All-Star Parent Viewing Areas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerkidzmom

Cheer Parent
Mar 25, 2010
On another thread, the actual physical space of gyms was being discussed. Most of those big name gyms seem to have parent viewing areas. Does this mean they allow parents to watch at all times or at least most of the time?

follow up question: If the above turns out to be true, why do so many small gyms try to forbid parents from watching? If parents are interfering with practice shouldn't individual parents be excluded, not all of them??

ACE (Birmingham) has a parent viewing area but it is only open the last week of each month.

At my gym we have a viewing area, 3 big windows, the parents can watch through at any time. We have a viewing area so the parents dont come into the actual gym.

I've seen both. Some gyms you can just come in and watch whenever you feel like. Others I've seen it's only on weekdays, or you can watch whenever unless they say you can't (like in an email the week before they might say that practice is closed for the rest of the month).

I totally "get" why they want to close practices because sometimes moms can be disruptive or distracting. :oops: I just hate it because I drive over an hour to get there and then I have to find somewhere else to go for the 2 hours of practice. Which would be fine except for some reason the things I find to entertain me ALWAYS seem to cost money. At our last gym the thing I found to entertain me was a ZALES down the street. :eek:

i like the idea of parent viewing areas, and i can see BOTH sides of the story.
1. most people dont put 1000+ dollars into something, not knowing the outcome, or what it is, so i can understand why parents want to see their kids practice, they want to make sure that money isnt just a waste!
2.but at the same time, i can understand why some coaches dont want the parents there, because susies mom could be a major distraction when she freaks every time susie doesnt point her toes just right.

At my old gym, we had what a parent viewing area. It was upstairs. It seriously felt like we were in fishbowl, with all the parents standing at the window watching. It wouldn't be so bad except for the communicating between athlete and parent. Such a disruption. Whenver it got real bad, we'd close the parent room.

I totally "get" why they want to close practices because sometimes moms can be disruptive or distracting. :oops: I just hate it because I drive over an hour to get there and then I have to find somewhere else to go for the 2 hours of practice. Which would be fine except for some reason the things I find to entertain me ALWAYS seem to cost money. At our last gym the thing I found to entertain me was a ZALES down the street. :eek:

That is so funny. I found myself going to the Coach Outlet about 20 minutes away to "entertain" myself!

we dont have viewing windows, our coach thinks it a distraction! which, my mom is a coach so shes always at practice with me. but, sometimes if were doing really good or before comp. parents get to sometimes come in and watch!

I've seen both. Some gyms you can just come in and watch whenever you feel like. Others I've seen it's only on weekdays, or you can watch whenever unless they say you can't (like in an email the week before they might say that practice is closed for the rest of the month).

LOL!! Love This...There is a Tanning salon right across the street from our gym! Needless to say I'm pretty tan right now;)

Well thank God I've joined a gym and they have a location that is right down the street from the cheer gym. So the PLAN is to go work out while the girls are at practice...:oops: Maybe by posting it on here I'll be too embarrassed NOT to go work out! (Tanning also there...so I'll be golden brown in no time)

Personally I've been to both types of gyms. I even went to a gym ( a very small not well know gym) that let parents inside the gym during practice. I personally find it encouraging to be practicing and seeing my mom get just as excited as I when I land something. I can also see how some gyms wouldn't let parents watch. I guess it's just the personal decision of the gym!

Our gym has a second floor parent viewing area... with one way mirrors :) No parents allowed in the gym, ever. The only exception is for when parents are invited out at the end of practice to watch, and parents picking up little ones out of our foam-pit playground. We have been threatened with having our viewing area removed, but that was for other reasons...

Back