All-Star Not Agreeing With Your Scores....what Do You Do??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My Sr3 took the floor this past weekend... had some random mistakes and missed tricks. I counted 3, THREE major touch outs on running tumbling. And one missed vault-over. When we got 3rd out of 6 I wasn't surprised... I was surprised when I reviewed our score sheets. We received NO Deductions... just low scores across the board... 8.5 on everything... Did they even watch us?! All Season I have been getting 9.5 or 10s on Jumps, Tosses, Choreography, Standing, and Running... I know we didn't have a great day, but what the heck was I holding in my hand?? Pure Fiction.

Just one thing that i did after being a little taken back with scores was just to TALK with the judging coordinator.
What was done was done and they already announced what they thought was best team, so no sense of chewing someones head off or getting flustered. Both my kids, and parents were happy with their performance and felt that they had the better routine. sometimes thats more important then what they walk out with in their hands. unless its a huge robbery.
I did go up and just say "obviously execution could always be better but what else could be done to score higher?" I wanted more then just the standard "pt toes in jumps" or "set arms higher in tucks" I gave her the score sheets back and she got a judge to re watch my team twice and they wrote as much as they could that could of been added or changed.
This was a huge help to me cause like i said what was done was done and there was not a mathematical error.

It sucks when we don't agree with what should of happened but the best thing is just to meet and explain yourself.
If this happens at a two day competition then maybe talking NOT yelling will help the judges open their eyes a little more and score what is more appropriate.(not saying anybody was)

Being on both ends of this you just gotta keep your cool with things. years ago i cheered for a junior college when we felt that we should of won more awards at camp and were rude and left trophies, well college nationals that year we magically get 4th by hands down out (in my opinion) stunting, doing harder baskets and harder pyramids then teams that beat us.

Long story short. Taking to judges politely and listening will get you farther then just stating your opinions while you make them listen. judges are people and people dont forget!

I agree on judges maybe giving a little more insight. I know a smiley face on my pyramid comment section, is far from helpful on what could have been done better to boost the scores even more. But I am pretty sure that is a whole different thread around here somewhere.

We did talk very nicely and patiently even though i was extremely upset. I was a little firmer the next day when we got NO response. I told them my disatisfaction after the awards. they were very busy and really seemed to just kind of push me off. They started to make me feel like a sore loser, but i knew i definitely had a legitimate gripe.
And another thing they did wrong - one of the coaches kids went and got our score sheets (wrong by him we know) and they GAVE THEM TO HIM!!! he said my mom is the coach and they said oh, ok here you go..... Needless to say he got himself into a ton of trouble for going and getting them. But SHAME ON THEM for giving them to a kid! he's 15 & he had on a uniform & no coaches credentials.
Also, we emailed them the day after the comp. and they did call us. The person had all the score sheets of everyone in our division and just went thru them all, category by category so we could see where we got beat. The areas we got beat in were rediculous. It was honestly of no help because she was just reading score sheets and of course didn't have videos of each team, so she couldn't compare our routines and elements. If they did this for us after we first complained, it might have made a difference. All they told us after the first day is that they would make the judges aware of it and have them review all the teams. That was a total lie. they had no intentions of ever doing that.
I hope you can all understand where i'm coming from and that i'm not being a sore loser. I have been coaching many many years. I know the score sheets and study them like crazy. If you knew me you would know that i would be the first to admit if my team got what they deserved.
I know there is nothing we can do now, other than no giving them our business again. We told our team that unfortunately in this sport, sometimes things are not fair and there is nothing we can do about it - other than keep working hard to just get better and better and not leave any doubts in any judges minds. Happy to say they have a great attitude & have been working harder than ever before.

Sometimes as parents we don't "get" why things are scored as they are. Maybe people fell but had WAY more difficulty that as parents we just didn't get how that worked in a score sheet. So I take my tips from the coaches about whether it was fair or not ( by that either talking with them or just watching their reactions). I've seen them seriously surprised a few times but on at least two blatant ones they did the same thing. At one EP the team not only won but were level champions and this was in December. In April they went back to that EP and had really increased difficulty in those 4 months over what they'd even been before. They hit just as clean and scored significantly lower...with a much harder routine...4 months after that EP had them as level champs. The coach met with the head judge immediately on Saturday and plead his case for how it could even be possible to score the same execution lower when the difficulty was significantly increased.

The other one was a big debacle with an independent EP that has their own scoring system. We didn't get credit for things we did and our opposition got credit for things they didn't do. Basically they scored us backwards. He met with them there for 45 minutes on Saturday as well. Even the other team coaches couldn't understand how they were ahead. It was an easy mistake, simple fix, just swap the scores. Um, no. We ended up on Sunday having to essentially beat ourselves - which we did but not by enought to beat ourselves so we finished second.

Our coaches will fight for our kids when something is blatant In a score sheet that isn't right, and they'll usually do it on the spot if the competition is still going on. In both of these cases, it didn't do much good for our kids, but as a parent I appreciate the fact they fought for my kids. Another EP last year had disastrous warm ups and some junky scoring I don't know details on, but i know the coaches weren't happy with it as well.

We started our gym with 98 kids, we went to 160 or so last year and this year were over 250 by my estimate (from 5 to 10 teams over three years) so when fighting for our kids didn't get them results....they did it the old fashioned capitalist way....

....those competitions haven't seen a cent from our program since. And for a program that is growing like wildfire and up and coming in our area, I think that's what needs to happen.

As a coach, advocate for your kids and if that doesn't get you some professional resolution, take your money somewhere else...you probably
Won't be the only one who does it which is why some of these events are getting smaller, not larger.

Back