All-Star Only Seniors Can Expose Midriff???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For what it's worth, I like the idea that the USASF came up with standards for uniforms. Every other sport has them, why not cheer? Now you might not like the standards that they came up with (and I'm ambivalent about the whole crop top debate these days) but I think they're a reasonable starting point. However, it seems like many would rather go back to letting "gyms decide" or "let it be a free-for-all".

And to me, that speaks the bigger issue - which is that people are bristling against the idea of the USASF regulating anything regarding cheer. Whether it's tumbling rules or uniforms, age grids or music, the idea that the staid, fuddy-duddy, incompetent USASF gets involved is either a.) a conspiracy with Varsity or b.) bureacracy run amok.

Look, folks: if we want to be taken seriously as a sport, we need a real governing body. For all the USASF's flaws - they're at least trying to be that in the U.S. But I'm convinced there's a segment of the cheer world that, deep down, doesn't want a governing body at all. Or if they do, they want one that will rubber-stamp whatever their gym does.

For what it's worth, I like the idea that the USASF came up with standards for uniforms. Every other sport has them, why not cheer? Now you might not like the standards that they came up with (and I'm ambivalent about the whole crop top debate these days) but I think they're a reasonable starting point. However, it seems like many would rather go back to letting "gyms decide" or "let it be a free-for-all".

And to me, that speaks the bigger issue - which is that people are bristling against the idea of the USASF regulating anything regarding cheer. Whether it's tumbling rules or uniforms, age grids or music, the idea that the staid, fuddy-duddy, incompetent USASF gets involved is either a.) a conspiracy with Varsity or b.) bureacracy run amok.

Look, folks: if we want to be taken seriously as a sport, we need a real governing body. For all the USASF's flaws - they're at least trying to be that in the U.S. But I'm convinced there's a segment of the cheer world that, deep down, doesn't want a governing body at all. Or if they do, they want one that will rubber-stamp whatever their gym does.
Stating an alternative idea and a good one at that does not mean I am for "let it be a free-for-all" nor does it mean I am conspiring against the USASF. This is America where people are free to give their opinion even if it goes against authority or popular opinion. Give me a break, the USASF does not need everyone shaking their heads in agreement like good little robots. They need to hear other points of view even if they don't act on it. They need to be in touch with what athletes and gym owners are saying, feeling and living.

Stating an alternative idea and a good one at that does not mean I am for "let it be a free-for-all" nor does it mean I am conspiring against the USASF. This is America where people are free to give their opinion even if it goes against authority or popular opinion. Give me a break, the USASF does not need everyone shaking their heads in agreement like good little robots. They need to hear other points of view even if they don't act on it. They need to be in touch with what athletes and gym owners are saying, feeling and living.

And you don't think they are? Or they're not at least trying? I'll listen to the argument that the USASF needs to hear more voices, or that their isn't enough gym representation. But you just proved my point - there is a segment of the populace that is going to be dismissive of anything the USASF does, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.

And you don't think they are? Or they're not at least trying? I'll listen to the argument that the USASF needs to hear more voices, or that their isn't enough gym representation. But you just proved my point - there is a segment of the populace that is going to be dismissive of anything the USASF does, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.
Please explain how voicing ones opinion is being dismissive? If I was to disregard the rule and dress my youth in crop tops then I am proving your point but nobody is saying that. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Please explain how voicing ones opinion is being dismissive? If I was to disregard the rule and dress my youth in crop tops then I am proving your point but nobody is saying that. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Point taken.

What I will say, though, is that I don't think this rule can be managed via "deductions" or a vague policy. Because then every EP's going to have a different standard and leave things open to interpretation (sometimes between events run by the same producer) and then you'll have chaos. It'd be far more likely that some team would get penalized at a major competition for uniforms they wore all year.

If it's going to be a rule, it needs to be a rule that has clear guidelines on what constitutes a legal uniform, and a consistent, across-the-board penalty if you violate those rules. The USASF is the only logical governing body that can come up with a rule and then at least have a prayer of ensuring it's enforced.

Now does that mean that EP's can still get the interpretation of the rule wrong? Of course, they can, and they very well might. And we can argue whether the rules they came up with are too restrictive. But I support the concept.

I wish someone from the USASF would go to those gyms that had uniforms and moves that you see and think - what in the heck were they drinking when they choose this for a CP - and say if you intend to have your CPs wear outfits that have this little of material you will occur severe deductions. Because I don't think the teams that would get those deductions would be questioning them - they really seem to like the shock factor. The image of that one minis team grinding in skimpy costumes - just flashes back and I think what in the hell went through all the grown up minds involved with letting that reach the stage. I see all of us spectators from different gyms open mouth looking from the stage to each other. I had friends at gyms with crop tops by us as well and they were in shock. It was one of those okay somebody step in (USASF) and slap someone upside the head and give em a good dose of common sense. Surprised TLC did not go after that gym in a hot minute for a show.

