All-Star Poor Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's probably true.

It's 10:00. Or later.

You have been up super early for two days.

You have been a food delivery person, hairstylist, makeup artist way too early.

You are dealing with your kid who may or may not be totally snappy and nervous all day.

You are sick of pretzels and chicken tenders and are now starving.

You have a million miles to drive to get back home so your kid can go to school in the AM.

You are thinking about whether or not your other kids are making a complete mess of your home in your absence.

You have to work in the AM.

...and your NCA jacket perennial winner kid just got 5th at NCA and is losing it.

I'm surprised we don't have riots.
Trying to catch up on threads since NCA....had to tell you this post is in the lead as my favorite.
Your spot on synopsis deserved more than a shimmy.
#goyou

i just ventured into the Competitions section, and on the advertisement for CL3, it says there will be a live chat room to discuss "who's hot, and who's, well...not."

they are directly encouraging trash talk about performances/athletes/gyms.
CL as in Champions League? Sweet Jesus.

Somebody didn't think this through.

You're never promised anything in cheerleading. There are different scoring systems, and different judges who look and judge different ways. Plus every teams routine is so unique. You just have to go out there and do your best. I feel like a lot of teams get sidetracked by thinking winning is everything, but it really isn't. You strive to do your best and hopefully come out on top, but it doesn't always happen. It hard for teams who go to small competitions and always win, then go to bigger comps and not win. A lot of coaches and parents treat their children like they are the best, and act like they are the best in the world. I'm all about teams having confidence in themselves, but that doesn't mean that they're the best. Some other team out there is gonna be better than you at something. I feel like it's a reality check for some of the teams who are so used to winning at small comps, then they don't get first at big comps. That's when poor sportsmanship, and saltiness comes out. Not only are more athletes starting to lack sportsmanship, parents and fans are as well. I've seen countless athletes/parents posting on social media about how the judges sucked, or how they should've won, or how the teams they went against were awful. I wish we could just all support each other. The cheerleading worlds would be a much better place. As a athlete and a coach I've always encouraged my teammates/athletes to support every team competing, not just the teams in our division. Whether you get 1st place or 15th you should be supported of the teams you compete with/against.

YES.

My husband coached HS JV basketball two years ago. I wonder what would happen if some of the things that happened at his playoff games happened at NCA/WORLDS.

Ex: Two kids got into a shoving match once after the game.

Can you imagine what would happen if there was SHOVING AT NCA AWARDS?
Wait...I think this has happened between coaches. Not at NCA but I am pretty sure I heard about this before. @NJ Coach am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're never promised anything in cheerleading. There are different scoring systems, and different judges who look and judge different ways. Plus every teams routine is so unique. You just have to go out there and do your best. I feel like a lot of teams get sidetracked by thinking winning is everything, but it really isn't. You strive to do your best and hopefully come out on top, but it doesn't always happen. It hard for teams who go to small competitions and always win, then go to bigger comps and not win. A lot of coaches and parents treat their children like they are the best, and act like they are the best in the world. I'm all about teams having confidence in themselves, but that doesn't mean that they're the best. Some other team out there is gonna be better than you at something. I feel like it's a reality check for some of the teams who are so used to winning at small comps, then they don't get first at big comps. That's when poor sportsmanship, and saltiness comes out. Not only are more athletes starting to lack sportsmanship, parents and fans are as well. I've seen countless athletes/parents posting on social media about how the judges sucked, or how they should've won, or how the teams they went against were awful. I wish we could just all support each other. The cheerleading worlds would be a much better place. As a athlete and a coach I've always encouraged my teammates/athletes to support every team competing, not just the teams in our division. Whether you get 1st place or 15th you should be supported of the teams you compete with/against.
I don't think that all parents view losing in the right light. Of course nobody likes to lose. But when they do, and they will at some point, a parent has the perfect opportunity to teach their child how to be gracious, accept defeat, how to handle disappointment, be resilient, be confident and proud for doing your best etc. Athletes will learn a lot more from a loss than a win. But they can only learn this from parents or coaches if the parents and coaches have learned this themselves first.

