All-Star New Rules Released Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is all sad. By retracting their rules so easily and not showing data to back up their claims on the original rules, it shows that these rules were made for special interest and not for safety that they claimed before. People need to make sure they remember the EP's that supported this and stood behind the USASF. They tried to pull a fast one and got caught.

And it isn't her fault there is no other gym that I as a parent trust her to go to where I am.

Again, I understand your frustration and applaud you for sticking to your morals in not switching gyms. Does your gym truly have that many kids over 18 that IOC is the only division they can compete in? or do they only choose that division for the lesser emphasis on tumbling, team size, etc.? Are other children at the gym in the same boat as yours? Maybe it's an issue worth bringing up to the gym owners if there are multiple kids affected and they don't *need* to be international. If that is the gym you're staying at, I can't offer you much more advice.

I don't stand up for the USASF often. They are guilty/responsible for many wrong doings, but denying a 12/13/14/15/16 year old the chance to go to worlds is not one of them. They do not control what divisions your gym, or any other gym for that matter, choose to compete in.

Again, I understand your frustration and applaud you for sticking to your morals in not switching gyms. Does your gym truly have that many kids over 18 that IOC is the only division they can compete in? or do they only choose that division for the lesser emphasis on tumbling, team size, etc.? Are other children at the gym in the same boat as yours? Maybe it's an issue worth bringing up to the gym owners if there are multiple kids affected and they don't *need* to be international. If that is the gym you're staying at, I can't offer you much more advice.

I don't stand up for the USASF often. They are guilty/responsible for many wrong doings, but denying a 12/13/14/15/16 year old the chance to go to worlds is not one of them. They do not control what divisions your gym, or any other gym for that matter, choose to compete in.

Exactly, it is up to your gym to decide what division they put a team in. They didn't make that rule just to sit back and say "HAHA now Suzy can't be on her team anymore." If anything they give more chances for these kids to go to worlds by handing out so many dang bids.

We don't have a large gym but are not classified as small. We have done a Senior 5 the past two years but they just were not strong enough collectively to get a bid let alone compete at Worlds. We have some kids who have graduated and some older that have been on our International Coed team and have managed to get bids the last two years. This year some kids age in from the Senior 5 and some will hang it up on the IOC which lead the coaches to take the best talent from both teams and make one very competitive team. My child was supposed to be one of them.

This age restriction WILL have a negative impact on the survival of some smaller and medium size gyms as voiced by other both here and the ASGA Facebook page. If the intent of the rule was to protect younger kids from the 24 year olds then this will not do so. They still practice in the same gym and go to the same competitions. At our gym we PRACTICE, there isn't time for much other than that and our coaching staff and older athletes are very aware and in some cases protective of the younger kids in our gym.

All I can say is that NOTHING about this situation is ok, period. Our BoD is stacked in such a way that one group can sweepingly make decisions and even if all the others vote otherwise, they can never overturn it. They completely went over everybody's heads making rules and chucking them out there without foresight, evidence, or courtesy. They then had to be strong-armed into a compromise in some capacity and basically gave a 'You will start doing what we say when we say it or else' response afterwards. They gave ZERO evidence of the situation that was apparently SO IMPORTANT that they had to disrupt the season with the rules TODAY, even though they won't go into effect until next season. The 'bandaids' they gave don't even address the REAL issue at hand, nor did they provide an answer for that as to how they're going to start handling it. All in all, there is a word my dearly departed Costume Teacher had to describe such situations..alas, due to its inappropriate nature, not only would the filter censor it, but my non-existent team at worlds would get a deduction for being too theatrical- except oh wait, I'm a girl.

I've also just come to the conclusion that if the USASF just listened to my suggestions the FIRST time, it wouldn't have been such a mess..

Why would they listen to your neutral and unaffiliated suggestions? The quest for international governance is at stake (ICU). The international organization selected than selects the home grown governing body (USA Cheer) and the president of both higher than USASF's governance is the CEO of Varsity Brands where the USASF is housed. The problem is when (like the story of the little dutch boy standing at the dike trying to plug up all the leaks) calls the same skill sets on a scoresheet an activity in one case and a sport in another. All of your injuries are gonna get lumped together. Camping stunts on grass is still OK by AACCA. Really? What I don't understand is why they would allow these tumbling skills to even be scored at Worlds this year IF they are dangerous and it is now in writing.

I can yes. But I would be putting her back into some situations that existed there previously and cannot/will not do so again. Besides that I am extremely supportive of the gym we are at currently. The thought has crossed my mind but then what am I teaching my child. You pick up and run when you don't like the situation? No, you fight for what you believe is right which is what I intend to do.

Furthermore, if I have considered it, how many other kids will leave (and rightfully so) a smaller gym to get on a level they want. This is playing out to be a bad rule for the survival of the smaller gyms and possibly others.

While I support the idea of teaching your kids to follow through and stick things out, I feel like that should be on a season to season basis. I do love the fact that you support your gym, I guess you just have to decide if you support your gym more then the idea of your daughter being on level 5, goodluck, I know it must be a hard choice . =)

While I support the idea of teaching your kids to follow through and stick things out, I feel like that should be on a season to season basis. I do love the fact that you support your gym, I guess you just have to decide if you support your gym more then the idea of your daughter being on level 5, goodluck, I know it must be a hard choice . =)

Thanks! I just can't trust my childrens safety to the other gyms in my area.

Sure it is....if you're Joseph Stalin. This reads like the KGB is going to show up on your door if you express a negative opinion. I'm pretty sure I remember teaching students something about a first amendment somewhere.....

SHIMMY x 1000!!!!!!!!!

I don't consider them a close competitor when looking at the score sheet. I see them as a distant second.
If you've seen actual scoresheets, please feel free to share. I have never seen scores from either team when directly competing against each other.

In comparing Panthers and Generals, I'd say CA generally seems to have better building and stunting, as well as much better overall execution. Now with that said, in reference to the point yojaehs was making; if Woodlands were to up their game in the other areas which currently are not being restricted, and it comes down to tumbling; scoresheets have that little ambigous area called "overall". So in theory, it seems two teams maxing out the *scoresheet* tumbling, that one might get an edge in that overall category if they were throwing full punch dubs, or dub dubs.

Granted the talk on this thread is primarily about tumbling and some age restrictions. I do have a child that is impacted by the tumbling rules. I really want to know about the 50% + 1 rule and what the impact on the 2012 - 2013 season it will have. Talk about dumbing down the sport. Any marginal team can win Worlds in some sort of weird alternate universe. Like I said in another thread this is the equivelent to "No Gym Being Left Behind".

If you've seen actual scoresheets, please feel free to share. I have never seen scores from either team when directly competing against each other.

In comparing Panthers and Generals, I'd say CA generally seems to have better building and stunting, as well as much better overall execution. Now with that said, in reference to the point yojaehs was making; if Woodlands were to up their game in the other areas which currently are not being restricted, and it comes down to tumbling; scoresheets have that little ambigous area called "overall". So in theory, it seems two teams maxing out the *scoresheet* tumbling, that one might get an edge in that overall category if they were throwing full punch dubs, or dub dubs.
I meant looking at the worlds score sheet, not previous ones. I don't think anyone touches panthers in execution on any section and I don't think woodlands touches Panther's difficulty.

Back