No Questions? Start Here. First, Second, Third Post. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Does anyone else have new cheerleaders that can literally do nothing? I mean they can't tumble ( not even roll). To weak to base, can't fly and uncoordinated. What do you do with these ladies?
Hi there! I have coached Rec Cheer for years now. In our county, the girls aren't allowed to stunt. Sad, right?!? So frustrating. Anyway, here are my two cents. Rec Cheer is a completely different animal than all other cheer. We have "sign ups" instead of "try-outs." While that's great, because that means EVERYONE can be a cheerleader, it also means that your squad may be full of very inexperienced kids. I usually spend a couple of the summer months doing hard core training. We start with conditioning and cheer technique basics. I am a stickler for being sharp and hitting each motion on its count. We don't even start learning a routine or any sideline cheers until the girls show me they have mastered those beginning skills-- jumps, motions, etc. Also, I do alot of team building activities to make sure the girls work well together. So, start with the fundamentals. At this point in the season, since you have games you need to attend and cheer at, work drills at practice and assign "cheer homework." The great thing about Cheer is- The Girls LOVE it! So, they don't mind working long and hard to get it right! Good luck to you! Hope this helped out a little bit! :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back