All-Star Only Seniors Can Expose Midriff???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's an exact quote from the article, funny how some of the words used are exactly what the USASF just went after:

"But while all-star emphasizes athleticism, it also ramps up the sexualization intrinsic to an activity whose most recognizable professional form remains the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. All-star teams have names like Divas and Bombshells Baby. Girls compete in full makeup, with bright red lipstick and mascara, and sometimes even Vegas-style eye rhinestones, false eyelashes and wigs. While the average 8-year-old Pop Warner sideline cheerleader might wear a pleated skirt that lays midthigh, with bike shorts underneath, CEA cheerleaders compete in tight Lycra skirts that barely cover the bottoms of their glittery underpants, paired with an off-the-shoulder half-shirt."
That woman is a fraud. She is NOT a sports writer. She writes about..are you ready, FEMINIST and Middle Eastern issues. She was biased going in. Yeah I researched her and sent her and her editor a nice letter. Yeah it sucks that's how she portrayed it, but did you happen to see a little piece CNN did on Allstar and CEA? At least people could visibly see it's not how that reporter portrayed it be.

i see where you are coming from but that is why they are also putting the limitations on the senior teams that will ahve the half top uniforms....and at the same time i can see how it is cute on the younger ones, but if it is okay for them to wear it when they are younger they are going to think it is okay when they are older too...you need to instill the values while they are young....and if your problem is with the older, developed girls wearing the half top unis then how can you let a 7 year old wear it but then once they are 14,15,16 and developing take it away?
Another point, I'm not going to allow anyone to tell me what MY values are supposed to be. I don't have a problem w/them at all. I'm merely point out that the sexual undertones suggested by this rule change, in hindsight, seem less appropriate on developed girls.

So the argument "I can wear it the beach" means it's up to performance standards? Agree to disagree, I'm not buying it.
You neglected to mention the practice wear..you only brought up the bikini.... Aside from the other points I've actually brought up, which are far more telling..If a sports bra and soffees are acceptable in the gym, crop unis should really pose no problem.

I think saying "they can't tell us what to wear" is a bit extreme. They certainly can if they are the governing body. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey these all have a standard uniform that can be customized to an extent. but still have guidelines. Figure skating has rules about the costumes as well.

Do I agree with what they're saying? Not totally. But I see why there needs to be some regulation. We all are aware of the teams that cross the line.

If not getting to expose your stomach is THAT big of a deal, maybe you should give bikini modeling a shot....

You can make all the excuses you want about it being more "comfortable" or "easier to maneuver" in crop tops, but as far as I know, cheer and SOME concentrations of dance are the only sports that can't manage to be clothed while participating in their respective competitions.

I think crop tops are as cute as the next person, but I honestly like this rule and think it moves us toward legitimacy.

Ok I hear you but people keep throwing out the word "legitimize" our sport. Legitimize to who.. and once it is, will that make cheerleading any better or worse. Just because your a sport, the sport itself doesn't change. Cheerleading will always be cheerleading, its an activity that is highly athletic but is also performance based. Also if you have ever seen volleyball, swimming, dance, aerobic championships, or wrestling... those sports all wear "small" outfits. Sorry but wearing a uniform that covers your stomach isn't going to make someone respect us more or less.

I actually agree with the uniform restrictions that are coming up , kids now a days grow up so fast, why push them along in the process. I understand that having your own individual style is important to a lot of people, yet I do feel that you can still have that while being covered.

You neglected to mention the practice wear..you only brought up the bikini.... Aside from the other points I've actually brought up, which are far more telling..If a sports bra and soffees are acceptable in the gym, crop unis should really pose no problem.

Oh, sorry. Sports bras and soffees in the GYM are within context. You're in a private establishment that is typically not open for the public for anyone to walk in and out as they please. Most competitions are held in a convention center, a PUPLIC convention center where typically MANY events are going on. Within your gym walls people understand or maybe even expect to see young people running around in shorts and a sports bra. In the real world full of "non-cheer" people they do not expect this sight to be seen. Do you take your daughter to the grocery store or mall in a sports bra and shorts?

I'm not against crop tops but I don't see this rule as being a HUGE deal. If this makes or breaks the sport for you you're in the wrong sport.

Yea, I've read a lot of opinions at this point and my conclusion still stands. This country is FULL of people who feel like certain things should be restricted, but often that jeopardizes the very liberties that our country prides itself on for our people.

Are some teams too much in my personal opinion? YES. Are some gyms' unis absolutely adorable in my personal opinion? YES. At the end of the day, they are my opinions though and I don't think someone's opinion should govern other people's free rights. The parents, gym owners, and athletes should have a final decision, END OF STORY. They are the ones wearing it, buying it, ordering it, being comfortable/uncomfortable in it.

I'm sure there are tons of people who think guys shouldn't be able to do drag or dress in tight clothes, or say girls shouldn't shave their hair off or wear super baggy clothing, but it's America and everyone SHOULD have that liberty. This sport included. I get everyone agreeing with full tops for minis/youth, but start that conversation at YOUR GYM and for YOUR ATHLETES if your opinion is that strong about it. Walk up to the coaches you think have gone too far with concern. But to regulate this on a large scale? Absolutely not.

Thank you for reading my mind.

If Court decides she wants the whole program to wear full tops then I'll order mine tomorrow. No problem! I have a problem with a governing body telling HER what she can and can't do with her business. Especially when there are such a multitude of issues that NEED their immediate attention and aren't getting it.

Thank you for reading my mind.

If Court decides she wants the whole program to wear full tops then I'll order mine tomorrow. No problem! I have a problem with a governing body telling HER what she can and can't do with her business. Especially when there are such a multitude of issues that NEED their immediate attention and aren't getting it.

I understand that you feel you should be able to make your own choices in what you wear, but any other sport has regulations and guidelines in place for what their athletes can and cannot wear. Sure they can be customized with their team name and colors but the majority of sports have a governing body telling them what they can and cannot wear.

Do they have much bigger issues to worry about? Most definitely!!! But they chose to tackle this one for whatever reason.

Reactions: aud
Back