All-Star Outsider's View Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to agree with you... I went to lunch on Saturday with friends at the harbor and was appalled at the # of kids walking around in their uniforms or sports bras/spankys... Hello, this is downtown Baltimore guys....I really wish more parents would realize that what is appropriate on stage at a cheer competition is not appropriate to walk around the streets in.... My kid comes off the stage and once dismissed by her coaches changes into shorts (or jeans) and a program tshirt, unless we are going home which means she puts her warmup on...

I just dont understand why parents feel like its ok to walk around outside with minimal clothes on...Would you let them walk around the harbor with a bikini on? Im sure the response is no and most uniforms @Return to Atlantis werent much more material then a bathing suit..... There was a grp of kids from a particular program who tweeted that they couldnt understand why a grp of "disgusting' boys was following them around the harbor area... Ummm, I am sure I can figure it out......

This has been done before, in terms of the image discussion, but I thought I'd share the experience I had this weekend at Return to Atlantis.

This was the FIRST EVER cheerleading competition that my girlfriend has ever attended. She was completely shocked that parents allow their children to walk around the venue, the hood of Baltimore, and the Inner Harbor with their skimpy uniforms on. She said "Do these parents have any idea that their kids look like a piece of meat? Why are they wearing what is essentially a performance costume out in public?" I explained to her that there was a new rule in place for next year about wearing t-shirts if you're not in warm-ups. But she asked me a question that took me a minute to respond to, "Yeah, but once you're done performing, what is the point of having the uniform on at all?" I thought about awards and such, but really she's right.

We're both musicians, which is how we met. When we perform in a church, the robes come off as soon as you're done performing. When you're doing Carnegie Hall, you bring your concert attire in a garment bag on a hanger and change out of it when you're done. If you watch a broadway show, the performers don't leave the venue with their costumes on, right? Her point is, we're a performance sport. When you're on stage, you're getting into character in a way. That's what makes it special in that moment... lights, camera, action, slap on your uniform and transform into a diva. Her thought was that kids would have more respect for the uniform if it were treated as something that only has a purpose on stage.

Outside of that, kids should be in some other kind of gym wear.

So, what would be wrong with kids having a garment bag, arriving to competition in warmups, changing to compete, and then putting their warmups back on and keeping warmups on for awards? My only argument to this was that not every kid can afford warmups and/or an extra bag AND sometimes it gets hot in those arenas so who the heck wants to wear pants and a jacket? or even pants and a t-shirt for that matter? She said "You know what would look awesome?! Boxing robes!" LOL yeah, we'll come back to that:rolleyes:...

I was trying to think of something like practice gear for walking around at competition... shorts and a shirt or just lightweight warmups... Thoughts?

If your at most convention centers, there are numerous bathrooms to change in.... I can speak for the Baltimore Conv Center since we compete there at least 3 times a season, my kid has never had an issue finding a bathroom to change in... she also wears boy cut spankys under her unform (which has attached briefs) and a sports bra, so she could go into the bathroom but not need to go into a stall to change.... I guess my point is that it can be done if you truly want to...

I agree with putting warmups or something over the uniform, but in your OP Num1Stunta you said to actually change out of it. I guess my problem with this is where on earth would this changing take place??? Certainly not the bathrooms - its already bad enough in there with the hair and makeup. This isn't like a normal performance group that has a limited number of people. And it's not like Dance Moms where each team is apparently given their own room to get ready in. We're talking a few hundred kids over the course of a day... Where would you have them change at a typical competition venue?

