All-Star Outsider's View Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think its the hair that turns everyone away most my friends get jealous when my hairs all done, but i think the uniform should not be worn after you have competed and are walking around the mall, eating, etc. That gives the image that we want everyone to look at us.

I would love to see an end to all the make up and hair requirements and just change to a pony tail for long hair like all other female athletes wear.

I don't totally agree with your statement BUT I do believe some of the makeup has gotten out of control and some of the hairstyles too.

I am for a more natural looking makeup. Reason being, there is still a performance factor involved in this sport and as with any other 'theatrical' performance, the face along with the skill draws the crowd in. I don't feel that rhinestones on the eyes add to the performance (JMO) or extremely wild eyes, lips etc but you definitely don't want the face to wash out under those bright lights.

I'm probably the type of person that is being referred to...

My daughter almost never wears anything but her uniform all day. She usually wants to keep it on so I let her. We would get there early with her being fully dressed. She would keep her uniform on all day and if she was cold which usually never lasted more then 5 mins she would put her warm up jacket on just like this...

a6934890-ba5e-c256.jpg

But besides that my cp would wear it out to eat or whatever. We would usually come back to the competition later to see our senior 4 and my daughter would still be fully dressed. The coaches would always let her go to warmups with those kids an even go on stage to their awards. Jaylen was like their little sister and beside her being smaller then them she completely fit in. I think she wanted to keep it on when they had theirs on because she would pretend she was on sr 4.

My thing is I don't see nothing wrong with it. It's just a uniform and she is a cheerleader. I think the real problem here is everyone is referring to cheerleaders in crop tops. I see millions of kids every weekend at the mall and stores after they got done playing baseball or soccer and still in uniform..and no one is complaining about that. In reality it is no different then baseball/soccer players keeping their uniform on. So I say it's a parents choice and if I'm ok with my child like that then you should be ok with the decision I have made for my child. If you don't like it then don't let your child wear their uniform but if my baby wants to wear hers out to eat then she should be able to.

I see a lot more kids who are dressed terribly sloppy and in clothes that don't fit and that have parents that don't brush their kids hair. Although it makes me sad for these kids that have parents who don't care about their child appearance it is not my place to tell them they should dress their kids differently.

The beach is the beach though. It's not downtown in the heroin capital of the U.S., where you make one wrong turn and you are in a really, really bad part of town. There is Baltimore's famed area knows as "The Block" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Block_(Baltimore) not too far away, not to mention on the weekends there are plenty of highly intoxicated people all around. Baltimore has strip joints mixed in among bars and it's just bad news. When I was younger I never cared to go there and party.
Druggies and predators don't visit the beach? They're everywhere. It's our job as parents to protect them and not let them wander alone in a strange city. OR beach for that matter.

IMHO...it's not that big of a deal...kids wear less at the beach...just sayin

Like the above poster said, that is the beach though. There are appropriate dress codes for different locations. The office? Shirt and tie, blouse and skirt. School? Casual wear. The beach? A bathing suit. The streets of an urban downtown area? .........Crop tops and micromini skirts? Probably not.

Just because we perform in a certain outfit does not mean it is appropriate once we leave the performance venue. Do you think VS models leave their fashion shows in the million dollar "Fantasy Bra" and matching underwear and parade the streets? I'm guessing not...

I agree with putting warmups or something over the uniform, but in your OP Num1Stunta you said to actually change out of it. I guess my problem with this is where on earth would this changing take place??? Certainly not the bathrooms - its already bad enough in there with the hair and makeup. This isn't like a normal performance group that has a limited number of people. And it's not like Dance Moms where each team is apparently given their own room to get ready in. We're talking a few hundred kids over the course of a day... Where would you have them change at a typical competition venue?

(***This is not necessarily to disagree with you. Just questioning the logistics of how you would actually make it happen)

I agree with putting warmups or something over the uniform, but in your OP Num1Stunta you said to actually change out of it. I guess my problem with this is where on earth would this changing take place??? Certainly not the bathrooms - its already bad enough in there with the hair and makeup. This isn't like a normal performance group that has a limited number of people. And it's not like Dance Moms where each team is apparently given their own room to get ready in. We're talking a few hundred kids over the course of a day... Where would you have them change at a typical competition venue?

(***This is not necessarily to disagree with you. Just questioning the logistics of how you would actually make it happen)
I WISH when I competed we had separate rooms to get ready in (for dance)..mostly there was just another huge hall with chairs and such that was set up for changing and leaving stuff behind. My mother had a smart idea: took an old, large cardboard box and cut it open, she 'decorated' it with wrapping paper, and that was our changing screen. Since it was perforated already, it folded up really nicely.

