All-Star Parent Expectations Clause?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What ever you put in place, please make sure that it applies to everyone. Those one or two families that you make an exception for will also create a nasty enviorment.

They will also tell everyone else that exceptions were made for them because the team can't go on without their Suzi!!!

Something like this:

Parent Expectations
  • I expect you to never demand I do something to please you or else you're leaving the gym. I'll give you a guess as to what will happen.
  • I expect you to act like grown adults and set examples for your children (so no talking s*** about other athletes in my program in front of other people ever....bc it will eventually trickle down to your child and I would hate to punish your CP bc you're an immature moron).
  • I expect payments to be on time and any foreseeable problems w/payments you might possibly have be discussed with me ASAP so that we can work to make arrangements-unless your CP shows up w/the newest iPhone the very next week and a brand new pair of UGGS, in which case our agreement would become null and void.
  • I expect that your intentions are pure when deciding to put you CP in my Allstar program; not because you are trying to live vicariously through them bc you didn't make your hs cheerleading squad, etc.
  • As a follow up to above, I expect your CP to want to be here for themselves and to understand that maybe, just maybe your CP DOESN'T want to fly and that there's absolutely nothing wrong w/that bc this is a team sport.
  • I expect you not to push your CP to do something he/she doesn't want to do and to be ok if all your CP wants to do is be the fiercest dancer and jumper, instead of a flyer.
  • I expect you to realize that just about EVERY parent (including you) thinks that their CP is the best and "should be" placed here or "deserves" to be in this spot just bc you think your CP is the best. I expect you to take off those rose-colored glasses from time to time and realize this sport/team does not revolve around your CP....or expect to be Bit**ed slapped back into reality when you realize your CP isn't the best darn cheerleader in the world when you happen to see CP as a nugget in the back. I also expect you to be ok w/that and support CP no matter what.
  • I expect that you not try to sabotage other parents in an attempt to "get on my good side" or resort to sneaky and deceptive tactics in an attempt to make sure your CP gets another one's spot. This might work on occasion, but it will come back to bite you in the a**, rest assured. Once again, I don't want to punish your child for your stupidity. If your CP shines, let him/her shine on their own. What do you have to be so worried about if they do?
  • I expect you to never interrupt my practice for any reason other than a true emergency (like an ill relative).
  • If you have a problem you feel you need to discuss with me, I expect you to do so in a respectable manner; this does not mean immediately after practice, or calling me at home during family time to complain that Suzy is upset bc she was moved to a different spot.
  • Barring the death of a relative or an academic related event- I expect your CP to be at every practice. If you want your CP to do 5 different sports, you better make sure none of them fall on practice or competition days. Once again, this is a team sport and if you don't realize this, I suggest you find another program (and good luck w/that)
  • This is all I can of right now..I'm tired and might actually make it to bed before 7am! :eek:

Go to the parent's section and read the NACP rules. You might find some useful information there. Just remember that your parents can be one of your best assets if you communicate your expectations well and do it respectfully. Parents can be a valuable resource in a program if you use them the right way. Most of us out here really want to support our kids and programs, not tear them down. No matter what group you're in, there are always a few people who act obnoxious. Please don't be too quick to put all parents in that category. Remember, the athletes and their parents are your consumers. Good luck!

I don't have access to that section, not a parent! Can anyone copy it and forward it?

Also, this is definitely not meant to knock any parents (Love you even when you're sassy Just-a-Mom lol)... Trust me, I've had way more positive interactions with parents than negative ones. It's more or less because I am a new gym, and most of the parents coming in have no idea what they're getting themselves into.

Maybe these? I googled....