(***This is not necessarily to disagree with you. Just questioning the logistics of how you would actually make it happen)

Actually the Baltimore Inner Harbor is really beautiful, however it is an Urban setting, so ppl need to act, dress, behave accordingly.... Whats really crazy is that NCA (dallas conv center) is in a very "urban" setting and I saw very few cheerleaders walking around in uniforms on the streets of dallas compared to the # that I did in Baltimore this past weekend......strange.....

better question; why is like every big competition in like the most ghetto places ever (sorry for thread jacking but like seriously...other than like UCA and Worlds...Im always concerned Im going to get hit with a stray bullet at big comps)

I hate that our gym actually allows athletes to wear Uggs with their uniform. They sell the personalized blinged out boots with the gym logo on them, which I don't mind as much, but the girls wear every style Ugg imaginable, in any and every color and I think it looks horrible! I don't understand why they allow this. Is it so horrible to wear your cheer shoes around the venue? They're pretty strict in every other aspect.

I laugh! I am coaching a high school and in their team contract, not only are they to stay in full uniform.. hair up, bow in, skirts zipped, etc... but also if it is a long day they are assigned a TShirt to bring to cover up so they can eat w/o getting pizza grease all over everthing etc, but they were specifically told leave the Uggs and Flip Flops at home and if you are cold, warm-ups only!

I think it would be odd to go from only seeing cheerleaders in schools covered up, to go to an allstar competition seeing girls in spankies and sports bras, and young athletes showing their bellies. Most of us are used to it, and I honestly don't think anything of it. Yeah, cheerleaders are putting on a performance but it's just like gymnastics. Sometimes they wear their leotard during awards and sometimes they wear a warm-up.

As for UGGS...the the kids wear what they what, seriously we're complaining about a shoe.

I
I don't totally agree with your statement BUT I do believe some of the makeup has gotten out of control and some of the hairstyles too.

I am for a more natural looking makeup. Reason being, there is still a performance factor involved in this sport and as with any other 'theatrical' performance, the face along with the skill draws the crowd in. I don't feel that rhinestones on the eyes add to the performance (JMO) or extremely wild eyes, lips etc but you definitely don't want the face to wash out under those bright lights.

I would be happy with a "normal" amount of makeup.

If your at most convention centers, there are numerous bathrooms to change in.... I can speak for the Baltimore Conv Center since we compete there at least 3 times a season, my kid has never had an issue finding a bathroom to change in... she also wears boy cut spankys under her unform (which has attached briefs) and a sports bra, so she could go into the bathroom but not need to go into a stall to change.... I guess my point is that it can be done if you truly want to...

Yes your kid has never had an issue finding a bathroom because it is NOT currently required that all thousand cheerleaders change. If it was I can assure you that there would not be enough space. I can't speak for Baltimore since I live a thousand miles from there, but I can speak for Navy Pier in Chicago. They close/lock all the bathrooms except the 2 inside the arena itself and there is a line a mile long all day. Both my kids wear warmups all day except when performing and at awards. I was just pointing out that if it was required that EVERYONE change out of the uniform there would be a problem with space. Right now you're probably not having problems because the majority of kids do not change.

Yes your kid has never had an issue finding a bathroom because it is NOT currently required that all thousand cheerleaders change. If it was I can assure you that there would not be enough space. I can't speak for Baltimore since I live a thousand miles from there, but I can speak for Navy Pier in Chicago. They close/lock all the bathrooms except the 2 inside the arena itself and there is a line a mile long all day. Both my kids wear warmups all day except when performing and at awards. I was just pointing out that if it was required that EVERYONE change out of the uniform there would be a problem with space. Right now you're probably not having problems because the majority of kids do not change.

It would also probably promote the changing in public that they're trying to avoid. Stripping down to sports bras/spanks against a wall to change or huddling in a corner with your team mates blocking you.

Just due to the sheer size of that venue and the # of ladies rooms in it, I guess that is just never really an issue for the Balt Conv Ctr... (I guess)... There is no less than 7 ladies rooms near the hall(s) that are generally used for cheerleading that I can think of off hand and Ive never been through the whole center at one time, soo, perhaps we just been blessed....

I LOVE the idea of a changing room with a bunch of mirrors with primping. It would leave the bathrooms for actually, well, going to the bathroom.

