to the website, and plug in your parents tax info from last year. Then when your parents file taxes this year, you update that information. It'll count as being done earlier if you submit last year's numbers now (and fix later) and don't wait for the new tax information. Earlier is better! Also, depending on where you're going to college, you'll be eligible for merit scholarships that you don't need to do a separate application for. I've filed the FAFSA 5 times and had to help with my siblings', I kind of feel like a financial aid expert now.
DID SHE SAY FASFA? That was my freaking pet peeve all through the college application process. You wouldn't believe how many people pronounced it that way. Come onnnnn, guys.
Yeah she said it as FASFA about 50 times. I was like PLEASE STOP TALKING IM GONNA CRY. Plus I already did it so it didn't really apply to me :D

The only thing we got from FAFSA the past few years were loans with low interest rate. Now that I will have 2 in college next year I hope to get some sort of scholarship!

The only thing we got from FAFSA the past few years were loans with low interest rate. Now that I will have 2 in college next year I hope to get some sort of scholarship!
I think that FAFSA is mainly for government loans and the Pell grant. I know that in PA we apply for the state grant separately. Schools use the FAFSA to decide if you are eligible for need-based scholarships. A lot of scholarships from colleges are based on grades (merit scholarships).

p.s. FAFSA is dead to me. I paid more money to go to school 7 miles away than a lot of my friends did from out of state. We were right on the cusp of making enough money so they don't award you grants or anything, but not making enough to ACTUALLY realistically afford college.

On that note, it's the 15th of the month. I'm off to make a student loan payment.

Same. My financial aid counselor basically said to me "you're white and middle class, I can't help you. Here's a list of websites with scholarships." Thanks. My first semester FAFSA gave me less than $200 in financial aid. Like what is $200 gonna help me with? That doesn't even pay for the extra dining meal money allotted in my plan. You might as well not give me anything.

And don't get me started on the cost of college. Ridiculous.

I think that FAFSA is mainly for government loans and the Pell grant. I know that in PA we apply for the state grant separately. Schools use the FAFSA to decide if you are eligible for need-based scholarships. A lot of scholarships from colleges are based on grades (merit scholarships).
I am lucky my son gets $4000 from his college for his grades!!

Luckily I have a high ACT score and good grades so I have merit money at most of the schools I applied to... But it doesn't cover close to everything. We're at that spot too. My sister got nothing except low loans. Maybe they'll give us more this time but I doubt it.... Like yeah if you look at my parents salaries it looks like we'd be fine except that there are 5 kids and I'm only getting a set amount each year, they have no intention of paying for all of it. I sure don't make as much as them [emoji23]

Luckily I have a high ACT score and good grades so I have merit money at most of the schools I applied to... But it doesn't cover close to everything. We're at that spot too. My sister got nothing except low loans. Maybe they'll give us more this time but I doubt it.... Like yeah if you look at my parents salaries it looks like we'd be fine except that there are 5 kids and I'm only getting a set amount each year, they have no intention of paying for all of it. I sure don't make as much as them [emoji23]

Yeah the system is tricky. My friend's parents make too much money for FAFSA but they are in over their heads in debt so none of that money goes towards college. It stinks that it's based on your parents' income. Not all parents are willing to sell off all of their assets to pay for tuition. And they shouldn't have to anyway. College debt is a reality.

Thanks guys. I went to the assistant coach after practice to figure out what the heck happened. There are girls still on the team that don't tumble whatsoever and are essentially brand new to cheer. (Not to bash my teammates but yknow). So I'm an alternate now. If I don't make it on to the floor by our bid comp, it doesn't make sense financially to continue.

I hope everything works out! Open teams are always losing people, so you know never what could happen if you can manage to stick it out.

I didn't qualify for any FAFSA money because of my parents but I get a $9000 scholarship for my grades. I go to a private school to the scholarship I get make it relatively affordable as far as college goes so my parents just use a payment plan with the school to pay off my tuition each semester.

Back