All-Star Poor Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I can't remember the gym that did this the year your daughter was on JB, the same thing happened to us last year. The gym brought two teams to NCA. A j2 and R5 (I think it was). The J2 was pretty clearly stacked with higher levels kids - I had several people from their part of the country tell me this anyway - and they won. The irony is that they didn't get first at Summit, didn't even crack the top 3.

Looking back, for us personally, while it stung to be beat by this team, it was a learning experience for my daughter that she needed. She needed that loss. It helped to keep her humble and to realize you can't win them all.
Absolutely. I agree. I remember that happening to your daughter's team and we felt so bad. It was still fresh for us. We knew how they must feel.

I would rather have been beaten honestly by a kick booty team. But, when that happened to us they really did us a favor. It didn't seem like it in that moment. But it teaches athletes about life, defeat, resilience, and they also learned that there are things more important than winning in life. It's important they learn what it feels like to be treated unfairly and make a decision about what type of person they want to be. And honestly it's difficult for the parents to experience as well. It teaches us a lesson in being the bigger person.

I'm derailing the thread, but:

In tumbling, if you don't use it, you lose it.

I'm confused as to how you'd even be happy on Senior 1 with Level 4/5 skills you only really get to throw at practice or open gym? You'd lose it all if you didn't throw it regularly.

Yes, jackets. But really?
In our case they still competed on their real teams outside of NCA.

We are from a small rural community. Ironically there are 3 different all star gyms within an hour or so of each other. Each gym has a very different philosophy, and thus a different perception of "competitive". One gym only goes to comps they have teams who can win at, one gym goes to fun comps, one goes to big comps, but doesn't generally place very high. Each gym uses crossovers, because they all believe that's what it takes to field a full team. One gym only goes a level they can win at. One goes higher than their majority of tumblers, and one does one high team to please their tumblers, and then has them also do a lower level. The programs are practically incomparable based on how they do things. So it would be hard to judge across the programs which one was better. Instead, cheerleaders have to go with what's important to them, be it cost, philosophy or proximity. Because of this, I have maintained that it's all pretty relative in terms of ethics and philosophy. When you are looking at larger programs, or larger areas, I imagine that the relativity increases exponentially, and it gets easier to view things in terms of ethics, because you have choices, and your programs have choices....

ETA: programs have choices in terms of having more influence and more consumer power regarding eps.

i had to have a talk with the girls i coach. they're 5-12 years old & the fact that i even had to have this conversation with them is beyond sad. I had to tell them that sometimes adults get upset and say bad words and yell at competitions. That even if strangers say your team name, they are not trying to be mean to you or hurt your feelings. They are just upset and have a hard time expressing their feelings.

Back