All-Star Oldest Competitive Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I started cheer at 23 and I'm now 26... and I'm constantly amazed at all the new skills my body can pick up. I think I'm getting better as I get older and I feel fitter than I did at 15! :p
My stunt partner is in his mid 30s, and 2 girls in our club have both had babies and we all still compete :)

Eric Contreras from Desert Storm Elite is late 30's/older 40's on DSE Legends.
He throws a toe full and a double.

I would say in Canada there are many more "older" athletes than in the US or perhaps the average age is just higher.
Not quite sure exactly why but my best guess is that the culture is different. Many students do not "go away" for college and school is WAY cheaper (My school fees total up to less than $2500 per semester including books for my undergraduate degree) so they have more disposable income to spend on cheer. Pair that with much cheaper gym fees than in the US and cheer becomes a luxury that is easily affordable for many.
It is not the only reason but I think it definitely makes a huge difference...
Just to give you an idea, my gym has about 130 open aged athletes (Coed 6, All girl 6, IAG 5 , International 4.2 and Open 4.2)!!

I would say in Canada there are many more "older" athletes than in the US or perhaps the average age is just higher.
Not quite sure exactly why but my best guess is that the culture is different. Many students do not "go away" for college and school is WAY cheaper (My school fees total up to less than $2500 per semester including books for my undergraduate degree) so they have more disposable income to spend on cheer. Pair that with much cheaper gym fees than in the US and cheer becomes a luxury that is easily affordable for many.
It is not the only reason but I think it definitely makes a huge difference...
Just to give you an idea, my gym has about 130 open aged athletes (Coed 6, All girl 6, IAG 5 , International 4.2 and Open 4.2)!!

Lol I wish this was the case for me, I pay 7,000 a year for school and my tuition just seems to keep increasing every year, plus I have to pay software and other fees towards the school which adds on to be about another thousand then I have to buy books and kits for all my classes (yay for art school) which gets to be about 500.

On top of that I have to pay 800.00 a month to rent my apartment and 106.00 for TTC.

If I was to choose at my preferred gym I would have to pay roughly 3,000 for the year plus travel to competitions and to the gym.

And I can't work during the school year or I wouldn't get any sort of funding that goes towards tuition and I don't get enough as it is.

Woah, those divisions don't exist in the US. We have Open 4, but nothing "international" (whatever difference that means).

Yea here they had no choice to open those divisions for safety reasons (level 6 is way too dangerous for inexperienced athletes)
And at some competitions here in Quebec they even split Large Open 4.2 , Small Open 4.2 , Large International 4.2 and small International 4.2(up to 32) because there are too many teams

Lol I wish this was the case for me, I pay 7,000 a year for school and my tuition just seems to keep increasing every year, plus I have to pay software and other fees towards the school which adds on to be about another thousand then I have to buy books and kits for all my classes (yay for art school) which gets to be about 500.

On top of that I have to pay 800.00 a month to rent my apartment and 106.00 for TTC.

If I was to choose at my preferred gym I would have to pay roughly 3,000 for the year plus travel to competitions and to the gym.

And I can't work during the school year or I wouldn't get any sort of funding that goes towards tuition and I don't get enough as it is.

That's the main reason I gave it a rest. There's a really good Lv.6 close by that a bunch of my friends are on, but I just didn't want to go through the stress of trying to afford worlds and getting time off from my job. Last time I competed, I had to give my coach almost $40 in coins to pay for my ticket to UCA nationals, and then I didn't have any money at all when I got there.

Yea here they had no choice to open those divisions for safety reasons (level 6 is way too dangerous for inexperienced athletes)
And at some competitions here in Quebec they even split Large Open 4.2 , Small Open 4.2 , Large International 4.2 and small International 4.2(up to 32) because there are too many teams

What's the difference between open and international? Is it age?

People some times get confused and use international to refer to international 5 and open for 6, but they're actually both international open.

There is a lady called Ambrel from Cheer Athletics who has competed in all 10 (I think its 10?) years of Worlds. Go Ambrel!

What's the difference between open and international? Is it age?

People some times get confused and use international to refer to international 5 and open for 6, but they're actually both international open.

International 4.2: 14+
International 5: 14+
International Open 6: 17+
Open 4.2: 17+

Don't know if you are counting Parent Teams as competitive team. I am a 60+ grandma on the team at my Granddaughter's gym. My son who is 39 is also on the team. I don't tumble but I can booty shake with the best of them. LOL:D

I think it counts :D... and WTG grandma!!! We have a great parent team too.. most of us are late 30s-40s :D

I know allstar keeps them longer, but I cheered on Louisville Large when I was 26 (cheered while completing my Master's degree). I THINK I was the oldest girl to compete for them (definitely at that time anyway).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back