Punch Fronts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 27, 2014
Hey everyone! Do you guys have any tips for punch fronts, because I am just not good at them AT ALL. Even on the trampoline. My coach says I need to ride the bounce before I flip and punch up instead of out (same problem with my back tuck, but that's another story...), but I don't know how to accomplish this.

Any tips or drills? Suggestions are appreciated :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Okay this might sound kind of strange, but when I started working on punch fronts I had the same problem and my coach told me to act like I was hitting a wall with both hands when I set. So I went home, went to an open doorway and acted like I was going for my punch front. I started about 10 feet from the door, took two steps, and punched like I would have if I were actually going for the skill except I tried to hit the wall above the door. I kept doing this until it became habit and I did it in my actual punch front. My family got really annoyed at me hitting the wall, but oh well. :)

When I punch front I think about trying to flip over like a bar or something that is about chest height. It makes you think about pulling your hips over and really riding your set. Hope that helps, it works for me everytime. Good Luck!

Punch in front of yourself in running tumbling, not directing under yourself and pretend like your throwing a beach ball straight forward. These strategies helped me get mine

When CP learned her punch front tuck, the coaches would hold out a foam beam (one of those ones that are soft but still hold a straight form in the air) up over the entrance to a pit (almost like a limbo bar). The girls would run down and have to get over it to tuck into the pit. They would adjust it for each girls height to the level that that particular girl had to clear in order to do the skill right. Then they'd have reverse limbo contests to see who could get over the beam at the highest height (and it wasn't always the tallest kid either). It was really fun and taught them good technique.

When CP learned her punch front tuck, the coaches would hold out a foam beam (one of those ones that are soft but still hold a straight form in the air) up over the entrance to a pit (almost like a limbo bar). The girls would run down and have to get over it to tuck into the pit. They would adjust it for each girls height to the level that that particular girl had to clear in order to do the skill right. Then they'd have reverse limbo contests to see who could get over the beam at the highest height (and it wasn't always the tallest kid either). It was really fun and taught them good technique.

Our gym does something similar, we don't have a pit but they put a BHS barrel roll mat thing on the end of the tramp into the crash mat. They have to get over it, some girls are to scared to try that have punch fronts on the floor. My kid won't do it. Lol however some can do it over the mat and they are beautiful!

or you can get one of those big blue mats that are kinda the size of two mattresses...this is really hard to describe but they're huge. put it at the end of a tumble track and work on punch fronts up onto the mat. then try to eventually land on your feet. it'll force you to go up. or take that same big mat and put a wedge mat straight up against it and try and do a punch front over the top of the wedge mat onto the big blue mat. then when that gets easy, move onto the floor and try doing a punch front onto the same big blue mat.

punch fronts take a lot of trial and error! it took me a few weeks to get mine and it wasn't pretty at first! good luck :)

I used to imagine I was doing reverse limbo – like someone was holding out a horizontal pole and I had to get my whole body over it without making contact. We also used to do punch fronts up onto a mat to get them as high as possible.

Back