That said, I really don't understand why it is such a terrible idea to wear some form of warm ups to / from competition with uniform being for performing and awards. Out of the many issues going on in cheer, I would think this should be the easiest to fix. The resistance I have seen on here baffles me.

Oh and this just hit me last night after reading the board and came across this again...there are registered sex offenders at cheerleading competitions too! coaching none the less!!! I really don't feel as though I should have to cater to them and their "problem" sorry...I will protect my cp with every ounce of my being but i will be darned if I'm going to let that one person dictate how me or my child dress, act, walk, sneeze or anything of that nature.

I LOVE the idea of a changing room with a bunch of mirrors with primping. It would leave the bathrooms for actually, well, going to the bathroom.

That said, I really don't understand why it is such a terrible idea to wear some form of warm ups to / from competition with uniform being for performing and awards. Out of the many issues going on in cheer, I would think this should be the easiest to fix. The resistance I have seen on here baffles me.
I'm not exactly sure if it's resistance as much as it is not necessary? If they make the rule of course we will abide by it, however the reasoning for the rule is not 100% justifiable to me. If my kid wants to walk off stage, walk straight out the convention center doors because she's sweating and get fresh air i don't see why i should make her change her clothes before doing so to put on a shirt, warmup pants and/or a jacket...it just doesn't make sense to me. Now if she wants to walk around town after a competition because she has to perform again later (which has been the case for the last 6 years of cheer) then i'm not going to make her change into her uniform twice. Like i said, if they make the rule then ok but until then, we will do what works best for us.

I would much prefer to see cheerleaders dressed in their actual uniform in tact then sports bras, skirts unzipped, spankies and yes UGGS. Though many kids in even my gym do it, it drives me crazy when they pull their arms out of the tops. Representation should be done in a neat matter regardless of what your uni looks like! As for walking around in it, a t shirt over is fine but hello did you not see the hair show models in Baltimore...some turned more heads IMO.

This has been done before, in terms of the image discussion, but I thought I'd share the experience I had this weekend at Return to Atlantis.

This was the FIRST EVER cheerleading competition that my girlfriend has ever attended. She was completely shocked that parents allow their children to walk around the venue, the hood of Baltimore, and the Inner Harbor with their skimpy uniforms on. She said "Do these parents have any idea that their kids look like a piece of meat? Why are they wearing what is essentially a performance costume out in public?" I explained to her that there was a new rule in place for next year about wearing t-shirts if you're not in warm-ups. But she asked me a question that took me a minute to respond to, "Yeah, but once you're done performing, what is the point of having the uniform on at all?" I thought about awards and such, but really she's right.

We're both musicians, which is how we met. When we perform in a church, the robes come off as soon as you're done performing. When you're doing Carnegie Hall, you bring your concert attire in a garment bag on a hanger and change out of it when you're done. If you watch a broadway show, the performers don't leave the venue with their costumes on, right? Her point is, we're a performance sport. When you're on stage, you're getting into character in a way. That's what makes it special in that moment... lights, camera, action, slap on your uniform and transform into a diva. Her thought was that kids would have more respect for the uniform if it were treated as something that only has a purpose on stage.

Outside of that, kids should be in some other kind of gym wear.

So, what would be wrong with kids having a garment bag, arriving to competition in warmups, changing to compete, and then putting their warmups back on and keeping warmups on for awards? My only argument to this was that not every kid can afford warmups and/or an extra bag AND sometimes it gets hot in those arenas so who the heck wants to wear pants and a jacket? or even pants and a t-shirt for that matter? She said "You know what would look awesome?! Boxing robes!" LOL yeah, we'll come back to that:rolleyes:...

I was trying to think of something like practice gear for walking around at competition... shorts and a shirt or just lightweight warmups... Thoughts?
In response to the boxing robe idea...8 years ago my team had a "boxing" theme, and we all wore actual boxing robes as "props" before we performed...hahh. I couldn't resist posting a picture!
258m92e.jpg

Back