Ok, I usually don't post but I was at Return from Atlantis this weekend and had 2 incidents that really opened my eyes. First, our girls were in the rest room at a restaurant (they were wearing sweats) and a teenage girl asked them if they were comfortable in the uniforms they were required to wear because she thought they were really skimpy. Obviously our girls were really taken back since they think cheer unis are normal. The second incident scared the #%%^^$$ out of me........We had our girls in the convention center in uniform having a picture taken....nothing unusual about that....... until we noticed a man that none of us had ever seen before standing behind us taking pictures of our girls. (who are 11 and 12). When he notice we were starting to look at him, he exited quickly thru a side entrance. If we weren't so taken by surprise we would have gone after him but by the time we gathered our thoughts he was gone. It doesn't really matter if we find the uniforms to be acceptable if wearing them puts our girls in danger. Just remember what happened to Travon Martin.

Pedos are going to do that anyway..regardless of how "skimpy" the unis are. Just a skirt is enough for them. It's not cool at all..but fortunately I have a good radar for those things and I do say something to them.

Example: The other day at whole foods (which was PACKED bc it just opened), this guy walks over to one of those free cheese stands, takes one and says..."mmmm, I'm gonna have to get my rabbit some of this (really @ 9.99lb?...is he the Cadbury Easter Bunny or something? :confused:) I caught the vibe right away, not to mention he starts right off w/a classic pedo move (talking about cute little bunnies, pets, candy, etc.). Well my husband was with me and noticed too. We walked to the other end of the store to the makeup/skincare section..and guess who shows up? I'm sure he was really looking for a good moisturizer :rolleyes: As I was looking through the items on the shelf, I could see him out of the corner of my eyes. He didn't even have a basket or shopping cart, or a single item in his hands. I glance over to my husband (he knows all my looks and vice verse) and he is looking right at the guy, who keeps pretending not to stare in our direction. My husband finally says, "Something I can help you with? I noticed you've been following us around the store, but you don't appear to be shopping." Dude's face turned white, he pretended not to hear and scurried out of there with a quickness. That's just one example.

Moral of the story? Know who/where your kids are with at all times. Pedos prey on kids in areas that are packed. They know what they're doing. You turn your head for one second...it's why my daughter always goes in a shopping cart or her father and I are both there (like going to the mall). It's not the clothes that matter (don't get me wrong, the less the better for them, true; but so is a skirt-one piece uni)

I don't think it should be require to put a tshirt on/change due tithe hair and makeup as well as picture with awards. That being said, to me, I would just have the girls buy like a team or gym zippy sweatshirt. That way when you put it on no hair is ruined becuase u zip it up. And it's real quick an easy to slip on and off for awards.

Like the above poster said, that is the beach though. There are appropriate dress codes for different locations. The office? Shirt and tie, blouse and skirt. School? Casual wear. The beach? A bathing suit. The streets of an urban downtown area? .........Crop tops and micromini skirts? Probably not.

Just because we perform in a certain outfit does not mean it is appropriate once we leave the performance venue. Do you think VS models leave their fashion shows in the million dollar "Fantasy Bra" and matching underwear and parade the streets? I'm guessing not...

When I lived in Anchorage PETA was doing one of their infamous ads, right smack in the center of downtown. "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" really takes that statement to a whole new level! :eek:

Ok, sorry I got off topic..carry on :cool:

I really don't have a problem with it. If you choose or let your child choose to walk around with your too small uniform on, looking like a scallywag, go for it. The only part I feel in disgusted with; and I saw at Return to Atlantis this weekend too, girls, grown girls who know better walking around with the butt cheeks hanging out of the skinny mini skirts and spankies that are meant to only cover one cheek. I think the USASF should add that ALL uniform skirts be made with boy shorts as there spankies, to the new uniform rules. Its pretty un godly to look at. And if we are a sport that is trying to grow, I think we as athletes should look presentable, not look in away that would deter outsiders to the sport.

I really don't have a problem with it. If you choose or let your child choose to walk around with your too small uniform on, looking like a scallywag, go for it. The only part I feel in disgusted with; and I saw at Return to Atlantis this weekend too, girls, grown girls who know better walking around with the butt cheeks hanging out of the skinny mini skirts and spankies that are meant to only cover one cheek. I think the USASF should add that ALL uniform skirts be made with boy shorts as there spankies, to the new uniform rules. Its pretty un godly to look at. And if we are a sport that is trying to grow, I think we as athletes should look presentable, not look in away that would deter outsiders to the sport.

Now this I like! My daughter has never worn a skirt w/o a built in pair underneath (skorts my mom called them)

Back