All-Star One Small Mistake... But.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yea there aren't many teams that understand the concept of "clean" nowadays

I come from a time where we ran around the gym with our hands glued to our sides. Being clean was everything. You didn't dare walk across the front of the stage fixing your uniform, if your top rode up, it stayed up there. I'm still a teenager, and this wasn't that long ago. It shows how much times have changed.

I come from a time where we ran around the gym with our hands glued to our sides. Being clean was everything. You didn't dare walk across the front of the stage fixing your uniform, if your top rode up, it stayed up there. I'm still a teenager, and this wasn't that long ago. It shows how much times have changed.
I remember when they would stop in the middle of the routine and made us do push ups if our hands werent glued to our sides. Or marking the whole routine with out hand movements. Just your hands glued to your sides.....talk about challenging.

I remember when they would stop in the middle of the routine and made us do push ups if our hands werent glued to our sides. Or marking the whole routine with out hand movements. Just your hands glued to your sides.....talk about challenging.

YES! We would practice our transitions all of the time. Everyone had a certain path they had to take to get to their next spot cleanly. We would practice "popping" our routine. Basically, it was going through every single part of the routine and making every single thing you did sharp. It didn't matter if you were hitting a high v for jumps or kneeling down during tumbling.

Yes! haha I thought the same exact thing. I was ready to pull my hair out during the majors. "2 dropped stunts, 3 td, half the pyramid didn't go up... but NEW WORLD CHAMPIONSSS. everyone better watch out" are you kidding?

A good example of this from majors was a tweet about Tsunami. It listed all the problems they had but then was but overall they were really clean. I fail to see how having multiple stunt drops and tumbling busts is a clean routine.
The way people interpret a routine sometimes makes me really scratch my head and wonder when the last time they had an eye exam was.

A good example of this from majors was a tweet about Tsunami. It listed all the problems they had but then was but overall they were really clean. I fail to see how having multiple stunt drops and tumbling busts is a clean routine.
The way people interpret a routine sometimes makes me really scratch my head and wonder when the last time they had an eye exam was.

It all depends on who the person's favorite team is. If their fave is F5, they are going to say they looked great and are a force to be reckoned with no matter if they killed it or had the worst performance in cheer history. I have learned that there are very few people out there who can admit that their fave didn't deserve to win or didn't do their best.

I find that mistakes are becoming so common this year that people don't even acknowledge them..
I was in a bit of an argument about Panthers/F5 after the Majors, and someone was like "F5 had one, MAYBE 2 mistakes" and I just couldn't help but think of the 3-4 bobbles, the multiple touch downs, and the 6 underrotated doubles, not to mention timing issues. (Not using this as a ploy to point out their flaws). It's like, if something didn't hit the ground, nothing went wrong...

I find that mistakes are becoming so common this year that people don't even acknowledge them..
I was in a bit of an argument about Panthers/F5 after the Majors, and someone was like "F5 had one, MAYBE 2 mistakes" and I just couldn't help but think of the 3-4 bobbles, the multiple touch downs, and the 6 underrotated doubles, not to mention timing issues. (Not using this as a ploy to point out their flaws). It's like, if something didn't hit the ground, nothing went wrong...
Hit the ground? You're being generous. It's getting to where it would take a full-out routine collapse for people to be honest and say 'xyz went wrong.'

I get that people want to be positive in spite of mistakes. However, might I suggest you make sure you explain WHAT they did well, instead of an overall thing? 'Dance was FABULOUS, point jumper was awesome, clean TRANSITIONS' etc..

One tweet in particular that I recall from Sunday's performances of the MAJORS teams at JAMFEST said basically...
"____________ pretty much, just amazing."​
(team name removed to spare drama)

They didn't say anything about the entire side of the pyramid that ceased to happen, and basically collapsed on itself.

Am I the only one thinking that you can be clean with a drop? Just because a stunt drops, doesn't mean that your transitions/tumbling/pyramid/jumps/dance weren't clean.

"Clean" has two different meanings in the context of cheer. One is no mistakes. ("They hit clean.") The other is that they were sharp, with good timing and transitions. ("They really worked on cleaning up their routine.").

In an ideal world, these two would have different words. (Kind of like, in this ideal world, "all star cheerleading" would have a different word than "cheerleading" attached to it to differentiate between what we do and sideline.)

Most of the elite teams haven't simply forgotten that technique is important, the scoring grids have changed dramatically. You used to could win Worlds with straight up stunts. Now you need multiple elite entries to even get into the top range of scoring to have a chance. It isn't that technique has necessarily gotten worse, it is that the difficulty requirements have skyrocketed.

YES! We would practice our transitions all of the time. Everyone had a certain path they had to take to get to their next spot cleanly. We would practice "popping" our routine. Basically, it was going through every single part of the routine and making every single thing you did sharp. It didn't matter if you were hitting a high v for jumps or kneeling down during tumbling.
Exactly! Anyone remember squad T jumps to get timing? Marking the routine 5 billion times? And if all the flyers didn't look the same, we had to run

Am I the only one thinking that you can be clean with a drop? Just because a stunt drops, doesn't mean that your transitions/tumbling/pyramid/jumps/dance weren't clean.

When you have multiple stunt drops and tumbling touches then go right into saying they were clean it makes someone confused as to how that makes a clean routine. Now some people have actually say besides the mistakes they were clean, which to me is good because then I know that the other parts were great. What tends to happen is that these tweets say that they are clean and then you see the video and wonder if they watched the same routine that you did.

It sort of makes me think of how people comment about how the US IOC6 teams need to start doing pyramids like Bangkok. How about instead of doing that difficulty we get the teams that are actually in the division to clean up and do the basic things correctly first. In the US there is a very small chunk of IOC6 teams that can hit clean level 6 skills so instead of trying to get them to do more diffculty let them perfect what they already try to do.

Diffculty doesn't always equal better

Its the score sheet and I hate it. Why is difficulty worth everything and technique only worth a point? IMO I think the weights should be a lot more equal. Especially in regards to safety. Those ugly fulls this year are going to turn into janky underrotated doubles eventually.

Back