All-Star Pushing Through Routines

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I broke my hand practicing the night before cheersport. I was on two teams at the time so I competed 4x with a broken hand. Pain was killer but I pushed through it and finished it out for my team.

We had a girl at our most recent competition, Amy Anderson (who I really believe should be getting more credit for being one of the top cheerleaders in California), who got a concussion near the beginning of the routine. Still hit all her stunts, did all but one of her passes (and probably would have thrown the other had we not held her back), and finished strong. Real grit. Helped the team take first place at that competition and win their division by quite a few points as well.

It's a fine line to walk when injuries happen during a routine and deciding whether to keep going or stop the routine all together, and a tough choice to make in what is a blink of an eye, but to those athletes who do it I applaud you.

We had a girl at our most recent competition, Amy Anderson (who I really believe should be getting more credit for being one of the top cheerleaders in California), who got a concussion near the beginning of the routine. Still hit all her stunts, did all but one of her passes (and probably would have thrown the other had we not held her back), and finished strong. Real grit. Helped the team take first place at that competition and win their division by quite a few points as well.

It's a fine line to walk when injuries happen during a routine and deciding whether to keep going or stop the routine all together, and a tough choice to make in what is a blink of an eye, but to those athletes who do it I applaud you.

Yeah we just talked about her a few pages back.

In a pep rally routine, we ended in some motions after our jump section. I fractured my ankle after the first jump. (which is strange, because i'm rather awesome at my triple toe) I obviously finished the routine, but right after jumps the tears came. My ending was really awkward. I was second row and everyone in the entire school could see me, so I still tried to spirit off and really ended up just crying and waving at everyone. :oops:

jamfest supernationals my senior year, one of our guys broke his femur on the floor throwing a double and still finished the routine. i love him to death for how strong he's been, because a few months later he tore his acl on the floor at another comp. during jumps. talk about horrible luck. he inspires me beyond belief though because he's still cheering. with those kinds of injuries, i'm pretty sure i would have called it quits... thats dedication.

The question I have is (sorry if this has been mentioned, I read this thread a while ago): When does the line between selflessness and foolishness get crossed? If you're injured and push through a routine do you not put all of your teammates at risk? Specifically people that are knocked in the head and continue dazed through the routine being guided to their spots

The question I have is (sorry if this has been mentioned, I read this thread a while ago): When does the line between selflessness and foolishness get crossed? If you're injured and push through a routine do you not put all of your teammates at risk? Specifically people that are knocked in the head and continue dazed through the routine being guided to their spots
IMO if you cannot walk to your spot by yourself then you have no business putting up stunts, etc.

I broke my big toe the night before a competition and competed!
ahah its not nearly as dramatic as some of you with your torn stuff.. but it was all ugly.. lol and i could barely walk

If someone hurt their arm and can barely lift it, they shouldn't be stunting. I appreciate their selflessness like you said, but it is unfair to the flyer and stunt group to stunt. When cheerleading, stunting especially, relies on your entire group so no one gets hurt, it is unfair to put everyone at risk. If you hit your head and feel extremely dizzy, as a teammate I would much rather stop the routine or throw what we can instead of basing a basket toss when you can't even see straight. safety first.

Back