All-Star Raw Scores

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 8, 2014
How do the raw scores get set at competitions? Do you fill out paper work or submit a video of your routine? There was some issues at the competition we were at and none of us mom's knew how you were given a raw score.

I am an athlete so any real judges/industry officials feel free to correct me!
I'm pretty sure that it's just how the judges score your routine- e.g, all of your execution and stunt/tumbling/pyramid scores added together- then if necessary they tack on deductions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can lower if you had more mistakes day two.... ommissions, bobbles, actual deductions. Also at 2 day comps you usually get a diffrent judging panel on day 2. The score sheet is subjective.

It can lower if you had more mistakes day two.... ommissions, bobbles, actual deductions. Also at 2 day comps you usually get a diffrent judging panel on day 2. The score sheet is subjective.

Where? I'm pretty sure at Varsity competitions you have the same set of judges both days. I do like the idea of this though. It would be nice to have a second set of eyes score your routine.

Is this decided before you perform? can it lower after day 1?
It is not decided on before you perform. The judges score your routine as you are performing it. And yes, there are many reasons why a raw score could increase or decrease from day 1 to day 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Where? I'm pretty sure at Varsity competitions you have the same set of judges both days. I do like the idea of this though. It would be nice to have a second set of eyes score your routine.
I am pretty sure that isn't the case everywhere. If it is there are definitely issues with consistency because we have seen whole divisions shift as much as 2 points day1 to days with the same routines. It shouldn't happen, but if it is the same panel of judges both days it becomes that much more questionable.

I am pretty sure that isn't the case everywhere. If it is there are definitely issues with consistency because we have seen whole divisions shift as much as 2 points day1 to days with the same routines. It shouldn't happen, but if it is the same panel of judges both days it becomes that much more questionable.

I dont think any competitions have different judging panels each day. i havent seen that at any competiton ive been to in years.

It is not decided on before you perform. The judges score your routine as you are performing it. And yes, there are many reasons why a raw score could increase or decrease from day 1 to day 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
You are correct, but in a sense your raw score is partly determined before you step on the mat, because the difficulty of skills, majority of athletes doing skills, choreography, etc is part of your raw score. Similar to gymnastics, your skills will put you in a certain range. From there, technique/execution in performing those skills will increase/decrease that raw score. Stunt bobbles, movement of a stunt group while executing the stunt, bent legs, low landings or under-rotated tumbling, poor timing and poor jump technique will decrease the raw score, etc. Timing of skills (synchronized tumbling, stunts hitting positions at the same time, pyramid skills hitting in sync) will affect raw score. When you put all of these things together, it is easy to see why raw score can vary from day to day or competition to competition. A judge or coach can get in to more detail, but the information everyone has given you is all good.

In the most simple terms:
Raw Score = Difficulty + Execution
Final Score = Raw Score - Deductions

The coaches should have a pretty good idea of the difficulty score prior to the comp, but omissions (fewer stunts go up or fewer tumbling passes), execution errors (what should be a layout becomes a tuck or a bhs), etc. can all lower the difficulty score. Bobbles, poorly performed tumbling skills, athletes bumping into each other, timing, etc. can lower the execution score. So, the raw score can vary from day to day. Also, you are being judged compared to the other teams in your division, so you can't really compare raw scores between comps, either. Though, again, the coaches should have a general idea where they think your routine should score. The judges have no knowledge of the routine before they see it (unless they've judged your routine before).

How do the raw scores get set at competitions? Do you fill out paper work or submit a video of your routine? There was some issues at the competition we were at and none of us mom's knew how you were given a raw score.

If you're interested in taking a look at the break down of what each element of your routine is scored out of you can go to Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring and take a look at the master score sheet (assuming the competitions you attend use the varsity scoring system).

While the team is performing there are judges scoring them on various aspects of their routine, jumps, tumbling, stunts, pyramid, dance and overall impression. Within each of those sections they are given a score for difficulty, technique and in some sections, creativity. The total of all of those scores gives you your raw score. A safety judge is also watching during the performance and they mark down deductions for things like, tumbling touch downs, stunts bobbles or falls, pyramid collapses, illegal skills etc and the total of those deductions is then subtracted from your raw score, giving you a final score.

I'm pretty sure that at a lot of competitions, judges don't judge difficulty on day 2. They have seen it day 1 and don't need to judge it again. If you plan to change something, you submit a form and they will re-evalute it day 2. At least that's how it works at the big comps I've been to. So your raw score (the score you receive before the safety judges remove any deductions) should really only fluctuate between day 1 and day 2 based on your technique. I'm not sure how wide spread this way of doing things is, however.

I'm pretty sure that at a lot of competitions, judges don't judge difficulty on day 2. They have seen it day 1 and don't need to judge it again. If you plan to change something, you submit a form and they will re-evalute it day 2. At least that's how it works at the big comps I've been to. So your raw score (the score you receive before the safety judges remove any deductions) should really only fluctuate between day 1 and day 2 based on your technique. I'm not sure how wide spread this way of doing things is, however.
I've never heard of this. If true, why wouldn't teams water down their routine day 2 so they can have better execution?

If you're interested in taking a look at the break down of what each element of your routine is scored out of you can go to Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring and take a look at the master score sheet (assuming the competitions you attend use the varsity scoring system).

While the team is performing there are judges scoring them on various aspects of their routine, jumps, tumbling, stunts, pyramid, dance and overall impression. Within each of those sections they are given a score for difficulty, technique and in some sections, creativity. The total of all of those scores gives you your raw score. A safety judge is also watching during the performance and they mark down deductions for things like, tumbling touch downs, stunts bobbles or falls, pyramid collapses, illegal skills etc and the total of those deductions is then subtracted from your raw score, giving you a final score.

They have to judge difficulty day two also? The percentages can easily change between performances( i.e. Not everyone throws tumbling). And tons of programs make changes for day 2 based on score sheets. However, I'm sure that by day 2 they have an idea of what the difficulty might be which may account for a higher concentration on technique?

I've never heard of this. If true, why wouldn't teams water down their routine day 2 so they can have better execution?

What she is saying is true.... 9/10 your difficulty score will probably stay the same unless you change or omit something. I think what she means by they dont judge difficulty day 2 .. as in .. their not assessing a new score so to speak .. they are simply checking off what you did on the script sheet day one to see if it matches up with you did day 2. and if you increase difficulty .. it will be reflected in the score.. but i dont think they're coming up with a total new score each day.

Difficulty is judged on day 2. If day 1 has missed skills (Example, 5 stunt groups and 3 fall on day 1) difficulty could go up on day 2 b/c they then will receive credit for the skills performed, in addition, if a team misses skills day 2 difficulty can go down (Same analogy). In most events, judges are watching to be sure that nothing has changed with the skills for the difficulty scores

Back