All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Attending Battle at the Capitol for the first time this weekend as a spectator! Any tips from people who've attended before?? I live and go to school in DC so not worried about transportation or anything like that. More so just insider info about food, whether it usually runs late and all that jazz! Im so excited!!!

Food is expensive and the lines are usually super long at the places inside the hotel. There are lots of places within walking distance to get cheaper better faster food. I like the little market next to CVS, a block away, or there is Chipotle along the waterfront or all kinds of restaurants nearby. Parking in the St. George garage is about half the price of the Gaylord.

I have been when it moved pretty close to on time, and when it has run quite late- just depends on each year's circumstances I guess. It's loud and more typical of a convention center than a hotel setting. There are usually some bleacher seats and a fan section in front of the stage. Have fun!

It is important to note that your "raw score" is NOT just about difficulty. It your total score (before deductions) that includes difficulty, technique, and subjective elements like performance and creativity. It is NOT necessarily true that a low "raw" score means that your difficulty was too low or routine was too easy.

Thank you. I do have a follow-up question, if you or anyone else can help further. Are the raw scores, or any element of the raw scores, determined in advance of the actual competition performance? In some gymnastics competitions, it seems like one element of the score--the difficulty score--is determined in advance by evaluating the planned routine.** Then the other element of the score--the execution score--is judged during the performance. Does something similar happen in cheer competitions? Or are the judges simultaneously assessing the degree of difficulty and the execution while the routine is being performed?

**my knowledge of gymnastics is limited to faithfully watching the Olympic trials and the Olympics

Thank you. I do have a follow-up question, if you or anyone else can help further. Are the raw scores, or any element of the raw scores, determined in advance of the actual competition performance? In some gymnastics competitions, it seems like one element of the score--the difficulty score--is determined in advance by evaluating the planned routine.** Then the other element of the score--the execution score--is judged during the performance. Does something similar happen in cheer competitions? Or are the judges simultaneously assessing the degree of difficulty and the execution while the routine is being performed?

**my knowledge of gymnastics is limited to faithfully watching the Olympic trials and the Olympics
In short, no. Raw score in cheerleading is simply the score given that day prior to deductions.

Thank you. I do have a follow-up question, if you or anyone else can help further. Are the raw scores, or any element of the raw scores, determined in advance of the actual competition performance? In some gymnastics competitions, it seems like one element of the score--the difficulty score--is determined in advance by evaluating the planned routine.** Then the other element of the score--the execution score--is judged during the performance.

Are the raw scores, or any element of the raw scores, determined in advance of the actual competition performance?
No.

Does something similar happen in cheer competitions?
No.

Are the judges simultaneously assessing the degree of difficulty and the execution while the routine is being performed?
Basically yes.

With the new rules do you think some of the larger gyms will create both Open and International World level 5 teams (since they will be two different divisions) .

Last edited:
What do we have to do to change bid declarations??? SO unfair to a team that hit both days and had their highest score today ever! Missed the only bid declared to them by .07. So upset right now along with an amazing team!!!

What do we have to do to change bid declarations??? SO unfair to a team that hit both days and had their highest score today ever! Missed the only bid declared to them by .07. So upset right now along with an amazing team!!!
We missed a summit bid last week by .07. Our kids were heartbroken.

Last edited:
My daughter has a dime size bald spot she got last week from cheer hair. We decided to to order her a PoshPony. She was having such great deals last week. Will using the PoshPony prevent the little bald spot on top of her head? I feel like it’s coming from the ponytail being too tight? Will having it in a bun with a Posh be any better? TIA

I don't know the answer to your question, but bald spots from cheer hair upsets me. I really wish all cheer hair was a simple high pony tail (No teasing) or panthers current hairstyle. Cheer hair should not be damaging to their hair.

With the new rules do you think some of the larger gyms will create both Open and International World level 5 teams (since they will be two different divisions) .
I'm sure they will as I have seen many larger gyms enter the international lower levels this season.

My daughter has a dime size bald spot she got last week from cheer hair. We decided to to order her a PoshPony. She was having such great deals last week. Will using the PoshPony prevent the little bald spot on top of her head? I feel like it’s coming from the ponytail being too tight? Will having it in a bun with a Posh be any better? TIA
If the bald spot was created by tension pulling the hair into the a tight bun and then adding the additional weight on the hair with the posh might worsen things. I'd talk to her coaches and ask if she can have her hair down right until your team heads into warm-ups and if her hair can be taken down right after she gets off the mat (I'd suggest cutting the elastic out less stress on the hair) . Castor oil can regrown and thicken hair, but I agree that its sad that it has come to this.

Back