All-Star Parent Expectations Clause?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Parent expectations
As the season is soon to start again, I'm hoping that you, as well as your cheerleaders, are as eager to compete with us this season as we are! On that note, we need you, as cheer moms and dads, to always be on top of things and meet, if not, exceed, my expectations for you. I expect you to do the following:
  • Make sure that your child attends every practice and competition. If your cheerleader is sick or injured, please contact one of the coaches so we can work something out. If your child is injured, we would like to see a doctor's note so that we know that this injury must be taken seriously and that we need an alternate. Cheer is all about discipline and working through the pain, so if your minor is sore or in pain, we would like for them to compete through it as our mission is to teach children to be dedicated and to take one for the team.
  • We enjoy teaching children with the heart, soul, and passion for cheer, regardless of their skill level. If you are living vicariously through your daughter, please don't become a member of our team. This is because we want to teach those who are willing to cheer. Another reason is because we do not want you to be controlling your daughter's career as a cheerleader. We are their coaches, and you are the support system. It is your job to let your child do what they love, and ours to push them to be their best.
  • Please be respectful towards all our moms, dads, coaches, children, and competitors. We always want to train classy, well-respected children with kind and modest parents. Do not talk badly about any of the children or their parents, whether it is behind their back or directly to them. A drama-free season is a successful season, so we need you to have a positive outlook so your child stays focused and always has the drive to become a champion.
  • Please pay when it is required.
  • Please come to compete in uniform with your makeup and hair done how it is required to be done. We would like to maintain a reputation of being a nice, classy, and admirable program.

maybe just tone the wording down, like the word "gossip". if i walked into a program and that was in the manual i would consider not joining that gym because it would make it seem like there was an issue with it already and i would wonder what kind of environment the place was.

def put rules into effect as to when to go to coach, cheer director, owner, etc. but perhaps you can stress the no gossiping at the parents meeting and talk about how it gets back to the kids and can tear a team apart.

I like the "72 is for you Rule" (72 hours that is)
Basically no parent can approach a coach/owner during a competition event about a problem they are having. If a situation arises they are to e-mail or text the office manager to request a meeting with whomever they need to speak with. The coaches have enough to deal with during competition weekends, they don't need crazy people attacking them as well! This also allows everyone involved in whatever issue, time to cool down.

I do like the comments about what parents can expect from you as well. Makes it seem less "crazy."

And from personal experience as a "rule follower" if there are rules there should be consequences. And those consequences should be enforced! Nothing more annoying to me to read a bunch of rules / guidelines and know that none of it will actually be enforced.

please please please include something about parents not banning their child from a practice as a punishment, grounding, "suzys homework must be done before she goes or she isnt going"

this has happened one to many times to multiple different teammates of mine and it drives me nuts your not teaching your child anything keeping them from a team sport kids need to respect their commitments and learn proper time management

please please please include something about parents not banning their child from a practice as a punishment, grounding, "suzys homework must be done before she goes or she isnt going"

this has happened one to many times to multiple different teammates of mine and it drives me nuts your not teaching your child anything keeping them from a team sport kids need to respect their commitments and learn proper time management

Good one!!

I think most of the posts generally cover what most parent packets say. I have read quite a few parent expectation clauses from other gyms online, and the only thing I would like to say is that it would be nice to have a "What you can expect from us" section as well. There are usually so many loopholes in parent packets that it seems like gyms are accountable for nothing. It would be refreshing to read "You can expect our coaches to be experienced to the level they coach" "You can expect emails to be returned in a timely manner" and things like that.

This. Times a million. It is a little offensive when I go in a business (cheer gym) and say "yes, I think I'd like to give you the majority of my income"and they turn around and hand me a list of things the "expect" me to do and how they "expect" me to behave. I have to say if you handed me something with a list of expectations for me and you were asking ME to pay YOU at the same time... Well let's just say I'd want that to come with a comparable list of what I can expect from you. Otherwise you would probably never see me again. I sometimes think gyms forget who is paying who. I'm well aware of how annoying parents can be, so I understand the need for the parents expectations clause, but just remember that they are purchasing a product from you.

I believe that the relationship between a gyms and it's parents should be more of an agreement than anything directive in either direction.

Things along the lines of

"I will do my best to provide a safe environment for your child to experience and grow in this sport"

"I ask that you do your best to encourage that growth in your child (and your child only) away from the gym and let them have fun"

The Cheer Parents 101 guide that the USASF Parent Action Committee has produced has a lot of great information. Email me (its in my profile) and I can make sure you get it and would be happy to help you write your guide if you would like.
We gave the Cheer Parent 101 guide to all parents who attended the mandatory next season meetings. It was a HIT! It's a great way to give the parents the expectations.