Speaking
  • When sitting in a group and another person walks into the room, you will acknowledge new person. You will also ask them to join the group. NOT huddle closer together to exclude new person. Just.plain.rude.
  • Under no circumstances will you speak negatively about someone else’s child.
  • If you have an issue with another parent, coach etc, you will discuss said issue with that person privately. Not after you’ve asked the opinion of everyone in the waiting room.
  • You will not interrupt Sally’s mom’s proud moment with “WELL SUSIE can do that AND this…”
  • An NACP member will never start a sentence with “Not to be rude, but…” Cuz whatever comes out of your mouth next is….gonna be rude.
  • If you don’t like me, that’s fine. I probably don’t like you either. Please be civil and polite and I will do the same. We need to deal with each other for the next 11 months. We might as well make the best of it!
  • You will not tell everyone your Cheer Princess/Person (CP) is going to make Senior 5 when she is working her back hand spring. Per PAC online member “Just-a-Mom:” You should not know or be speculating about what team your CP is going to make.” Be it level 5 or any other level.
  • You will not run around telling everyone who should or shouldn’t fly or make a certain team!!
  • Nor will you walk up to your CP’s coach and say, “You know I’m not THAT parent but…”
  • You will avoid the “cheer mama drama” of others and anything that can be construed as such.
Typing
  • You must refrain from putting cryptic status updates on Facebook. Those type of updates are meant to create drama and gossip. NACP members will also ignore such messages.
  • You will not privately message other moms on Facebook to get the gossip about what happened at practice.
Applauding
  • When someone else’s child gets a skill, you will exude nothing but joy for that child.
  • You will cheer / clap for all teams at a competition, teach your CP to do the same, and NOT visibly cheer when your CP’s competitor drops a stunt (or other mishap).
Parenting
  • You will NOT tell your CP they must get “X” skill because Susie got it and they MUST be better than them.
  • Nor will you take their cell phone away or otherwise punish them if they don’t get “X” skill in the timeframe you have decided they should get it in.
  • You will also not bribe your CP with a new cell phone, or other electronic/digital device, for getting “X” skill.
  • You are a parent, not one of the kids on the team, you may look cool, but you’re not.
Practices
  • Thou shalt not under any circumstance leave a fog print on a gym window from watching too intently.
  • Thou shalt not pound on windows to get your CP’s attention.
  • Thou shalt not use sign language to yell at your child when they are out on the floor practicing, it’s just as distracting to them as if you yelled it out loud.
  • Thou shalt not hold up nasty notes upon the Parent/Spectator Viewing window in the gym with the intent to coach your child. Doesn’t work. Rating cards are out of the question, too.
  • You will NOT allow CP to skip practices, unless there are family emergencies or hospital bound sickness/injures…and yes, you will bring in that doctor’s note!
  • You will not let CP join extra curricular activities that will interfere with practice on a regular basis then expect all the other athletes and parents to be understanding.
  • Thou shalt not keep your child from going to practice because YOU don’t think she is trying hard enough.
Competitions
  • If something happens during a performance, you will not sit and badmouth your child’s teammate as soon as your child comes off the stage.
  • Under no circumstances will you ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever buy your CP, or any other CP, alcohol at Worlds. Even if the CP is 32 years old and on IOC 6.
Team
  • You will know that SOMEONE had to pay for the snacks and drinks at the 3 hour practice called the week before competition and for the celebration cake with the picture of the team with their jackets and medals after the competition and you will give some $$ to the team mom to help pay for it.
  • Thou shalt not take two months off at the beginning of the season (because we need a break) and then expect your CP to be front and center and fly.
  • You will not allow Suzie to take the summer off. Only to return in the fall because she soooo misses cheer.
Gyms
  • If you decide to leave your gym, it will not be because CP did not make his/her team of choice. You will not un-friend friends from your previous gym on facebook, nor will you un-friend someone else who leaves the gym. Unless proof is given that they talked smack about you and/or your CP prior to and/or immediately following departure, then this rule is null and void.
  • And once you have committed to another gym before the official end of the season, you won’t dress our CP from head to toe in practice gear from the new gym for the last tumbling practice at the OLD gym.
Dignity
  • You will not under any circumstances EVER wear your daughter’s cheer bows, in public or in private (which includes posting pictures of yourself wearing them on FB) … EVER!
  • Remember what the saying is about booty u ming (assuming).

My younger daughter will be on her 7th grade cheer team next year and I had to sign a parenting clause last night at uniform fittings. After reading it, all I could think was....what the heck happened in the past that they need to put it in a clause? One of them is under no circumstances are you to approach a coach. All questions must go through your advisor? Umm...what did a mom do to some poor coach to make it necessary to put this in a clause?????

Maybe these? I googled....

