All-Star Outside Of Scoring What Do Coaches Find Frustrating About Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Warmups - safety issues, space, no water, overwhelmed staff, when they dont run on time for no good reason.

Legality issues. Consistent across the board regardless of team, division or the coach arguing in your face. If you ding little no name gym, you ding major everybody knows their name gym. If you give one a break, then you gotta give them all.

VIP seating. Okay I know you really want to watch the superstar teams but other teams parents and families would like to see their teams too. And just because you hold up a shirt from the superstar gym (or change into right there) we know you are not from that gym so please exit and let other gyms fans see their teams up close too.

Scoring - more so not being able to add the scores correctly and making errors in announcement of places. Saying I'm sorry never replaces that moment.

Time - Just please run on time or as close to on time as possible. Nothing like being told competition will end at 5:00pm, you dont finish awards until after 8pm and there are less teams at the competition than the company originally thought.

well im not a coach, but i hate the competition food. seriously, all they sell is french fries and hot dogs and things like that. i cant eat before i compete because i feel so bogged down from the food. cant they sell fruit and granola bars or things like that?

CheerAmerican Nationals in Houston had a terrific salad bar. You could pick exactly what type of lettuce and veggies you wanted! It was great! I expected to see that at NCA also, but I was sadly mistaken.

As a judge:
how some comps don't leave designated space for supporting athletes while performing, so their right beside the judging table (which is at the front) so its really distracting to have people thisclose to you while you're scoring. (only happens at school gym comps)

As a coach:
When comps run early, and the team goes from warmup to performance mat with out much of a break.

Delays before awards. It shouldn't take 2 hours to figure out scores.

Performance runs behind (or early) and the warmup room doesn't change to match.

Audio issues for the athletes on the floor. Their audio needs to be the main priority.

Allowing saving of seats. 1 or 2 spots while someone runs to the restroom - OK. Saving a whole team's spots while they go warmup and compete - not OK.

height shouldn't be scored in difficulty. Difficulty scores are quantity and frequency. If you're a level 2 team with 20 people on the floor, i want to see a section of 5 baskets and I want to see at least one other basket in the routine.
I agree. But since King asked us for stuff BESIDES scoring I realized I shouldn't have posted that here. Thanks for the back up on that one Rich!

I agree with blunchin Having something for the coaches to drink/eat would be nice. Also a dedicated coaches room. In between running from warmups to competition floor, I'd like a place (preferably WITHOUT cheer music) to get away from the craziness and just sit, go over scoresheets without prying eyes, or talk to my coaching friends.

Warmups that have enough time on each mat, with music on the full floor.

Stop with the games and dancing before awards. Just get down to business.

Judges...please make your handwriting legible. I can't implement your suggestions if I don't know what you're suggesting.

One thing that drove me nuts when I was team mom:

I always always appreciate the EP's putting the schedule on their website. However, it drove me insane when the gym would send out an email that says "X team meet at such-and-such time" and inevitably some parents will come strolling in ten minutes before warmups because they got on the EP website, saw what time warmups were, and didn't feel like dragging precious out of bed at 6:30 so we could meet at 8:00 like the rest of us. The schedule is great, but please EP's, if you could just post the competitions times to your websites, that would be fab. Honestly, the only thing that parents should be concerned with is a)what time they are told to be there and b) what time their kid competes.

Jump and tumble offs at the smaller competitions. I hate when you have been there for 12+ hrs and the end of performances come and instead of awards we are going to spend an hr doing a jump and tumble off. Seriously do that in a different room, I just want awards and to go home at that point. They seem to drag it out too.
I may be incorrect, but I've always assumed that dance parties, tumble/jump offs are used to fill the time between the last performance and the scores, placements, getting ready for awards etc happens in the background

The best run competition I've been to this season at Battle at the Boardwalk in Atlantic City run by Epic. It was on-time, the staff was very helpful and knowledgable too. One thing that always kills me (as a coach) is when you're registering teams and the company has young kids working the registration who can't seem to answer any of questions. That just starts the day off wrong.

We have been experiencing alot of competitions who aren't [printing up schedules. Or they print up Session 1 schedules for coaches but not the rest of the day??

Also the sound systems this season have been AWFUL! We've had two occasions where the kids can't hear the music because the speakers are facing away from the stage and also having crackling music because "the system is new."[/quote

Battle at the Boardwalk was my favorite too. I think it's the favorite of everyone in our gym!

I may be incorrect, but I've always assumed that dance parties, tumble/jump offs are used to fill the time between the last performance and the scores, placements, getting ready for awards etc happens in the background

They are used for that and to fill time during other breaks.

when the small local competitions have that one girl who messes up the entire schedule because she just had to upchuck on the mat (couldn't find a better way to say it) I'm just saying please don't do it on the mat. It think that's my biggest pet peeve. oh and stunt Olympics at the end waiting for awards.

Back