All-Star New Varsity Scoring...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Gyms who have not yet had their tryouts must be jumping for joy. Thanks Varsity for encouraging mediocrity and promoting leveling the playing field. Scoring 15/20 standing back tucks the same as 20/20 standing back tucks? Priceless.

As much as I don't like Varsity, I'll play devil's advocate for a second.

This could be a good way to prevent athletes from being forced to compete skills they are not ready for. If you have 15/20 level 4's throwing layouts, you don't need to force that "barely there" athlete to throw his/hers and possibly get hurt.

This could be a good way to prevent athletes from being forced to compete skills they are not ready for. If you have 15/20 level 4's throwing layouts, you don't need to force that "barely there" athlete to throw his/hers and possibly get hurt.
And that is fine, just don't score them the same. It is going to give teams who have strong stunting and possibly not as strong tumbling the same scores as another team with the same strong stunting but much stronger tumbling. Maybe that "barely there" athlete shouldn't be on a level 4 team if that is the case but on a level 3 where they belong while they are perfecting that Level 4 skill for the following season. If 75% of the team tumbling counts as full team participation then hypothetically you could have 25% of a team who cannot tumble better than Level 1 (for argument's sake) on a Level 5 team if all of their other skills are Level 5.

I'm feeling Atlas Shrugged parallels here. And no, they're NOT good ones...Oh the joys of rewarding mediocrity! Let me tell you what happens when you develop rules for the 'It's not my fault! _______!' and the 'I WOULD be better but "something that seems to absolve them of responsibility" is to blame!'...there's a sudden rush to the bottom.

A 3/4 is not a full. 3/4 is not perfect. 75 may pass you, but it isn't an A+ which should be rewarded more.

Not agreeing necessarily, but kudos for the Rand reference.

If they continue to dummy down the product, the product becomes severely unattractive. The awe factor becomes lost and kids (and parents) look elsewhere. Not many people go to Baskin Robbins and end up getting vanilla. Sadly, this is what it is becoming. Memphis needs an overhaul.

I feel like the severity of deductions on the varsity score sheet already restricts the skills you put on the floor. I don't risk anything. If one of my kids is inconsistent with a skill she doesn't do it in competition because 1. I don't want her to get hurt and 2. we would get a huge deduction if she busted. So this 75% scoring is not helpful in that aspect. I am disappointed in it because I try to make it so all of my teams have full team skills. Obviously we are going to keep our gym standards the same and require that each child on a team has all of the tumbling skills for that level, but I wish we weren't going to be scored the same as a team with less skill...

I feel like the severity of deductions on the varsity score sheet already restricts the skills you put on the floor. I don't risk anything. If one of my kids is inconsistent with a skill she doesn't do it in competition because 1. I don't want her to get hurt and 2. we would get a huge deduction if she busted. So this 75% scoring is not helpful in that aspect. I am disappointed in it because I try to make it so all of my teams have full team skills. Obviously we are going to keep our gym standards the same and require that each child on a team has all of the tumbling skills for that level, but I wish we weren't going to be scored the same as a team with less skill...

Not to mention the fact that if you have a kid hesitate on a skill (e.g. RO-BHS) then they give a deduction already.... Grrr. Take the points on the deduction or take them in technique, but they take them in both. ick.

Why is it the "end of cheerleading as we know it" or "rewarding mediocrity" when a singular EP does what it feels is best for its business? Stop going to their events if you don't agree. I'm certain the teams that can, will still have 100% of their team doing skills and not settle for less! But now a small gym can put a girl without a bhs on a junior 2 team because they can afford to have 1 or 2 girls not throw it. And before they would have turned her away bc they don't have a junior 1. I feel like that happens more around the country then level 5 teams looking for mediocrity. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not disagreeing, just presenting another side, but if I have 15 layouts then I'm going to try to make my squad 16 people and not really care whether that 1 kid gets the layout. At the most, take 18 so at least 5/6 of the team has the skill.

And also, varsity allows recycling. And if as a coach you feel one inidividuals single skill will make or break a routine, shame on you for not having a better routine and putting all that pressure on kid that should maybe have just gone down a level and excelled there. Not to mention, barely there skills lose more in execution than they gain in quantity.

If they continue to dummy down the product, the product becomes severely unattractive. The awe factor becomes lost and kids (and parents) look elsewhere. Not many people go to Baskin Robbins and end up getting vanilla. Sadly, this is what it is becoming. Memphis needs an overhaul.

Actually, I think it really gives teams more flexibility to build routines in different ways than the standard formula.

I don't have a problem with the rule per se, what I have a problem with is that a strong team of 20 with full team robhs will get scored the same against a team that is only throwing 15 out of 20. If they want to say that 75% is considered max, that's fine but give credit to the teams that work hard to put the best they can on the mat. Like someone said, you could technically have a senior 5 team with level 1 tumblers but are good bases. So that team should score the same as (for example) Rays Orange?
Where is the "carrot" for kids to chase? If they can get moved up regardless of their skill because they are good at one thing, why bother trying to improve the things you may not be good at?

The score difference in difficulty between having 75% of your team do a skill and 100% of the team doing a skills was already pretty minimal anyway. This isn't as huge a change as people are making it out to be.

Back