I never said what side of the fence I was on about this whole thing. I just told you why I didn't think your arguments were working. Don't assume that I like or dislike the rule.
Hey you got both Coach Troy and I to shimmy -- we agree on something :chestbump:. As much as I debate with Coach Troy on this I do admire his passion for his sport and his gyms. We may never come to agreement on this and a few other things but I think the other things he states are important are and need to be addressed .

i do not like this rule at all, and how are they going to enforce it?? it's going to be nearly impossible to enforce this. this is a good rule to have for tinys, minis and maybe youth girls, but not for junior girls. once you get up to the higher level tumbling, full tops can be restricting. and those 2 minutes and 30 seconds are alot of work, not to mention the 20-30 minutes back in warmups and it can get really hot in those full tops.

i do not like this rule at all, and how are they going to enforce it?? it's going to be nearly impossible to enforce this. this is a good rule to have for tinys, minis and maybe youth girls, but not for junior girls. once you get up to the higher level tumbling, full tops can be restricting. and those 2 minutes and 30 seconds are alot of work, not to mention the 20-30 minutes back in warmups and it can get really hot in those full tops.
Not to throw a log on this, but 1) just because they're juniors doesn't mean they're higher level. And 2) maybe its just because my CP has always competed in a full top, I don't get the whole tumbling argument. If a uniform style effects your tumbling, it might not be the uniform. We've got standing fulls, double fulls and all the rest in full tops....doesn't seem like its a deal breaker. My CP does say its hot, but I'm thinking 2:30 on any stage, under those lights, and those circumstances is not attributable to just a uniform.

Not to throw a log on this, but 1) just because they're juniors doesn't mean they're higher level. And 2) maybe its just because my CP has always competed in a full top, I don't get the whole tumbling argument. If a uniform style effects your tumbling, it might not be the uniform. We've got standing fulls, double fulls and all the rest in full tops....doesn't seem like its a deal breaker. My CP does say its hot, but I'm thinking 2:30 on any stage, under those lights, and those circumstances is not attributable to just a uniform.
I wasn't saying that juniors are a higher level, I was saying that the higher levels are more common in the older age divisions. The reason that I find full tops restrictive is because I did not learn to tumble and do allstar cheerleading in them. I did high school basketball cheerleading for 2 years with the full tops and I do not think I performed as well in them. To me the full tops are restrictive, but I could get used to them if I had to, but that is just my opinion.

I wasn't saying that juniors are a higher level, I was saying that the higher levels are more common in the older age divisions. The reason that I find full tops restrictive is because I did not learn to tumble and do allstar cheerleading in them. I did high school basketball cheerleading for 2 years with the full tops and I do not think I performed as well in them. To me the full tops are restrictive, but I could get used to them if I had to, but that is just my opinion.
I hear that argument, I just don't get it. Most of the monster tumblers that get me screaming for their awesomeness are guys. Never seen one in a crop and they seem to bust out Arabians through to double doubles (may it rest in peace) just fine.

I hear that argument, I just don't get it. Most of the monster tumblers that get me screaming for their awesomeness are guys. Never seen one in a crop and they seem to bust out Arabians through to double doubles (may it rest in peace) just fine.
While it would be funny to see the guys compete in crop tops, I understand your point. I personally do notlike or want to wear a full top, but since this is my last season with allstar cheerleading, :'( , I guess that I shouldn't be worrying about this new rule.

so i dont really feel like going through 25pages of comments to see if this has been mentioned, but what about crossovers from youth and jr teams on to sr teams are they now supposed to buy two uniforms, and if they are how does that help this image rule, because now the image in my mind is upset parents complaining of high cost!

so i dont really feel like going through 25pages of comments to see if this has been mentioned, but what about crossovers from youth and jr teams on to sr teams are they now supposed to buy two uniforms, and if they are how does that help this image rule, because now the image in my mind is upset parents complaining of high cost!
We've heard this concern more than once over the past 6 weeks. The 2nd to final draft of the policy actually had ALL all star athletes (including Seniors) covering their midriffs. Seniors were spared the new regulation as a compromise to address some coaches' concern that the crop top was a competitive difference that their program had in comparison to the local high school cheer program. Excluding the Seniors does create a ootential uniform conflict. But the Gym Owner has 3 years tod evelop a strategy and can resolve the conflict by either dressing the senior teams in full tops with the rest of the program (we aren't saying Senior teams MUST continue wearing crop tops, we are just saying Junior and below won't be allowed to) or by allowing those Junior athletes to wear their Junior uniform when crossing over to the Senior division. If the design is done properly, the audience and judges will usually not even catch (and usually don't catch) when athletes in the routine are wearing a full top version of a crop top uniform.
Great lengths were taken to ensure the Image Policy didn't create any additional financial burden on Coaches, Athletes, and Parents. That is why the full top policy is being cycled in over 3.5 years and why the makeup component doesnt take affect until 2013--in the off chance that a mother bought two years worth of make up for her daughter's competition, that family wouldn't be out any money from their purchase. Kind of a ridiculous scearnio, but nonetheless evidence that a lot of time and energy went into laying out the timeline.

Back