All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What's the best way to get your younger athletes to pay attention, focus and not talk constantly during practice?
Also how to get them to count to the music and not rely on the coaches to count and do every motion with them so they know where they are in the routine.
I condition my minis and it works really well. They get a warning at the beginning of practice and I remind them that for every time I have to say something more than twice, they will do squat jumps. If I end up saying something 3 times, they have to do 10 squat jumps, and that number increases by 10 each time. It helps them realize they're not paying attention and focus on listening the first time.

I condition my minis and it works really well. They get a warning at the beginning of practice and I remind them that for every time I have to say something more than twice, they will do squat jumps. If I end up saying something 3 times, they have to do 10 squat jumps, and that number increases by 10 each time. It helps them realize they're not paying attention and focus on listening the first time.

We try that and they mostly think it's fun doing push ups. And then they still continue to talk 5 minutes later. Maybe we'll have to try different conditioning or something?

We try that and they mostly think it's fun doing push ups. And then they still continue to talk 5 minutes later. Maybe we'll have to try different conditioning or something?
If they're little, try time out. I'm not even kidding...if I have several minis that just cannot stop talking, I separate them and put them in different corners for several minutes. I usually have my co-coach keep an eye on them to make sure they're not playing.

If they're little, try time out. I'm not even kidding...if I have several minis that just cannot stop talking, I separate them and put them in different corners for several minutes. I usually have my co-coach keep an eye on them to make sure they're not playing.

Maybe I'll have to try that. Thanks!

We don't have mats. :(

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk
That's a bummer. I still think naming something after her would show how her loyalty made a huge impact not just to the gym, but those she came in contact with. Could you single out a drill or move that represents one of her strengths? We did kitty camp to kick off the year. Maybe Katy camp? If she had exceptional jumps, maybe call toe to backs after her?
I know it seems like this is really more than you planned, but 10 years with the same program is a rare thing and I think it should be acknowledged.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@CoachKelly You could get a plaque with her photo and name on it and make it your first addition to the ______ Wall of Fame. Hang it in your gym where everyone can see, and if other athletes graduate your program with 10+ years of being there, they can be added too. Get the girl a token or certificate for her own keepsake too. Maybe the trophy/banner from the first and last competition she competed at?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Does anyone know how I can take free CPR/First Aid classes? Also, what jobs in the industry can I work in the summer and on weekends? I am in school right now and want to start working (I feel like getting a cheer-focused job will help me to manage my time better).

Does anyone know how I can take free CPR/First Aid classes? Also, what jobs in the industry can I work in the summer and on weekends? I am in school right now and want to start working (I feel like getting a cheer-focused job will help me to manage my time better).
This could just be my area, but the only time I've ever seen a free CPR/first aid class was when I volunteered at the hospital and those classes were free for employees/volunteers. Otherwise they're usually around $100. I had to take one for school before I started and that wasn't even provided for us.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Fierce Board mobile app

This could just be my area, but the only time I've ever seen a free CPR/first aid class was when I volunteered at the hospital and those classes were free for employees/volunteers. Otherwise they're usually around $100. I had to take one for school before I started and that wasn't even provided for us.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Fierce Board mobile app
Yikes.... do you know any cheer coaches that balance cheer with college? I REALLY want to start coaching (I 'm getting ready for it) but I've never really heard of girls in college that can balance the two. I want to believe that it's possible, though.

oh my god i HATE both.. so exhausting!
They both are so tiring, but frog jumps just get me. Especially if you've ever had to do the "ballerina" ones where when you jump up you have to cross then uncross your legs real quick

Back