All-Star New Uniforms 2014-2015 Season...just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Year round schedules generally go 9 weeks on/3 weeks off.

The agrarian based "summer off" school calendar is over 100 years old for a society/economy that no longer exists. None of my kids (and I'm in a largely rural school) are harvesting anymore. We seriously need to scrap that calendar and institute something that reflects the 21st century....especially since were already 14 years into it...

....but I digress...

...and hijack....

#ashamed.
See yet that wouldn't work where I live in California unfortunately. Our boys literally drive tractors, move rain pipe, (etc) from 6 am to 7 pm starting the day summer starts, until the day it ends.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This is the first year in a long time our high school cheer has gone coed. In the past we've had football players help with baskets at practice but competition has been all girl. Our boys this year will compete with us and cheer all the way through basketball season but the coach still won't get them uniforms, they get our team t-shirt and black basketball shorts. I hate it

I can't stand seeing boys in basketball shorts and a T-shirt, especially when the girls have such nice uniforms.
Probably a pet peeve of mine because I'm the mom of a male cheerleader but nothing says "you don't matter to us or our program" anymore than a pair of basketball shorts and a screen printed tee shirt. I get that uniforms are expensive (trust me I bought four last season!) and boys are generally less able to pay than the girls are, but since when does that make it okay to be an afterthought?

In my World it's actually illegal (title VX) to shortchange equipment, facilities or resources because one demographic based on gender is less able to pay and that's usually the argument people give for not having matching uniforms of the same general quality.

This is the first year in a long time our high school cheer has gone coed. In the past we've had football players help with baskets at practice but competition has been all girl. Our boys this year will compete with us and cheer all the way through basketball season but the coach still won't get them uniforms, they get our team t-shirt and black basketball shorts. I hate it
See... Here that coach is in complete violation of Title VX. Well they are there as well it's just whether anyone is planning to make a fuss over it. If someone chooses to the coach and school will completely lose. They have no ground to stand on legally.

The year before last I think, our boys wore that, but didn't end up actually competing so it never mattered. Last year, we had one boy who was (is) really committed so we ordered him a uniform. It also helped that we were getting new uniforms anyway

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Around my neck of the woods that's more a statement of fact. As a male cheer mom I tend to get hit up much more frequently to pay for other boys travel, hotel, flights, practice gear, etc etc. I know I bought plane tickets, and other parents did too for boys that couldn't pay. It was actually a topic of discussion at the first team meeting to all pitch in and help.

Over the years part of the payment issue comes from one of two things 1) they don't have the support at home and mom/dad/whoever is NOT paying for their boy to be a "cheerleader" especially at the prices the industry charges. Or 2) boys are a hot commodity and either they or the parents (I've seen both) have the attitude that they aren't going to pay because they'll just go to the other gym that will scholarship them at a better deal.

Not saying it's true for all boys (mine especially, we pay...trust me) but at least my experience through several gyms with male athletes has been the same general culture for this area.

So the bottom line is the gym or someone else (sponsor, benefactor etc) tends to pick up part or all of the boys uniform expense among other things....therefore the justification of the gym can be "we can't afford it - or they can't- so they go with a more economical option.... I.e. The shorts and tee thing)

The agrarian based "summer off" school calendar is over 100 years old for a society/economy that no longer exists. None of my kids (and I'm in a largely rural school) are harvesting anymore. We seriously need to scrap that calendar and institute something that reflects the 21st century....especially since were already 14 years into it...

....but I digress...

...and hijack....

#ashamed.
Total hijack again... but are you in favor of 9 on 3 off? I find it interesting, because around here you don't hear that from teachers & principals. Our schools are just weird. 9 on, 2 off, plus summers. I don't think any of the teachers care for it. A system near ours did year round most of my life and have since gotten off of it.

Probably a pet peeve of mine because I'm the mom of a male cheerleader but nothing says "you don't matter to us or our program" anymore than a pair of basketball shorts and a screen printed tee shirt. I get that uniforms are expensive (trust me I bought four last season!) and boys are generally less able to pay than the girls are, but since when does that make it okay to be an afterthought?

In my World it's actually illegal (title VX) to shortchange equipment, facilities or resources because one demographic based on gender is less able to pay and that's usually the argument people give for not having matching uniforms of the same general quality.
EXACTLY. Are the girls more able to pay because girls' sports are often more expensive?

Around my neck of the woods that's more a statement of fact. As a male cheer mom I tend to get hit up much more frequently to pay for other boys travel, hotel, flights, practice gear, etc etc. I know I bought plane tickets, and other parents did too for boys that couldn't pay. It was actually a topic of discussion at the first team meeting to all pitch in and help.

Over the years part of the payment issue comes from one of two things 1) they don't have the support at home and mom/dad/whoever is NOT paying for their boy to be a "cheerleader" especially at the prices the industry charges. Or 2) boys are a hot commodity and either they or the parents (I've seen both) have the attitude that they aren't going to pay because they'll just go to the other gym that will scholarship them at a better deal.

Not saying it's true for all boys (mine especially, we pay...trust me) but at least my experience through several gyms with male athletes has been the same general culture for this area.

So the bottom line is the gym or someone else (sponsor, benefactor etc) tends to pick up part or all of the boys uniform expense among other things....therefore the justification of the gym can be "we can't afford it - or they can't- so they go with a more economical option.... I.e. The shorts and tee thing)

Thank you for your response :) I understand what you meant now.

See... Here that coach is in complete violation of Title VX. Well they are there as well it's just whether anyone is planning to make a fuss over it. If someone chooses to the coach and school will completely lose. They have no ground to stand on legally.
I don't know if our boys even care, they are looking for a place they can tumble at, both have whip fulls(we love when they show off at camps) and they have fun with us. It kind of frustrates us though that they don't look the same in pictures and performances but I don't think our coach would give in until the boys themselves make a complaint

....but I digress...

...and hijack....

.... continuing the derailment

There are MANY painfully inefficient things that should be updated, but just won't from inertia, short-term inconveniences, or powerful people benefiting from the status quo. QWERTY keyboards, imperial measurement system, employer-provided health insurance, intellectual property law, most aspects of government, borders in the Middle East, calling it a "pair" of shorts, USASF Chairman & Board of Directors selection process . . .

Back