All-Star Only Team Competing In A Division

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe that's just how cheer is sometimes. Parents get mad if their daughters team is the only team in their division but it's not anyones fault if no other team is there to compete. That's just how cheer is at times...but that team better be trying to win High point either way. That's why I think it's better to attend more national competitions then regular ones, your bound to have someone to compete against

Another thing I don't like is when Open teams go to a competition and there is no one in their division. Paying $50+ for a competition is a big deal for college kids, when its constantly no competition.
I agree, thats a lot.......what I didnt like is a comp last year combining and int coed and int all girl.......the coed clearly had the skills the all girl was just clean and beat the co-ed, it was just strange. No one knew they were going to combine them

Usually if you're the only one in a division a lot of companies make you beat a certain score to be "National Champions".

Usually if you're the only one in a division a lot of companies make you beat a certain score to be "National Champions".
Yes you do, in our area I have witnessed with my own eyes a team competing against NO ONE and was given 2nd place because they didn't beat the minimum score required. IMO I don't think money should be refunded, however I would recommend that your coach or owner speak to the EP before the comp if they don't feel they will have anyone in their division and say they would like to be listed as an exhibition (which is often times a lower fee). EP's still are allowing you to perform on the floor they installed, in front of judges they paid for so reduced "exhibition" cost I agree with, free I don't.

Yes you do, in our area I have witnessed with my own eyes a team competing against NO ONE and was given 2nd place because they didn't beat the minimum score required. IMO I don't think money should be refunded, however I would recommend that your coach or owner speak to the EP before the comp if they don't feel they will have anyone in their division and say they would like to be listed as an exhibition (which is often times a lower fee). EP's still are allowing you to perform on the floor they installed, in front of judges they paid for so reduced "exhibition" cost I agree with, free I don't.

I've also seen EP's ask a team to compete in an older age group (i.e. Youth 3 team competing as Junior 3) because there were no other Youth 3 teams registered. That way, they had some competition.

Didn't GBE Orange (JCO5) just compete as a Sr Rest. 5 just a few weeks ago (@ Jamfest Dekalb). I'm guessing that was a situation like this.

I've also seen EP's ask a team to compete in an older age group (i.e. Youth 3 team competing as Junior 3) because there were no other Youth 3 teams registered. That way, they had some competition.

Didn't GBE Orange (JCO5) just compete as a Sr Rest. 5 just a few weeks ago (@ Jamfest Dekalb). I'm guessing that was a situation like this.
I've seen this happen as well but often times coaches of all teams have to agree to it.

I agree. At the same time, its not the team's fault. But I wish that people had to compete against a score or something of that nature.

The competitions I've been to they do have teams compete against a score...I've seen teams come in 2nd place with no others in division, because they went against a score and didn't beat it

I didn't know that.. That is good to know. :) I just looked at the website for the nationals that we were at and I can't find anywhere that says they don't have a set score to beat. Oh well.

We had this happen to my CP's team at our first competition. It stunk that there were no other teams to compete against, but the owner viewed it as a chance to get some feedback from the judges and see where we could improve for the next time. As it so happened....our JR 4 beat out the Sr 4 division and won grand champ, so all was not lost. We also walked away with some positive feedback from the judges.

We had this happen to my CP's team at our first competition. It stunk that there were no other teams to compete against, but the owner viewed it as a chance to get some feedback from the judges and see where we could improve for the next time. As it so happened....our JR 4 beat out the Sr 4 division and won grand champ, so all was not lost. We also walked away with some positive feedback from the judges.
Yes, that worked out well.

this happens a lot at the small locals in michigan. I know at jamfest in detroit 2 weekends ago they combined a lot of divisions. they combined level 4 large all girl, large coed, and small coed. And they were going to combine level 3 small all girl, large all girl, small coed, and large coed but they ended up splitting all girl and coed because another team registered.

Back