High School Nys High School Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2014
Now that NYS considers High School Cheerleading a sport...is there any rule that states a child on Varsity can't cheer on Varsity if they cheer all-star with a graduated high school person on their all-star team? Thanks for any input:help:

Just heard something about this earlier this morning. Not sure how much truth there is to it or what the basis for such a rule could even be. I'd love to see this rule in writing with an explanation for it, because I cannot come up with one except that there are some very bitter people out there over the fact that cheer becoming a sport went into effect November 1st instead of being tabled until February 2015 as they had hoped and counted on.

Last edited:
Just received clarification. It was misinterpreted yesterday. All is good again in the cheer world:)

Great news!!! What was the actual clarification? Is this something that will be a concern in the future?

Section 6 NYS HS Coach here.. I just saw you got clarification about your question. There is definitely no rule that states that!

Here is a link to an FAQ sheet that has details about the changes we just went through during our transition into becoming a sport: http://www.section6.e1b.org/cms/lib/NY19000854/Centricity/Domain/49/Section VI FAQ.pdf

*In the FAQ, #6 asks about something called ECIC. In our area, that was our "sectional" competition amongst our county league. Ignore that one! :)

Just heard something interesting, possibly a loophole that might allow some of the more competitive schools to continue having their tryouts in the spring and practicing all summer (non-mandatory practices of course ;) ;) )....
Cheer will be considered a sport in NYS only for the winter season (during basketball season) but will still be called a "club" during the fall season (aka football season) because they only compete during winter and not fall season.
Has anyone else heard this? If true I am so bummed; I was really hoping NYS would have it's state competitions more toward the end of football season so that HS cheer wreaked less havoc on our all star season.

Just heard something interesting, possibly a loophole that might allow some of the more competitive schools to continue having their tryouts in the spring and practicing all summer (non-mandatory practices of course ;) ;) )....
Cheer will be considered a sport in NYS only for the winter season (during basketball season) but will still be called a "club" during the fall season (aka football season) because they only compete during winter and not fall season.
Has anyone else heard this? If true I am so bummed; I was really hoping NYS would have it's state competitions more toward the end of football season so that HS cheer wreaked less havoc on our all star season.
I'm relieved! Now if we could just fix Nationals.

Back