All-Star Practice Wear Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes.

I have even told people who are looking at potential gyms to really consider this aspect.

Gym A might have a parent contingent that is all about keeping costs down and totally okay with black sports bra/gym tee shirt/gym color Pros as practice wear for everyone if that is what the gym owner proposes. They have no problem bringing their kids to open gyms or privates in that. Team gifts are something reasonable like picture frames or something. Team backpack is not custom.

Meanwhile Gym B's parents are very much about the EXTRAS. They want the customized rhinestoned sports bras with kid's names embroidered, along with personalized monogrammed bows, and Pros in every color under the sun to match the custom practice wear that is ordered for every comp (i.e. Summit, NCA, etc.) Their kids show up to open gym or privates in a custom "I'm so fancy" sports bra, lavender Pros, and a lavender stoned bow. If your child shows up in a black bra and Pros, you get the side-eye as if you're the Joan Crawford of cheer moms. Team gifts include monogrammed totes. You simply MUST purchase an Nfinity sparkle backpack as well.

Really look at the "Joneses" aspect of the gym and whether you can afford that expense. You might get a tuition break at Gym B, but there's no point if what you're saving is going to go into looking the part. Is there anything wrong with wanting to look nice? No. But there are quite a few people at Gym B going broke to fit into that.

It was a deal breaker for me when shortlisting gyms. There was one gym that uniform cost and tuition was quite low but all the extras you had to buy all added up more than a more expensive more established program that is expensive but it is very clear what you are paying for.

I ask for black shorts or track pants, basic white trainers and a squad t-shirt for practise. Total cost <$50.

It's not fair on kids who really can't afford it to demand all the high-cost stuff!

CK x

I answered a question similar to this, but wanting to know something slightly different. Do you think it's fair as a parent, to have to spend more money on practice wear that has a bunch of rhinestones on them and metallic colors? I'm asking this because, in my opinion I think it really will make a small difference in the overall tuition of all star cheerleading, if gyms would stop ordering expensive practice wear. To me, practice wear should be basic like CJA Level five gunz. Than have something fancy for comps and showcases. You should look nice and decent for those events. But just for regular everyday practice, it's not a fashion down or protect runway. There is no reason to spend an extra 100.00 on rhinestones and metallic colors on gym practice wear. When that money could be saved, for new uniforms one day, or spent on something that the gyms actually needs. What I want to know is, do you find it fair to spend extra money on expensive practice wear that could be a lot cheaper and basic?

Even at my old gym, I didn't agree with the practice wear. But it wasn't too bad. I know not all gyms have crazy and fancy practice wear, but most do and I just want to know how you feel about it and will you ever bring it up to the coach? In request to think about changing it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't see why rhinestones would be necessary for practice. If the gym told me that we had to purchase it, then I would. The only thing I would have a hard time with is if sports bras were part of a mandatory practice uniform.

I like my gym's policy. We all get the same top for practice wear. It's included in the registration fee (music, insurance, competition fees, etc.). It used to be a fitted shirt, now it's sublimated tops. Much cooler to the touch. We also do a bunch of extra clothing that you can order. It changes every year and all of it is completely optional, including our club jacket. They do everything form sport bras, tops, hoodies, shorts, sweats, bows, bags, etc. Those who want and can afford more can buy it. And I really like that I get some choice in what I'm wearing. Some of the clothing just doesn't look good on me, so I don't have to pay for it. I'm sure there are some parents who feel a need to keep up with little Suzie who buys everything, but that's a parental issue in my mind.

Back