All-Star No Pool Access?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my coach wouldnt let us in the pool but we all went into the work out room till 2 am my coach came in and started working out, kinda random but he didnt care the owner of our gym did because we were up too late ahhaha

<----- guilty parent. We went to CANAM last year in Myrtle Beach. Took CP to her early morning Saturday performance, when we got back to our place the Mr. & little one were at the outdoor, heated pool. I figure "what the heck, it's only 1030 in the morning, why not?" and let CP go swimming. Mind you, she is not a "swimmer" she is a "hand out on the steps" kind of girl. Wellllll..... I go back to the room for a minute, catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I am all pink! In March! I hightail it back to the pool and tell them that everyone has to get out of the pool, now!! CP is about as pale as a fresh fallen snow for all except 2-3 months of the year. Seeing as how it was March, she hadn't had any sun exposure since about September, she was fried! I felt so bad. She had to squeeze into that uniform the next day and was not a happy camper! Just say no to pools and sun!!

We went to Canam too in March of 2011. I don't know where most of you are from, but for us Upstate New Yorkers, sun is a rare treat in March! A lot of us took advantage of the nice weather even though we all had the "this is a competition, not a vacation" mentality. It's hard to ban the beach/pool completely sometimes. Many parents went down a day early/stayed a day late just to spend time outdoors.

Our coaches frowned upon us going to the beach and swimming, but didn't disallow it on days we didn't have to compete. If we stayed out too long and got sunburnt, well, that's our fault as young adults for not being responsible. There are ways to be cautious and smart about the beaches and pools, and it's not up to the coaches to make sure you put your sunscreen on or spent no more than 15 minutes in the hot tub.

And if we did stay out too long, one of my coaches even joked that if she saw us with a sunburn she was gonna give us a niiiice little congratulatory "pat on the back" ;)

I am a coach and that has always been a rule in our gym ... Infact that kind of sounds excatly like an email I would send. "we are there for cheerleading, not for a vacation" ... We do allow the kids to swim after then have competed on Saturday & Sunday, or when they arrive on Friday, but deff. not before they have gone on. They need to give 110% and I know for me being in the sun, or the pool tires me out. I feel bad that the kids can not enjoy the trip by swimming or doing other things they would like to do but thats not our main concern, we need them ready and able to give 110%!!!

Those fun-sucking coaches are so mean. Sheesh. (Kidding!!!)

Our gym has similar pool policies in place, all for the best interests of the athletes. We even have a no flip-flop policy at the theme parks in Orlando. It's unfortunate that there are some parents out there feel the need to complain about the subject, but I think most parents "get it" and understand why the policies are there.

i agree too bc 2 years ago a girl went swimming the night before we competed and she was dead the next day and pretty much touckdown in every tumbling skill she did.... but my coach said that if we compete on saturday and your at the hotel on thursday you can go but cant go on friday

I show my team the pool and then also tell them until the competition is over, that is as close as they are getting to it. I explain to them that laying out in the sun takes energy out of you, swimming tires your muscles, they tend to fool around in the pool which then means that there is risk of injury.

As a parent, no one should even think about questioning this.

Swimming is one of the best workouts you can get. That being said, it works your muscles a lot and it is almost impossible to get that energy back up. I personally don't let my athletes swim at a competition. We are there for a reason and they need to think about all the other peoples commitments to the team/comp. You owe it to your team to be able to give it your best effort.

although I used to do this when I was younger...I must agree that cheerleaders (any athletes actually.) should not swim before competing. If you've already competed, that's a different story. And especially not the hot tub. They're misleading! A nurse told me hot tubs can mess up your muscles because you get so relaxed. If the coach wants to have a rule, it's their decision!

Interesting we should all be talking about this. Have a 2 day at Allstar Challenge starting tomorrow. We're going up in the morning, two of our youth 2's are already there and mom just posted to FB that they're already "in the pool and one-man stunting" and to come down so they can stunt you too. Seriously! They are NOT trained to single base, they don't have those skills...they're like 9....can we wait to crack someone's head open until AFTER sunday please?! #endrant

I completely understand that the families like to use these weekend competitions as a little extended weekend vacation, however I agree with that coach about no pool until after you compete.

You say that since the parents pay for it, then the kids can swim whenever they want???

Well I would like you to explain to the rest of the parents who paid for this trip, followed the rules, and then come competition time, why YOUR child puked on warm up mats minutes before you perform, because they accidentally drank too much pool water. Yes, it sounds silly, but that is a risk you run with younger kids in your program. And it affected the team at their biggest competition of the season.

p.s. yes this happened to my team last year

the only time i have ever been allowed to swim was at our first competition of the year it was held in that indoor waterpark hotel kalahari or whatever and that was the friday because we didnt compete till late saturday afternoon, we were also allowed to use the hot tubs in our hotel in niagara falls for nationals
On a side note, where are you from? Sounds like my area!

Back