All-Star No Bows

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You are sick of the way bows look or of the way some teams don't wear bows? If you are sick of the way some bows look then my question is why?

Last year, our team Red girls started out with this cute rhinestoned round clip that went over the pony tail holder. It looked super cute but people didn't like it. I don't think it states anywhere in the rule book that bows are mandatory.

Do you have a link to the clip? I want something like that for our competition next year.

Georgia's worlds thing last year was "bows are for backpacks." Obviously I like big bows :p so I'd be sad to give them up. I've seen headbands done but it looked tacky IMO.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Last year I was at a comp and a team got a .5 deduction for every girl (there were 20) because they didn't have bows. Something about how they were missing a part of there uniform. I think you'd get points off if you wear plain spanks instead of a skirt too!

I HATE BOWS - I know not a very cheer mom thing to say but I just don't like them and neither do my kids. Only thing worse is a cheer mom wearing them :)

I don't like them either! Seems like All-star cheer is getting more and more difficult and requires more athleticism than ever before, and the bows just seem so (excuse me for saying this, but...) high school cheer. They don't say "athlete" to me, and that's really what all-star cheer is about.

Last year I was at a comp and a team got a .5 deduction for every girl (there were 20) because they didn't have bows. Something about how they were missing a part of there uniform. I think you'd get points off if you wear plain spanks instead of a skirt too!

...? and what competition was this

...? and what competition was this

Our teams has shorts not skirts no points off not sure about bow. I know some other teams do that as well.

We saw a team at NCA that did the flower thing and I really liked the look better at least it was different.

At least our gym has a mom that makes some nice bows - I'm still not a bow person but glad that at least when we do we have someone who can create something nice. My girls will wear them when required but I notice often they are out halfway through practice. I am honest with them I don't like bows and I know they are not there thing (on occasion they have a bow mood - but rarely mostly they see them as a distraction) but gym says you wear a bow so you wear it and smile. Not a bow wearer but very much a rule follower :)

I hate bows. We have "tie ins" and they always fall out unless one certain girl on my team ties it.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

ooo i like the idea of a bun
It was a very athletic look, I think you have to match it with the right uniform. And the teams that come to mind that did it were very tight and clean, almost robotic looking so it worked for them. They slicked the bun back very tight and made the bun high enough so the top could be seen from the front.

We have a girl on our team fighting Lymphoma right now and going through chemo, she has lost her hair so we have thought about not wearing a bow. But we did buy one but it's silver with the green lymphoma ribbon on the tail. If she gets to the point where she is healthy enough to compete with us this season we will probably go bow-less that comp.

Here's a few things I've seen around that could have potential if done the right way. Ideas to get the creativity flowing!:
"Senorita" hair (a.k.a red flower clipped into side pony): http://www.cheerpower.com/RESULTS 12-13/PICS/SN_7000_X2_0104.JPG

Flower "Duo" Clip: Hair Clips

Royalty/Vintage looking Clip (this is my favorite) : Hair Clips

Logo Headband (could do a gym logo as long as the matching uniform is very clean & simple):glam headbands, lettered headbands, collegiate headbands, headbands, sororities, glitter, sequins, softball headbands, cheerleading, dance, spirit wear, volleyball headbands, gymnastics, sports headbands, fundraisers

Glitter Headband: sequin headband cheer - Bing Images

Beaded Headband (with bun instead of pony+bow....) : [url]http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2013/09/03/09/09/QBhgD.St.58.jpeg[/URL]

Hair Gems (funkyteam from Finland uses them sometimes):
Example 1 -
Funky Team - Silverbacks | Facebook
Example 2 -
Funky Team - Funky Team's Photos | Facebook

Worded Headband: cute! | CHEER!

Side bun with "flower" ribbon: Cheerleading Hair Tie | CHEER!

Non-Tailed Bow (yeah it is still a bow, but not a very commonly used one in cheer) :http://babytiffanys.com/images/thumbnails/101_3704-Copy.JPG

Back