All-Star Only Team Competing In A Division

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 17, 2011
This has happened to my daughters team a few times. IMO if there are no other teams competing in a division the fee should be refunded and the team allowed to be included as an exhibition. What do you think?

Even when teams are the only one's in their division, they're still able to compete for Grand Champion (if there is one). But, I agree, it's a waste of the competition fee when they aren't competing against anyone. What really irritates me is when a team is the only one in their division and they're named "National Champions" and they get all the champion gear. That's just so silly to me.

Have you asked for the fee to be refunded and to be listed as exhibition and been declined? Or you just think it should be an automatic thing?

You run into this a lot in Canada...even at nationals there are still some divisions with one or two teams in them. I still think that whether they are competing against someone or not, it is beneficial to the team to actually compete and get scored to see how exactly your team scores, especially in the more subjective categories, so if you return to another event hosted be the same EP, you know what to expect/what to change to hit their scoresheet a little bit better

No, I'm a parent but that just irks me. I just think it should be an option, if the team is okay with it then of course it's not a problem.
Have you asked for the fee to be refunded and to be listed as exhibition and been declined? Or you just think it should be an automatic thing?

Place yourself in the event holders shoes...how can he or she know who will sign up...sometimes lifes not perfect...I feel we are all blessed to just get to do this sport...bumps and all...:)
It may help the event holder to take a look at their event to see why it's not attracting programs. If you're looking forward to a competition then the week before you realize you don't have anyone in your division it's disappointing. Of course if your girls and parents don't mind then more power to you.

I agree. At the same time, its not the team's fault. But I wish that people had to compete against a score or something of that nature.

I agree totally. I've been to a few comps where they had to do this. My daughter's team (at our first, not-so-good gym) actually was the only team in their division and still didn't win because they didn't score well enough. :oops: So they went home empty-handed. They were upset, but I thought it was fine - why should they get hoodies and medals when they couldn't even successfully compete a routine that was at the level they were in?

This way even if you're not up against someone you still have to be "competitive" and score well enough that if there was another team you would know you would have held your own in your division.

I agree. At the same time, its not the team's fault. But I wish that people had to compete against a score or something of that nature.
Totally agree. I hate when teams win by default and then brag that they won. I asked a friend of mine how they did and she said we got 1st place!!! I said great, who came in 2nd? Oh, we didn't compete against anyone.

Even when teams are the only one's in their division, they're still able to compete for Grand Champion (if there is one). But, I agree, it's a waste of the competition fee when they aren't competing against anyone. What really irritates me is when a team is the only one in their division and they're named "National Champions" and they get all the champion gear. That's just so silly to me.

I hate that too. Here is a little different situation... We went to a nationals last year and in the senior 3 coed division there were only 2 teams. The team that won got first with 3 falls in stunting and at least 3 on tumbling. I lost count of the number of falls for the team that got 2nd. I think their should be a minimum of points a team has to get in order to be the "National Champions" because it was just embarrassing. It just cheapened what a National Champion should be IMO.

It may help the event holder to take a look at their event to see why it's not attracting programs. If you're looking forward to a competition then the week before you realize you don't have anyone in your division it's disappointing. Of course if your girls and parents don't mind then more power to you.
I just think a little seranity in situations you have no control over is more healthy for all concerned...IMHO

We went thru that a lot 2 years ago with our jr 1, there just weren't a lot of jr1 teams around. But we still competed for grand/level champions. Some divisions just don't have a lot of teams.

Back