All-Star Ownership Of Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 8, 2011
I've been reading through many threads lately that are talking of "home grown" athletes and others that aren't. I'm curious as to opinions on this.
Here is mine from a medium sized gym with a large reputation that I've been with from 90 kids to close to 300.

Years ago I was so into "Look at that girl doing xyz, she's mine, I taught her, that's what I did." I admit it, I was in it for the ego. I was in my younger 20's and wanted to show how cool I was. I have since stepped back and looked at the larger group of athletes that my gym has now. I see many that were former gymnasts, other cheer gyms, soccer players, dancers, football players etc. etc. I find it fun as a coach to have worked with some kids for 8 straight years and I taught them their forward roll up to fulls etc. But I take the same pleasure in a new kid that spent 2 years working on her bhs and help her reach her goal. But I am also not naive enough to think that others haven't had part in that athlete taking shape. Other coaches in the gym, high school coaches, parents, or other team coaches (softball, soccer, etc.) Now, a step further. I take pride in seeing my former athletes or fellow coaches teach kids and help them grow (I have several former athletes that are now coaching at what could be considered "rival" gyms). Do I want to beat them? Yes. Am I proud to see them have success? Yes.

Kids change all the time. Some did piano for 7 years and then decided to play the guitar. Some did dance and then chose cheer, then switched back to dance to go onto SYTYCD and now dance for Taylor Swift. Did I have anything to do with that, I like to internally think so but in reality no or very minor.

This is my take on it as someone who has been in cheer for a very long time. Often times I see kids travel and think to myself "wow that's nuts" but when I had a dancer tell me he was going back to dance I thought to myself "wow that's nuts". Now he is doing amazing things that are good for him that I had no part in. He did take the time while on tour to stop by the gym and say hi and say how much he enjoyed his time at the gym. Isn't that what this whole crazy cheer thing should be about? Teaching, molding, enjoying our time with athletes. Some stay, some move on but the ones that come back or are seen years later that say "My time with you I'll never forget".

As a coach I look to gain knowledge from coaches from Rays, Cali, Twisters, WC, TG the list is long. If I was a kid and could do the same, I can't say that I would hold that against them.

As a parent with two kids who have cheered for 7 seasons I think the ownership of the skills remains with the kids themselves. Let me explain. Both of my children have been exposed to the same coaches, have been in the gym similar amounts of time, etc. One is on a S2 team and struggles to complete a double BHS. In spite of significant encouragement she does little conditioning outside the gym, her diet is marginal, and she is fairly content in her current team placement. Would she like to be on a S3 or S4 team? Sure, but she is not willing to do the work. She needs to OWN that. On the other hand her brother will be competing on a LgCoed team at a high profile gym. He tumbles whenever he can, conditions regularly outside of scheduled practices with little encouragement and makes good diet choices. He has been coached by basically the same people that his sister has. If his sister has to own her current situation it is only right that he own his. Coaching is certainly a significant factor, but an athletes progress is much more dependent on their own discipline and motivation.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

As a parent with two kids who have cheered for 7 seasons I think the ownership of the skills remains with the kids themselves. Let me explain. Both of my children have been exposed to the same coaches, have been in the gym similar amounts of time, etc. One is on a S2 team and struggles to complete a double BHS. In spite of significant encouragement she does little conditioning outside the gym, her diet is marginal, and she is fairly content in her current team placement. Would she like to be on a S3 or S4 team? Sure, but she is not willing to do the work. She needs to OWN that. On the other hand her brother will be competing on a LgCoed team at a high profile gym. He tumbles whenever he can, conditions regularly outside of scheduled practices with little encouragement and makes good diet choices. He has been coached by basically the same people that his sister has. If his sister has to own her current situation it is only right that he own his. Coaching is certainly a significant factor, but an athletes progress is much more dependent on their own discipline and motivation.

I agree 100%!

I agree so much with both of you @yojaehs and @level5cheermom

I stole a meme from @tumbleyoda just yesterday and I am pretty sure it explains exactly how seasoned coaches feel about their athletes and our role in their lives. I can't post the picture so maybe he will.

All kids that I coach are "my" kids, even when I'm not coaching them anymore. I don't take credit for any skills they've mastered, but they'll always be my kids. :)

AMEN!!!

Before I aged out, I relocated to be apart of a gym that could field a team appropriate for my skill level which put me under a lot of scrutiny from my previous gym, and I'm so thankful to be seeing these posts and replies!

No matter where you are from, who you are, or the titles you've won there is always something to learn!

I'd respond with my own two cents... But there's no need. This just said it better than I ever could.

Thread closed. Go about your business ;)

I remember when we left our first gym, I was told by a friend who stayed at the gym that the owner said, in reference to my cp "but, I MADE her!" Two things that are just freaking hilarious about that was 1) the owner never set foot on the mat, she worked the front desk or coached her dance school next door. and 2) my cp was 6. yes, 6 years old. :rolleyes: I'm also pretty sure she had nothing to do with cp's conception ;)

I remember when we left our first gym, I was told by a friend who stayed at the gym that the owner said, in reference to my cp "but, I MADE her!" Two things that are just freaking hilarious about that was 1) the owner never set foot on the mat, she worked the front desk or coached her dance school next door. and 2) my cp was 6. yes, 6 years old. :rolleyes: I'm also pretty sure she had nothing to do with cp's conception ;)

I always refer to athletes I "made" as being the ones that walked in the door with no experience and have always been on my teams...they've only been coached by me. It's not that I think I own their skills, it's just a way that we (both them and myself) joke about who's been around and for how long. It's really funny because the girls will start looking around trying to figure out who started when, who was one what team, etc. It's like they're trying to piece together a puzzle. My fave is one of my S4 kids who was on my Y1 4 years ago. When the "who did Julie make" convo starts, she always points out that I put her in the back for jumps on her level 1 and now she's point jumper (along with being a pretty good L5 tumbler). Geniunely, I am happy to see them achieve new skills. We've lost kids to other gyms here and there, and I always say hi and give them a hug at competitions. I am not the right fit for everyone, and I get that.

When I joined my all star team in 2010 I tried out with a roundoff and aged out in 2012 with a roundoff handspring layout. I'd definitely credit my coaches for encouraging me, and teaching me the skills necessary to perform such tumbling, but the ownership of the skills themselves lies within me. There were many girls exposed to the same coaches for the same amount of time who tried out with a roundoff and graduated with a roundoff. It is ultimately up to the athlete and their level of motivation, paired with the right coach.

All kids that I coach are "my" kids, even when I'm not coaching them anymore. I don't take credit for any skills they've mastered, but they'll always be my kids. :)

100 % agree. Even when a kid switches gym, my doors are (almost) open for everyone to return and i'm proud when i see "my" girls with another team and see that they got better trough hard work and their passion.
Can i tell them how a skill should be executed? Yes.
Can i push them and motivate them to get a skill?
Yes.
Do i own it? No. It's the kids who work hard and own their skills.

@cupieqt - I just saw this. Was it one I posted on FB or Twitter? I will look back thru and see if I can post it.

Back