When we lost at NCA to a stacked team I wrote a post thanking the stacked team for the opportunity to teach my child about how life isn't always going to be fair. And how everyone in the world doesn't have the same value system. That unethical people exist in the world and they are willing to cheat to get ahead. Truthfully, as difficult as it was to see my child's disappointment in that moment I wanted to make it a learning experience. I hoped that would be my only opportunity to teach those things, relative to cheer anyhow, and I was going to get as much value out of the experience as possible.

To the parent's defense, 2 day big competitions can turn angels into demons on day 2. I was ready to bite some people on day 2 of cheersport. It happens to the best of us. Ignore it and enjoy your child's accomplishment :)
@oncecoolcoachnowmom, I laughed so hard reading your post and I immediately thought that cheer has not evolved enough as a sport to properly handled or how to be an appropriate poor sports...haha

I still remembered the games my son's football teams won and the huge amounts of gloating and trash talking these boys will do. However, the games they lost, these will trash talk too and the mentioning of luck on the other team part, everybody on the team had painful boils, sore arms, etc...
PS: Cheer is simply still evolving as a sport and understand that in a competitive sport, who wants to accept losing and gripe or trash talk...

Trust me there is plenty of trash talk among cheerleaders . It is very sad to see how some teams athletes talk via technology ! Spread horrible rumors and slander other athletes ! Down right mean girls and(boys)... Some parents included .

This is when you start becoming pickier about who you friend and who you follow.

Late to the party, but I think the subjectivity and the lack of knowledge plays into this a lot. For example, at our last 2 day competition, my team scored 1 point lower on DOD for their pyramid than they did day 1. Both days were perfect hit, 0 deductions, no changes in any way, so our DOD should have been the same. Why are different judges scoring difficulty differently? Parents don't see this. They also don't see the illegal score deduction in an otherwise perfect routine.

And many people (including myself) see their routines differently while watching versus when they go back and watch again. I can remember thinking my kids had an amazing routine (which, for them and their abilities, they did) and being disappointed with a lower placing. But when I go back to re-watch or compare with higher ranked teams, I can then see the difference more clearly. I think many parents may accidentally bias their kids as better (which is totally understandable) and not truly see the difference between them and other teams.

Still doesn't make this behaviour acceptable, but I can see where it comes from

I will say parents are bad... But overreacting gym owners are worse! A gym was at a small comp against one other Y3 team. The team started the routine with one girl missing on the floor and once they realized and saw the girl coming on to the floor the gym owner ran on to the floor to get the girl (not sure why) the kid ran past her to her stunt and the flyer fell to the ground (luckily she wasn't hurt) and the 2 gym owners were having a big argument in front of the whole comp and finally he went up to the judges (while his Y3 team was STILL performing) begging the judges for a restart and that his team wasn't ready (mind you he was the one who gave the thumbs up for the start). They didn't get the restart and instead of losing fairly to the other team, he made his Y3 an exhibition team! So so so embarrassing!

Last edited:
I don't think that all parents view losing in the right light. Of course nobody likes to lose. But when they do, and they will at some point, a parent has the perfect opportunity to teach their child how to be gracious, accept defeat, how to handle disappointment, be resilient, be confident and proud for doing your best etc. Athletes will learn a lot more from a loss than a win. But they can only learn this from parents or coaches if the parents and coaches have learned this themselves first.

When we lost at NCA to a stacked team I wrote a post thanking the stacked team for the opportunity to teach my child about how life isn't always going to be fair. And how everyone in the world doesn't have the same value system. That unethical people exist in the world and they are willing to cheat to get ahead. Truthfully, as difficult as it was to see my child's disappointment in that moment I wanted to make it a learning experience. I hoped that would be my only opportunity to teach those things, relative to cheer anyhow, and I was going to get as much value out of the experience as possible.
While I totally agree with the concept of getting life lessons out of losses, calling the winning team unethical and cheaters isn't quite the lesson I think I would choose.

