All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I the only one who feels like larger teams (ones who put up more stunts) vs smaller teams are at a disadvantage to when it comes to deductions ? The margin for error is so much larger.

Yes, there's more room for error, but you can also do bigger pyramids with more transitions, allowing for a potential higher degree of difficulty. We've had to cut a pyramid component in previous years when we lost an athlete or two and could no longer legally make the pyramid work. But we've also been able to do things we never could have come close to doing by having a larger team.

In our area, small teams can't really compete with the larger ones just cos there are fewer athletes. But we're not great with ratio when it comes to judging in my area

Yes, there's more room for error, but you can also do bigger pyramids with more transitions, allowing for a potential higher degree of difficulty. We've had to cut a pyramid component in previous years when we lost an athlete or two and could no longer legally make the pyramid work. But we've also been able to do things we never could have come close to doing by having a larger team.

In our area, small teams can't really compete with the larger ones just cos there are fewer athletes. But we're not great with ratio when it comes to judging in my area
I definitely see how it can be tricky to max out with fewer athletes but it can be done. BSB and Smoed for example are small teams but they rely on more technical skills within a stunt group than massive fly overs that require large groups of people.

I definitely see how it can be tricky to max out with fewer athletes but it can be done. BSB and Smoed for example are small teams but they rely on more technical skills within a stunt group than massive fly overs that require large groups of people.

I agree that it can be done, though more people can make it easier. Up here, judges don't always look at things such as maxing out or ratio of stunts to athletes. THey look at the number and what they're doing. Ex, a team doing a perfect pocket stand obviously can't get a 10 of execution, cos it's too easy of a stunt. Doesn't matter that it's been executed perfectly. They will often meld DOD and execution together even though there's 2 different places on the score sheet. Perhaps I'm just more biased based on the hanky judging that often goes on in my area. :)

International divisions...American Teams compete in prelims, top 10 advance to semi's. In Semi's, everyone competes, and top 3 from each country advance to finals.

What about All girl 6? I know their is only 5 teams with a bid right now. Would there still be a semi's?

What about All girl 6? I know their is only 5 teams with a bid right now. Would there still be a semi's?

They changed the rule last year so all us teams compete in us trials regardless of how few teams there are. Last year coed 6 and all girl 6 had less than 10. That just means they all automatically advance to semis and then top 3 move on to finals.

ok... I am still confused about "small Gyms" . Do prep teams count in the totals? It isn't mentioned below

SMALL GYM COMPETITIONS
Event producers may at their discretion offer separate competitions designated for “Small Gyms” only. Any USASF/IASF division may
be offered at “Small Gyms” only events. A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location and has 75 or less
athletes registered in its competitive cheer program at the time of competition. Exhibition teams, crossover athletes, special needs
teams and dance teams do not count toward the 75 or less athletes.
It is up to the event producer’s discretion as to how to monitor this.
Competitions that are designated as “Small Gym” must use the definition of a “Small Gym” listed above.

ok... I am still confused about "small Gyms" . Do prep teams count in the totals? It isn't mentioned below

SMALL GYM COMPETITIONS
Event producers may at their discretion offer separate competitions designated for “Small Gyms” only. Any USASF/IASF division may
be offered at “Small Gyms” only events. A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location and has 75 or less
athletes registered in its competitive cheer program at the time of competition. Exhibition teams, crossover athletes, special needs
teams and dance teams do not count toward the 75 or less athletes.
It is up to the event producer’s discretion as to how to monitor this.
Competitions that are designated as “Small Gym” must use the definition of a “Small Gym” listed above.

Tacking my question onto yours because I have another small gym question... How does a gym with multiple locations manage to compete in the "small gym" division? The team I coach is competing in a small gym division at LIVE in Indy this weekend and I know one of the other gyms in our division has multiple locations.

I think it deals with how many kids you have per location.

But part of the description of "small gym" says "A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location" which makes it sound like if you have multiple locations, you wouldn't qualify... I'm guessing there's some sort of loophole that makes it okay but that seems sort of contradictory.

But part of the description of "small gym" says "A “Small Gym” is defined as having one physical address for its location" which makes it sound like if you have multiple locations, you wouldn't qualify... I'm guessing there's some sort of loophole that makes it okay but that seems sort of contradictory.

in guessing the "loophole" is the tax id number. if all locations share a tax id, then they are all lumped together. if the various locations have individual tax ids then they are considered completely separate entities.

in guessing the "loophole" is the tax id number. if all locations share a tax id, then they are all lumped together. if the various locations have individual tax ids then they are considered completely separate entities.

Thank you! I vaguely remembered this coming up at some point but after searching threads and looking at everything on the USASF website, I couldn't find anything so I wasn't sure if I was crazy/making it up. There's actually two gyms in our division that have multiple locations, one of them even has other teams from other locations listed on the schedule with the various location names... I didn't want to be "that person" e-mailing wanting answers when there is a legitimate reason out there. I still think it's shady that a gym with 3 locations gets to compete in "small gym" against gyms with one location and few athletes, but it is what it is if there's a loophole.

Thank you! I vaguely remembered this coming up at some point but after searching threads and looking at everything on the USASF website, I couldn't find anything so I wasn't sure if I was crazy/making it up. There's actually two gyms in our division that have multiple locations, one of them even has other teams from other locations listed on the schedule with the various location names... I didn't want to be "that person" e-mailing wanting answers when there is a legitimate reason out there. I still think it's shady that a gym with 3 locations gets to compete in "small gym" against gyms with one location and few athletes, but it is what it is if there's a loophole.

Personally, I think that loophole needs to be closed. There is a small gym category for a reason. Just like there are UIL divisions for sports in Texas (1A - 5A)

2 questions!

1) Can someone explain the ultimate athletics majesties situation cause i'm a little confused? Are they an entirely separate gym that just practices at the UA gym or are they affiliated with UA in any way?

2) Have VAS Ice Queens received a bid to Worlds 2013 yet? (sorry if this has been posted already! I know they have been talked about a lot on here so possible its been asked!)

Tacking my question onto yours because I have another small gym question... How does a gym with multiple locations manage to compete in the "small gym" division? The team I coach is competing in a small gym division at LIVE in Indy this weekend and I know one of the other gyms in our division has multiple locations.
If its the gym that I'm thinking of, even though they have multiple locations, they may still have less than 75 athletes. Or, it's quite possible that they have them set up as different companies that DBA the all star gym. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Good luck at Live if you haven't already competed!

2 questions!

1) Can someone explain the ultimate athletics majesties situation cause i'm a little confused? Are they an entirely separate gym that just practices at the UA gym or are they affiliated with UA in any way?

2) Have VAS Ice Queens received a bid to Worlds 2013 yet? (sorry if this has been posted already! I know they have been talked about a lot on here so possible its been asked!)
Ice Queens have not received a bid to worlds yet, they are competing for a full paid bid right now actually at PacWest in Oregon! BUT their sibling team VAS IOC5 Black Ice has received a partial paid bid in Feburary!! :)

Ice Queens have not received a bid to worlds yet, they are competing for a full paid bid right now actually at PacWest in Oregon! BUT their sibling team VAS IOC5 Black Ice has received a partial paid bid in Feburary!! :)
I'm really rooting for VAS to take this one it'd be amazing to see a Canadian gym get a full paid.

As an aside to this has a Canadian gym ever won a full paid bid before?

Back