All-Star Practice Wear: Is It Necessary?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My gym got it for the first time last year, or should I say, we started strictly enforcing it. Our idea for it had nothing to do with branding, although that may happen. We wanted our kids to look like a team and act like a team. It made us look like one and it made us cleaner at practice.

My gym got it for the first time last year, or should I say, we started strictly enforcing it. Our idea for it had nothing to do with branding, although that may happen. We wanted our kids to look like a team and act like a team. It made us look like one and it made us cleaner at practice.

It's funny because my HS girls have a 4 pack of practice outfits and a schedule of which to wear when.

The season before last, they had summer practices 5 days a week for 2 weeks. So I made the 5th day of the week a "free dress" day so they could wear any tee and any soffee/pro short they had.

I hated it. It sounds crazy but it REALLY is easier to spot mistakes when everyone is wearing the same thing.

I have a hard time cleaning (for example) arms in a cheer when my eye is repeatedly drawn to the girl in the neon pink shorts and lime top in the front left corner.

CP's gym is a practice wear gym, sports bra style and compression shorts. Practice wear from Varsity past two seasons. There is a pretty big difference in the amount a practice wear sports bra covers than a sports bra a kid has bought at a store. In May/June practice wear is not required at our gym. I look at some of those kids, like, seriously, you thought it was a good idea to come in here like that? Wow, that is tiny. But I'm just SM in the parent room, no one asked me. We don't have air conditioning at our gym. I definitely believe it helps with uniformity and I personally feel it has saved me $$, we already know what she's wearing to practice all year and Susie is not going to go buy the latest and greatest Nike Pros and CP beg for some. Dreading that I am going to have to start buying stuff for her to wear for cheer practice for middle school cheer.

We get 2 pairs of shorts, a sports bra, and a tank. One day will be tank top day and the other will be sports bra from my understanding. I can't wait to get it in.
At my old gym we got 2 tops and 2 pairs of shorts (you could choose more but that was the required stuff). You could pick 2 sports bras, 2 tanks, or one of each. You picked what you wore bc it looked the same just different length. I liked it a lot bc I don't like wearing just sports bras. Last year we had sports bras and my coaches didn't care if I wore a gym tank over it so I'm hoping I can do the same this year.
If my coaches told us our practice wear was soffes I'd probably cry. Haha :) I'd rather wear running shorts or spandex. I hate soffes. Our camp wear for school cheer was spandex and tank tops and I was just looking around at the few teams still in soffes and feeling sad for them. Especially WHITE soffes. We had them last year and ew. Never again.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Even though I hate the cost I do like that we have practice clothes for the kiddos. It makes things so much easier getting her ready for practice.

New to All Star this year but I absolutely love the idea of having practice uniforms. I always remembered when I was young that I looked forward to wearing special clothes for activities and I always felt proud wearing them. My daughter puts them on and looks at herself in the mirror and tells me how cute she looks (she is 5), and how all of her friends have the same outfit! We had to buy at least one t-shirt, one tank top, and shorts. She has to wear the T-shirt and tank to every practice and the coach tells them which they will be wearing that day, and remove the t-shirt as necessary.

CP's gym is a practice wear gym, sports bra style and compression shorts. Practice wear from Varsity past two seasons. There is a pretty big difference in the amount a practice wear sports bra covers than a sports bra a kid has bought at a store. In May/June practice wear is not required at our gym. I look at some of those kids, like, seriously, you thought it was a good idea to come in here like that? Wow, that is tiny. But I'm just SM in the parent room, no one asked me. We don't have air conditioning at our gym. I definitely believe it helps with uniformity and I personally feel it has saved me $$, we already know what she's wearing to practice all year and Susie is not going to go buy the latest and greatest Nike Pros and CP beg for some. Dreading that I am going to have to start buying stuff for her to wear for cheer practice for middle school cheer.
Do you mean that store-bought sports bras cover more than practice sports bras? If that's the case, then I agree. I am so tired of seeing sports bras that only A-cups could ever pull off.

Last season and previous seasons we would have to wear the assigned colors like On Mondays we would wear red shorts and white tops and Sunday would be all black
We have that day 1 of the week is one color and day 2 is the next. Problem for me is Day 2 for one CP is day 1 for other CP - trying to keep track of who needs what color what day clean and ready gets a little crazy some times :)

They had them in the past but peoples wore out quickly or they wore shorts underneath them that weren't the right color.
She said black nike pros that way people could even get the longer length they sale but still be in uniform with everyone else. She also said she liked this because you could spend as much or as little as you wanted some parents bought their kids 4 pair one for every shirt we got. Some people like my kid have not had to purchase any because my kid has been wearing the same pair for 3 years. (Hence the checkmark nike sign that peeled everything but the outline in the pic I posted in the practice wear thread) I'm not sure soffe shorts worn 2/3 times a week for 3 years would look the exact same lol.

Also I would say at least 80 percent of our kids already owned black nike pros so most people didn't have to buy anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That, and the soffe ones just don't fit my CP properly. The Nikes don't ride up, but 10 minutes into practice, the soffe ones have become briefs and look completely inappropriate. Also, you have the choice of 3 or 5 inch inseam on the black Nike pros. There is only on choice with the soffe.

Would normal 4 inch compression shorts do the trick? I saw a pair on Cheerleading.COMpany ($17), but the fabric looks too thin...

Nike Pros aren't expensive if you buy them on sale- and they almost always are where I live.

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives, I've had the Soffe spandex, which are kinda thin but not see through, Asics which I thought were a little on the short side but still nice, and Adidas which fit kinda weird but not too weird. I have a pair from Walmart , I couldn't even tell you the brand but I really like those.

Nike is my favorite but if I come across any of those brands, i have no prob getting them

Nike Pros aren't expensive if you buy them on sale- and they almost always are where I live.

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives, I've had the Soffe spandex, which are kinda thin but not see through, Asics which I thought were a little on the short side but still nice, and Adidas which fit kinda weird but not too weird. I have a pair from Walmart , I couldn't even tell you the brand but I really like those.

Nike is my favorite but if I come across any of those brands, i have no prob getting them

I would love the Soffe spandex if they were to come in a length longer than 2.5 inches.

This season, my gym ordered customized practice wear with our gym logo on it. One side is black, and one side is blue! Love the idea of everyone looking unifed. Last tear, we wore the same color, but people wore different shades and still didn't look like a team! I also do allstar hip hop and wish we would have got practice wear also.

I've always had practice wear from when I started cheer. When I was my first gym we had blue and black shorts one for Sunday practice one for Tuesday practice. As well as the same for shirts. We also had blue and black sports bras for the corresponding days. The shorts were more enforced with my coach than the t-shirts.

Other gym I went to wasn't totally strict on practice shirts we got every season but most wore them anyway. For worlds teams though the practice unis diff shirts were mandatory as were the sports bras with black shorts.

Gym I'm at now has a program practice uni of black shorts kind of a thicker spande material and a program practice shirt. It's not mandatory but it's encouraged that athletes wear them to practices. We have many crop tops for sale for all athletes and they are allowed to be worn at practice unless a coach requests you put a t-shirt back on.

Back