This. Times a million. It is a little offensive when I go in a business (cheer gym) and say "yes, I think I'd like to give you the majority of my income"and they turn around and hand me a list of things the "expect" me to do and how they "expect" me to behave. I have to say if you handed me something with a list of expectations for me and you were asking ME to pay YOU at the same time... Well let's just say I'd want that to come with a comparable list of what I can expect from you. Otherwise you would probably never see me again. I sometimes think gyms forget who is paying who. I'm well aware of how annoying parents can be, so I understand the need for the parents expectations clause, but just remember that they are purchasing a product from you.
I have to do this again... Shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy! Just one of those didn't allow for how much I love what you just said!

Regrettably too many parents have behaved poorly enough that it's understandable for a gym to want some behavior policy to keep a proper atmosphere in their business.

We pay for a service: a safe environment and proper instruction for our kids.

Many parents think that means progression at a certain rate, or certain placement on a team etc. that is NOT reasonable

if you are not getting the service you think you are paying for, then speak with the business owner or take it somewhere else.

Alright, I took everyone's ideas... here's the parent page and the next page with what they can expect from us. Hopefully you all like it:)

Parent Expectations

1. Parents will refrain from gossiping about other children, coaches, parents, or teams.

2. Parents will communicate with coaches IN PRIVATE, not in front of team members or parents.

3. NEVER post any negative comments about any athlete, team, parent, coach, or another program on any websites, chat rooms, social media, or message boards.

4. NO profanity or abusive language will be tolerated.
5. Parents are expected to support all coaches decisions on skill progression and team position/placement.

6. Do not talk about other athletes with coaches, parents, or other children.

7. Parents are encouraged to share in the joy of another parent, as their child masters a new skill.

8. Do not boast about your child to other parents. EVERY athlete progresses at their own rate, everyone has something to contribute to their team, and we believe in celebrating ALL victories- big or small.

9. Do not use missing practice/competition as a punishment for your child’s behavior. There are others who depend on them to be present.

10. Parents are expected to check their email DAILY, as this is how we will be communicating with you most often.

11.Please schedule vacations and family events around our practices and competitions.

12.Parents are expected to follow all travel plans, as laid out by the organization.

13.Parents are NEVER to enter the practice area or competition warm-up area. Parents are also asked never to distract their child during practices, warm-ups, or competition.

14.Parents are expected to disclose any information with coaches regarding their child’s specific medical, physical, social, or emotional needs, and to keep us advised of any serious family situation, such as an ill parent or a custody issue.

15.Parents are encouraged to contact us with any questions, comments, or concerns. Please do not spread rumors without coming directly to us for confirmation, and please don’t pass along any information to other parents unless we have made it specifically clear that it is okay to do so.

What can you expect from us?
1. You can expect that we will have open lines of communication, and we will handle any issues or concerns expeditiously.

2. We will keep all personal conversations private, and will only share information with other members of the coaching staff, as we see fit.

3. We will respond promptly to all emails, phone calls, and text messages.

4. You can expect that we will treat all athletes and parents equally, especially in enforcing the rules.

5. We will provide your child with a positive and safe learning environment.

6. You can expect all coaches to be experienced at the level that they coach, and to remain current with USASF rules and industry standards.

7. We will follow proper progressions when teaching your child new skills.

8. You can expect us to work with your child’s individual needs, and to be available for “extra help” if it is needed.

9. We will only be competing in divisions that we can be competitive in. We will not take a team to a competition if they are not ready to compete.

10. You can expect us to “do our homework” when it comes to competing. This means we make sure that we know who we’re competing against, and how the scoring system works for every competition. As a result of this, you will know too, because we believe that communication is important. We believe that it is our job to educate parents and team members through reviewing and explaining scoresheets after each competition.

Amen to that & 5 trillion shimmies!!!!!!!

having come from a small gymnastics gym, to a small cheerleading gym with my cps I know for a fact that all parent clauses need to contain something that reminds parents that it is the coaches, not the parents, who are best qualified to assess the athete's s skills. Too many parents seem to have no problem expressing what they think not only their child, but what other people's chidlren should be doing, and it can be really frustrating. One of the things I pay for is for someone to coach my child who is qualified to do so, and I don't want non-qualified people (myself included) to do this job.

Also I think it is important to add something in your handbook (maybe not the parent clause) that includes what the consequences for misbehavior are going to be for the athletes. If missing competition results in being off the team, state that at the beginning. If you will be holding parent conferences for disrespectful behavior, this should be outlined. Etc.

I have seen a lot that can go wrong in gyms when parents aren't respectful and respected. Gossip is something you can address, but I also think it's unrealistic to believe it won't occur. If you are going to have consequences for this type of behavior, it needs to be very clearly stated, and applied equitably. There are always those moms that are closer to the coaches/gym owners etc, and it is always noticed when they get special treatment. It is important to pay attention to the perceptions the gym creates among the parents, and to address negativity with positivity in as many ways as is possible.

Back