Speaking
  • When sitting in a group and another person walks into the room, you will acknowledge new person. You will also ask them to join the group. NOT huddle closer together to exclude new person. Just.plain.rude.
  • Under no circumstances will you speak negatively about someone else’s child.
  • If you have an issue with another parent, coach etc, you will discuss said issue with that person privately. Not after you’ve asked the opinion of everyone in the waiting room.
  • You will not interrupt Sally’s mom’s proud moment with “WELL SUSIE can do that AND this…”
  • An NACP member will never start a sentence with “Not to be rude, but…” Cuz whatever comes out of your mouth next is….gonna be rude.
  • If you don’t like me, that’s fine. I probably don’t like you either. Please be civil and polite and I will do the same. We need to deal with each other for the next 11 months. We might as well make the best of it!
  • You will not tell everyone your Cheer Princess/Person (CP) is going to make Senior 5 when she is working her back hand spring. Per PAC online member “Just-a-Mom:” You should not know or be speculating about what team your CP is going to make.” Be it level 5 or any other level.
  • You will not run around telling everyone who should or shouldn’t fly or make a certain team!!
  • Nor will you walk up to your CP’s coach and say, “You know I’m not THAT parent but…”
  • You will avoid the “cheer mama drama” of others and anything that can be construed as such.
Typing

• You must refrain from putting cryptic status updates on Facebook. Those type of updates are meant to create drama and gossip. NACP members will also ignore such messages.
  • You will not privately message other moms on Facebook to get the gossip about what happened at practice.
Applauding

• When someone else’s child gets a skill, you will exude nothing but joy for that child.
  • You will cheer / clap for all teams at a competition, teach your CP to do the same, and NOT visibly cheer when your CP’s competitor drops a stunt (or other mishap).
Parenting

• You will NOT tell your CP they must get “X” skill because Susie got it and they MUST be better than them.
  • Nor will you take their cell phone away or otherwise punish them if they don’t get “X” skill in the timeframe you have decided they should get it in.
  • You will also not bribe your CP with a new cell phone, or other electronic/digital device, for getting “X” skill.
  • You are a parent, not one of the kids on the team, you may look cool, but you’re not.
Practices

• Thou shalt not under any circumstance leave a fog print on a gym window from watching too intently.
  • Thou shalt not pound on windows to get your CP’s attention.
  • Thou shalt not use sign language to yell at your child when they are out on the floor practicing, it’s just as distracting to them as if you yelled it out loud.
  • Thou shalt not hold up nasty notes upon the Parent/Spectator Viewing window in the gym with the intent to coach your child. Doesn’t work. Rating cards are out of the question, too.
  • You will NOT allow CP to skip practices, unless there are family emergencies or hospital bound sickness/injures…and yes, you will bring in that doctor’s note!
  • You will not let CP join extra curricular activities that will interfere with practice on a regular basis then expect all the other athletes and parents to be understanding.
  • Thou shalt not keep your child from going to practice because YOU don’t think she is trying hard enough.
Competitions

• If something happens during a performance, you will not sit and badmouth your child’s teammate as soon as your child comes off the stage.
  • Under no circumstances will you ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever buy your CP, or any other CP, alcohol at Worlds. Even if the CP is 32 years old and on IOC 6.
Team

• You will know that SOMEONE had to pay for the snacks and drinks at the 3 hour practice called the week before competition and for the celebration cake with the picture of the team with their jackets and medals after the competition and you will give some $$ to the team mom to help pay for it.
  • Thou shalt not take two months off at the beginning of the season (because we need a break) and then expect your CP to be front and center and fly.
  • You will not allow Suzie to take the summer off. Only to return in the fall because she soooo misses cheer.
Gyms

• If you decide to leave your gym, it will not be because CP did not make his/her team of choice. You will not un-friend friends from your previous gym on facebook, nor will you un-friend someone else who leaves the gym. Unless proof is given that they talked smack about you and/or your CP prior to and/or immediately following departure, then this rule is null and void.
  • And once you have committed to another gym before the official end of the season, you won’t dress our CP from head to toe in practice gear from the new gym for the last tumbling practice at the OLD gym.
Dignity

• You will not under any circumstances EVER wear your daughter’s cheer bows, in public or in private (which includes posting pictures of yourself wearing them on FB) … EVER!
  • Remember what the saying is about booty u ming (assuming).