not sure if anyone had already mentioned this, but... I've been reading up on this thread (and others) and i notice that some of you thinks it's unfair or poor sportsmanship when people start screaming and yelling when first place gets called. watching a couple of NCA nationals awards ceremonies, I didn't see that many teams going crazy when second place was called, i was actually happy and surprised.
and might I state.... i know i may get some disagreements, but...
Guys, cheerleading is a sport right? so, you win some, you lose some, you talk your trash and you congratulate others. one things that kind of gets me a little angry is when people say "why can't cheer just be a happy place" it will never be like that just for the fact that we are a SPORT. who watches basketball, football, or any other sport? you'll see PROFESSIONAL sports players either talking trash or talking good upon their opponents. (i may or may not agree with what or how some things were said, but it's life) it happens in EVERY sport. now, do i wish some of the things that happens in cheer didn't happen? yes, but do i believe that cheer will ever be some mystical wonderful happy place? no, because fans and athletes have their opinions and a lot of them aren't scared to voice them. there's poor sportsmanship in every sport. it causes for entertainment. Like how some of you think "cheer is now a business" well so is basically ever other sport. you voice your opinion on social media, people see it, BAM, you have a couple more "fans" or whatever. more people pay attention to you/your team or gym during comps or in general, more publicity, more money to the gym. now in my opinion, not all publicity is good publicity, but to some people, that's how it works.
Oh! and I'm not saying Suzie should tweet "OMG Shady Athletics is so much better than Back Tuck All-Stars, Back Tuck All-Stars can't even hold up a stunt, Blasé Blasé, more bad mouth" but we shouldn't cry and complain every time someone says something terrible about another team or gym. YES i've seen some of the terrible things said and really wish they weren't, i also wish parents/coaches would teach their athletes respect and that bad mouthing is NOT the way to go when you're upset, but if someone tweets "yeah i feel as though we should've beat Shady Athletics, there routine was terrible" then that's just how they feel.
NOT COMING FOR ANYONE ON THE BOARD EITHER, SO PLEASE DON'T FEEL LIKE THIS IS AIMED TOWARD YOU.
ALSO, once again not saying bad mouthing is good, but i think some of us take it to the heart more than others.

Aol
not sure if anyone had already mentioned this, but... I've been reading up on this thread (and others) and i notice that some of you thinks it's unfair or poor sportsmanship when people start screaming and yelling when first place gets called. watching a couple of NCA nationals awards ceremonies, I didn't see that many teams going crazy when second place was called, i was actually happy and surprised.
and might I state.... i know i may get some disagreements, but...
Guys, cheerleading is a sport right? so, you win some, you lose some, you talk your trash and you congratulate others. one things that kind of gets me a little angry is when people say "why can't cheer just be a happy place" it will never be like that just for the fact that we are a SPORT. who watches basketball, football, or any other sport? you'll see PROFESSIONAL sports players either talking trash or talking good upon their opponents. (i may or may not agree with what or how some things were said, but it's life) it happens in EVERY sport. now, do i wish some of the things that happens in cheer didn't happen? yes, but do i believe that cheer will ever be some mystical wonderful happy place? no, because fans and athletes have their opinions and a lot of them aren't scared to voice them. there's poor sportsmanship in every sport. it causes for entertainment. Like how some of you think "cheer is now a business" well so is basically ever other sport. you voice your opinion on social media, people see it, BAM, you have a couple more "fans" or whatever. more people pay attention to you/your team or gym during comps or in general, more publicity, more money to the gym. now in my opinion, not all publicity is good publicity, but to some people, that's how it works.
Oh! and I'm not saying Suzie should tweet "OMG Shady Athletics is so much better than Back Tuck All-Stars, Back Tuck All-Stars can't even hold up a stunt, Blasé Blasé, more bad mouth" but we shouldn't cry and complain every time someone says something terrible about another team or gym. YES i've seen some of the terrible things said and really wish they weren't, i also wish parents/coaches would teach their athletes respect and that bad mouthing is NOT the way to go when you're upset, but if someone tweets "yeah i feel as though we should've beat Shady Athletics, there routine was terrible" then that's just how they feel.
NOT COMING FOR ANYONE ON THE BOARD EITHER, SO PLEASE DON'T FEEL LIKE THIS IS AIMED TOWARD YOU.
ALSO, once again not saying bad mouthing is good, but i think some of us take it to the heart more than others.
I totally agree with everything you stated...Be a gracious loser, go home and cry in your pillow or whine at home with your folks and scratch that competition off your schedule, learn from the mistakes and loudly say, NEXT!

PS: This is exactly the advice I gave my daughter the 1st time her team lost the 2nd season, after a flawless 1st season...

Back