All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I gained a new respect for CM after this for sure. She has faced being under the microscope and what I can tell is that she has a true love for the sport, and didn't give me any brat vibes at all. I loved how they mentioned that she was a straight A student. She is so talented, and has been from the start, which I think many people miss.

Watching the kids snap at their parents made me so uncomfortable. They had to know the cameras were there... Maybe try to act a little less snotty when being filmed for TV?
I actually thought it made it more real. They're not an actors or professional athletes. They're kids.

As @quitthedrama said, I did not quite understand why this was earmarked "Extraordinary Families". I think if I watched this as an outsider, I would have called it "Crazy Families Catering to Their Kids". Without giving more insight to the passion behind the sport and what drives these kids, and how it influences their lives in such a positive way off the mat, you don't really come away with much aside from the fact that it is expensive and parents need to find gyms very far away from where they live and possibly even split up their families in order to have athletes at this level.

Here is the link. It's in two parts but the second one will play automatically.
I thought it was well done.

ETA: sorry-You can just Google Niteline cheerleading and find it.

Also, I think it was misleading that they asked the Butlers how much they spend on Cheer. Obviously they spend more than a normal family having to set up a second household etc.

I think gabi is used to having cameras in her face so it didn't phase her when she snapped at her mom on TV. She's a teenager and she's under a lot of pressure. I'm not making excuses for her but I think most of us can say we've snapped at someone when we've been stressed once or twice. Hers just happened to be caught and put on national tv.

Carly's mansion, I mean house, is super nice. I didn't expect that, wowza!

As for the 6 figure cost that was mentioned, I wish they would've laid out the expenses. The butlers said they had three girls cheering I believe? And how long have they
been doing it? And does that figure include their move to Cali? Also, I'm sure all three athletes that were followed have endorsements of some sort that help pay for cheer. They're always asked to come here or judge this or hold a clinic with this team or do this or that. I can't imagine they're not making money from some of these things.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think you guys are exaggerating how much Gabi snapped at her mom. Yes, she snapped at her, and I get that you want it to be all sunshine and smiles about our sport, but she's a teenager. I've heard a million times worse. What she did was not that big of a deal. She could've been cussing at her like I've heard friends do. I know she (and teenagers in general) should be nicer to her mom, but everyone has those moments. I think if you see how well Gabi tries to represent herself, you can see that her acting that way is not the norm, and the cameras just happened to catch her at an unfortunate time. Usually I hate the "it could've been worse" argument, but seriously, this was not that big of a deal. And like someone else said, it shows the world that she's not perfect. Which is needed.

I think you guys are exaggerating how much Gabi snapped at her mom. Yes, she snapped at her, and I get that you want it to be all sunshine and smiles about our sport, but she's a teenager. I've heard a million times worse. What she did was not that big of a deal. She could've been cussing at her like I've heard friends do. I know she (and teenagers in general) should be nicer to her mom, but everyone has those moments. I think if you see how well Gabi tries to represent herself, you can see that her acting that way is not the norm, and the cameras just happened to catch her at an unfortunate time. Usually I hate the "it could've been worse" argument, but seriously, this was not that big of a deal. And like someone else said, it shows the world that she's not perfect. Which is needed.

I feel like it wasn't just the snapping---when they talked to Carly; you heard more from her than her parents and you could see her love the sport. Michaeleddie was more or less the same; he came into cheering differently and gave a different perspective with comparing it to other sports, but you could see he loved it and it's killing him to age out of senior's.

However, with Gabi I got a totally different feel. I felt like her mom got the most camera time, and that's fine since this was supposed to be about the extraordinary family; but I didn't feel like she came out of this looking like she evens wants to do it. Do we know she does? Obviously, or she wouldn't put up with living in California or dealing with Eddie and Orby...but, from an outsider looking in, it was almost like she was the afterthought to her mom; while C and ME were the main shows over their respective parents.

I also didn't like how it cut to the World's win being short lived and then Gabi saying she may or may not come back; while totally realistic, when watched next to Carly's admitted addiction or the sport and ME being upset about it being over, just made it seem like why go back? You didn't look like you wanted to do it anyway.

Now, let me preface this, I think that they had a WHOLE lot more footage than they used, and obviously they knew how to paint this positively in C and ME's favor, but for Gabi specifically, I think the editing was not done in her favor. Does it make her more human? Absolutely, and she needs that. But my mom called me after she watched it because she knows CP does comp cheer and she flat out asked me why 'That Gabi girl' was even cheering since every clip they showed of her she looked miserable.

My cp and I, fuss and fight when it comes to hair/make-up, but we love doing it together;it's just more bonding time for us and believe it or not,I think it calms her down some. She actually still comes to me for help and my opinion, on her hair & clothes,on regular day-to-day mornings. I would be upset if she told me to never touch her hair or face again......but we may be the minority on this view...
I was thrilled that I am not the only one still doing senior hair/makeup. My CP also complains when I do it I ignore because I know she is nervous.

I think sometime people forget that,5 or 15, they are still our babies. Heck, I still call my mom to vent and for help and I've been on my own and married since 19. My cp is very independent, but we have an amazing relationship. And I hate playing the " you'll never understand until you are a parent" card, but until you have your own child,it's hard to say what you will or won't do. And if you think one style of parenting isn't good,then take note and when you have your own,you'll know what to do or not to do.
I was thrilled that I am not the only one still doing senior hair/makeup. My CP also complains when I do it I ignore because I know she is nervous.

I think sometime people forget that,5 or 15, they are still our babies. Heck, I still call my mom to vent and for help and I've been on my own and married since 19. My cp is very independent, but we have an amazing relationship. And I hate playing the " you'll never understand until you are a parent" card, but until you have your own child,it's hard to say what you will or won't do. And if you think one style of parenting isn't good,then take note and when you have your own,you'll know what to do or not to do.
I have no doubt I'll continue to be the hair girl for my CP14 even though I totally suck at the pouf and it's usually dramatic between us.... But all things considered I'm going to cherish every second that I still have the chance to do her hair at all :)

My mom and I used to fight all the time about hair and makeup so I just started doing my own in 7th grade. Best choice I've ever made.... Comp days are so much less stressful. I hate other people touching my hair bc I'm a perfectionist and I don't trust other people to make it look the way I want it to. So when other people are doing my hair it makes me nervous. Therefore, doing my own hair is the best option!

My mom and I used to fight all the time about hair and makeup so I just started doing my own in 7th grade. Best choice I've ever made.... Comp days are so much less stressful. I hate other people touching my hair bc I'm a perfectionist and I don't trust other people to make it look the way I want it to. So when other people are doing my hair it makes me nervous. Therefore, doing my own hair is the best option!

I've said this before and will continue to say that it was the happiest day of my life when cp became master of her own pouf. It was so stressful for both of us. She also did her own makeup at the end of this past season and I'm sincerely hoping that trend continues. Hair and makeup are not my forte by any means.

lol @ people complaining about the "snappy" attitude. ive always thought that was normal with someone who was having their difficult hair fixed. i grew up with twin nieces that had curly/kinky hair and the convos between them and my sister during hair fixing went like this every time:

*head yanked side to side*
"ow!!! what are you doing!!"
"hold still!"
"jeez!! that hurts!!"
"stop moving your head!"
*head yanked front to back*
"owwwww!! do you know what youre doing!!!!"
"hold still!!!"

for 15 minutes each.

Can anyone provide a link that isn't private or "forbidden" as the last clip on here is? I'm wondering if people posted these videos and are now being forced by ABC to take them down?

Back