This should be a sticky at the top! LOL

I think most of the posts generally cover what most parent packets say. I have read quite a few parent expectation clauses from other gyms online, and the only thing I would like to say is that it would be nice to have a "What you can expect from us" section as well. There are usually so many loopholes in parent packets that it seems like gyms are accountable for nothing. It would be refreshing to read "You can expect our coaches to be experienced to the level they coach" "You can expect emails to be returned in a timely manner" and things like that.

I don't have access to that section, not a parent! Can anyone copy it and forward it?

Also, this is definitely not meant to knock any parents (Love you even when you're sassy Just-a-Mom lol)... Trust me, I've had way more positive interactions with parents than negative ones. It's more or less because I am a new gym, and most of the parents coming in have no idea what they're getting themselves into.
Good luck to you and your program! Congratulations!!! :cheering:

I believe that the relationship between a gyms and it's parents should be more of an agreement than anything directive in either direction.

Things along the lines of

"I will do my best to provide a safe environment for your child to experience and grow in this sport"

"I ask that you do your best to encourage that growth in your child (and your child only) away from the gym and let them have fun"

The Cheer Parents 101 guide that the USASF Parent Action Committee has produced has a lot of great information. Email me (its in my profile) and I can make sure you get it and would be happy to help you write your guide if you would like.

Haha I knew you weren't. Just the first few posts were starting to head in that "ugh parents are sooooooo crazy and annoying. Better let them KNOW" direction. Sometimes I get tired of it on here. Lol especially when I get my bank statements! I'm a little crazy, but both my cp's always say they'd rather have crazy cheer mom than unsupportive cheer mom.

Something like this:

Parent Expectations
  • I expect you to never demand I do something to please you or else you're leaving the gym. I'll give you a guess as to what will happen.
  • I expect you to act like grown adults and set examples for your children (so no talking s*** about other athletes in my program in front of other people ever....bc it will eventually trickle down to your child and I would hate to punish your CP bc you're an immature moron).
  • I expect payments to be on time and any foreseeable problems w/payments you might possibly have be discussed with me ASAP so that we can work to make arrangements-unless your CP shows up w/the newest iPhone the very next week and a brand new pair of UGGS, in which case our agreement would become null and void.
  • I expect that your intentions are pure when deciding to put you CP in my Allstar program; not because you are trying to live vicariously through them bc you didn't make your hs cheerleading squad, etc.
  • As a follow up to above, I expect your CP to want to be here for themselves and to understand that maybe, just maybe your CP DOESN'T want to fly and that there's absolutely nothing wrong w/that bc this is a team sport.
  • I expect you not to push your CP to do something he/she doesn't want to do and to be ok if all your CP wants to do is be the fiercest dancer and jumper, instead of a flyer.
  • I expect you to realize that just about EVERY parent (including you) thinks that their CP is the best and "should be" placed here or "deserves" to be in this spot just bc you think your CP is the best. I expect you to take off those rose-colored glasses from time to time and realize this sport/team does not revolve around your CP....or expect to be Bit**ed slapped back into reality when you realize your CP isn't the best darn cheerleader in the world when you happen to see CP as a nugget in the back. I also expect you to be ok w/that and support CP no matter what.
  • I expect that you not try to sabotage other parents in an attempt to "get on my good side" or resort to sneaky and deceptive tactics in an attempt to make sure your CP gets another one's spot. This might work on occasion, but it will come back to bite you in the a**, rest assured. Once again, I don't want to punish your child for your stupidity. If your CP shines, let him/her shine on their own. What do you have to be so worried about if they do?
  • I expect you to never interrupt my practice for any reason other than a true emergency (like an ill relative).
  • If you have a problem you feel you need to discuss with me, I expect you to do so in a respectable manner; this does not mean immediately after practice, or calling me at home during family time to complain that Suzy is upset bc she was moved to a different spot.
  • Barring the death of a relative or an academic related event- I expect your CP to be at every practice. If you want your CP to do 5 different sports, you better make sure none of them fall on practice or competition days. Once again, this is a team sport and if you don't realize this, I suggest you find another program (and good luck w/that)
  • This is all I can of right now..I'm tired and might actually make it to bed before 7am! :eek:
I shimmy a million times:shaka:

Back