All-Star Only Seniors Can Expose Midriff???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The 8 yr olds aren't the ones having the wardrobe malfunctions either...
I personally don't mind. I allow my child to wear a hello kitty bikini to the beach and a sports bra and soffees to practice...which is actually less clothing than her uniform

So the argument "I can wear it the beach" means it's up to performance standards? Agree to disagree, I'm not buying it.

My gym already only does full tops for junior and under teams. It's not about modesty, it's about how we're viewed outside of the industry. Read this article and look at all the emphasis that is placed on what the little girls are wearing and their makeup and their facials rather than their athletic achievements and tell me that nothing needs to be done. Uniforms in every other sport are designed with the athletic needs of the sport in mind. We don't NEED crop tops, they're more comfortable and arguably a requirement for coed stunting, but I don't know any stats that show that the skills of junior and under teams are impeded in any way by crop tops.

ESPN The Magazine: Grade-school girls who now compete in youth cheerleading are pulling off unimaginable stunts and routines -- and possibly growing up too quickly - ESPN

Here's an exact quote from the article, funny how some of the words used are exactly what the USASF just went after:

"But while all-star emphasizes athleticism, it also ramps up the sexualization intrinsic to an activity whose most recognizable professional form remains the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. All-star teams have names like Divas and Bombshells Baby. Girls compete in full makeup, with bright red lipstick and mascara, and sometimes even Vegas-style eye rhinestones, false eyelashes and wigs. While the average 8-year-old Pop Warner sideline cheerleader might wear a pleated skirt that lays midthigh, with bike shorts underneath, CEA cheerleaders compete in tight Lycra skirts that barely cover the bottoms of their glittery underpants, paired with an off-the-shoulder half-shirt."

My daughter prefers the crop tops because they dont ride up like the full tops often do. I just think they are more pratical for that reason, but I know the crop tops don't look good on all cheerleaders and some feel uncomfortable. I have mixed feelings about it.

Full length top with strategically placed cut outs will be allowed right? I mean as long as it covers one shoulder we're all good.

We've had this rule in Sweden for many years and I think it's great. Partly because it has an effect on how we are viewed from the outside. But a bigger reason is the fact that I don't want small children worrying about their weight or going on a diet to look good in their crop top. There is enough pressure to be cute, girly and thin as it is, as well as the everlasting problem of "I stop eating maybe I'll be small enough to fly". Anything we can do to keep children from developing unhealthy body images is a good thing.

I don't mind this rule change one bit. Sorry but seeing overweight cheerleaders with their bellies overhanging their skirts is just too much sometimes. And you can see how many poor girls don't like their uniforms, just watch how many girls walk around all day with their hands wrapped around their waist trying to cover their bare bellies. The only time crop tops look decent is when your physically fit with 0% body fat.

I know I will get slammed for this, but if you are participating in a sport at a high level isn't the goal physical fitness? A uniform showing off an athlete's physique isn't inappropriate. As a sport we should have to eliminate crops because out of shape and overweight kids?

I know I will get slammed for this, but if you are participating in a sport at a high level isn't the goal physical fitness? A uniform showing off an athlete's physique isn't inappropriate. As a sport we should have to eliminate crops because out of shape and overweight kids?

Fitness isn't a part of the scoresheet - there's no need to show it off. Your skills on the mat will show how skilled you are, showing off your six pack doesn't do that. Basketball players don't show off their muscles, even gymnasts wear leotards and they're probably more fit than most cheerleaders.

See really, I have a slightly different opinion...Older girls have breasts, Tiny's do not. Now MOST men are not hardwired to be pedos so they're not looking at the little girls thinking...mmmhhmmm
...however, they are hardwired to at least have a look at 16yr old girl w/breasts and a nice figure (as are even women). A bikini on a 6 year old looks a hell of a lot different than a bikini on an attractive younger woman w/a nice figure. When you look, one makes you say "awww, how cute"..the other...I'll just leave it at that.

Also I dare someone to tell me to put something over my child after I've paid your comp fee, my travel expenses, AND my entry fee to go watch my child compete after I've already paid for her to compete. See what happens!

i see where you are coming from but that is why they are also putting the limitations on the senior teams that will ahve the half top uniforms....and at the same time i can see how it is cute on the younger ones, but if it is okay for them to wear it when they are younger they are going to think it is okay when they are older too...you need to instill the values while they are young....and if your problem is with the older, developed girls wearing the half top unis then how can you let a 7 year old wear it but then once they are 14,15,16 and developing take it away?

i see where you are coming from but that is why they are also putting the limitations on the senior teams that will ahve the half top uniforms....and at the same time i can see how it is cute on the younger ones, but if it is okay for them to wear it when they are younger they are going to think it is okay when they are older too...you need to instill the values while they are young....and if your problem is with the older, developed girls wearing the half top unis then how can you let a 7 year old wear it but then once they are 14,15,16 and developing take it away?

So by letting my 9 yr old wear a crop top I wouldn't be instilling values?

Why do junior and youth aged kids need to be "showing off their physique"? If the goal is "showing off your physique", that can be done without a crop top. The girls on NCATA squads look far more fit/athletic, as a whole, than any other squads I've seen...and they accomplish that in full tops.

So by letting my 9 yr old wear a crop top I wouldn't be instilling values?

you can still instill values obviously... but how can you say that it is okay to wear a half top at age 9 then at age 14/15 when they start developing say its not okay because now there are more "attractive" body parts to look at was my only point in regards to what xtremeteal4life was saying about not letting older girls wear half tops

Why do junior and youth aged kids need to be "showing off their physique"? If the goal is "showing off your physique", that can be done without a crop top. The girls on NCATA squads look far more fit/athletic, as a whole, than any other squads I've seen...and they accomplish that in full tops.
The argument of the other poster was that full tops are better so that overweight girls bellies won't be hanging out over their skirt. My point was that a rule should not be made in order to accommodate the out of shape when you are participating in a sport. It is so,ilar to my own issue with the new tumbling restrictions. The rule was according to the usasf release put in place to make tumbling less elite so as to enable increased participation in the sport. We are taking things away in order to make it more generic and IMO water down the sport. For those less serious and at lower levels they can choose to compete rec league, pop Warner etc rather then for an entire sport to water down their own skill set.

I would only agree with this rule if it made any sense. If they are going to stop some from wearing it you might as well say that no one can. If a 12/13 year old on a youth/junior 3,4, or 5 team ask you why a 10 year old on a senior 2 (or even the same level as them) is allowed to wear them but they are not what exactly are you going to say?

Back