All-Star Rebel Athletics Launches Rebel Alliance, Calls For Ieps To Band Together

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I like Varsity comps. Our schedule is 99% Varsity, with a few IEP's and a HS comp sprinkled in. Our uniforms are Varsity. I wouldn't say we are a Varsity gym as we are always willing to go outside the brand, but from the outside it probably looks that way. I was never a fan of Jammy events, but we've been to them in the past. The merge concerns me, but I'm hopeful that it actually leads to more competitions in areas that historically haven't had many. I think IEP's have an opportunity to gain some new customers if they play their cards right. However, this rebel alliance thing makes me laugh. First, the name is great, and I expect full on Star Wars shenanigans...and second, IEP's organized themselves together awhile ago.
My joke the other day about not having an X-Wing to battle the Death Star is even better with the "Rebel Alliance". Too many puns for me to take it even remotely serious.
And yea, the IEP's organized a few years ago. That's not new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random but whenever I see IEP's I can't help but think of individual education plans... I definitely work with kids and school systems lol

Special needs mom over here, and the first thing I thought was this too :)

I honestly can't see a lot of gym owners taking a stand against Varsity if they receive reimbursement checks every season from Varsity for attending their events.

Don't bite the hand that feeds, ya know? Money talks no matter what side of the argument you're on.

We'll see though. The gym owners seem to be the ones who are stuck in the middle of this. They have interest in both sides, the parents and Varsity.
Yes, but how much money are those gyms spending to get a small percentage back at the end of the year? Would they keep doing it if they could save the money up front?

Yes, but how much money are those gyms spending to get a small percentage back at the end of the year? Would they keep doing it if they could save the money up front?

Are gyms spending their own money? I think the parents are spending their money, not the gym. The gyms just handle the money.

ETA: Gyms (unless they factor the money the reimbursement check will bring into their parents fees at a discount) will get the money because of what the parents pay. So essentially gyms would be making money off of the money the parents pay, even without spending a cent.

Last edited:
Are gyms sending their own money? I think the parents are spending their money, not the gym. The gyms just handle the money.

ETA: Gyms (unless they factor the money the reimbursement check will bring into their parents fees at a discount) will get the money because of what the parents pay. So essentially gyms would be making money off of the money the parents pay, even without spending a cent.

Good point. Our gym agenda doesn't include bid seeking and as a parent who has done both sides of the coin, I do my best to choose competitions that are affordable, fun and close to minimize the out of pocket costs to my parents. Our "travel" competition is still < 5 hours away.
And as a parent of two on the team, I still pay their comp fees, uniforms, etc.

The thing is, and I can't say with certainty that all gyms do this, but I guarantee the majority of those gyms don't give that money back to the parents. Say you pay $100 for your child to compete at ABC Classic; the gym gets 5% back for attending ABC Classic and the team has 20 kids. The parents pay $2,000 collectively not including coach fees for their team of 20 to compete at ABC Classic. The season ends and ABC Classic turns around and rights the gym a check for $100 as a thank you for coming to ABC Classic.

Who do you think gets that money? The gym doesn't turn around and give each athlete $5 back, they keep it---whether it goes towards new equipment or someone's salary; a change to this only makes it cheaper for the parents unless the gym upcharges entrance fees and the gym loses out on the back end.

Every single cheer contract I've signed and this is between four different places if you include dancer's all-star studio clearly state all money they win goes to the gym. So no, I don't think the gym want to lose out on that check.

After re-reading the announcement, this isn't an easy venture. I worked for May Corp. and imports were what kept the numbers in the black but, to get the cost as low as possible all divisions had to buy under one umbrella. So, Famous Barr, May Co. CA, Kaufmann's, Foley's, Filene's, Meier & Frank's, LS Ayers, Jones Stores, Robinson May, May D & F, G. Fox, Strawbridges and Hecht's, all of which had their own buying divisions would have to come together under May Corp's-MDSI division to buy imports. Rebel Alliance would have to have all of the independents come under the same shared suppliers and manufacturers to get costs as low and the quality as high as a corporation the size of Varsity. Ultimately, concerning imports, May Corp. had the final say to maintain margins. As far as legal teams, by all means it is cheaper to have it in house, however, someone is determining those priorities, as well. As a division under May, you had to comply and cooperate for the greater good of the corporation. In the same way, all independents would have to comply and cooperate for the greater good of Rebel Alliance. I wish them well but, that is a whole lot of love and cooperation for independents to have with one another.

After re-reading the announcement, this isn't an easy venture. I worked for May Corp. and imports were what kept the numbers in the black but, to get the cost as low as possible all divisions had to buy under one umbrella. So, Famous Barr, May Co. CA, Kaufmann's, Foley's, Filene's, Meier & Frank's, LS Ayers, Jones Stores, Robinson May, May D & F, G. Fox, Strawbridges and Hecht's, all of which had their own buying divisions would have to come together under May Corp's-MDSI division to buy imports. Rebel Alliance would have to have all of the independents come under the same shared suppliers and manufacturers to get costs as low and the quality as high as a corporation the size of Varsity. Ultimately, concerning imports, May Corp. had the final say to maintain margins. As far as legal teams, by all means it is cheaper to have it in house, however, someone is determining those priorities, as well. As a division under May, you had to comply and cooperate for the greater good of the corporation. In the same way, all independents would have to comply and cooperate for the greater good of Rebel Alliance. I wish them well but, that is a whole lot of love and cooperation for independents to have with one another.
Love the perspective you're bringing to this! I never thought about this.

The IEP's organized a few years ago and started offering the season pass. Which is a beautiful thing. This is my first year to not buy it and I miss it already so I know I'll go back to it next season.

One of the IEP's we patronize a lot partnered with Rebel this season. I'm actually very happy they're so organized and working well together. It helps keep things competitive, which is how they'll keep Varsity from becoming a true Monopoly (besides the actual federal laws in place to prevent it).

While all eyes are swinging back and forth between Varsity/Jam and this new Rebel Alliance, pay attention to Nfinity and to the USASF. More maneuvers will be coming down the pipe.

The IEP's organized a few years ago and started offering the season pass. Which is a beautiful thing. This is my first year to not buy it and I miss it already so I know I'll go back to it next season.

One of the IEP's we patronize a lot partnered with Rebel this season. I'm actually very happy they're so organized and working well together. It helps keep things competitive, which is how they'll keep Varsity from becoming a true Monopoly (besides the actual federal laws in place to prevent it).

While all eyes are swinging back and forth between Varsity/Jam and this new Rebel Alliance, pay attention to Nfinity and to the USASF. More maneuvers will be coming down the pipe.

Now now my friend...you start talking that "pay attention" and "watch what's coming down the pipe talk" and they will be calling you a conspiracy theorist next...lol. ;)

Now now my friend...you start talking that "pay attention" and "watch what's coming down the pipe talk" and they will be calling you a conspiracy theorist next...lol. ;)
Lol no conspiracy theories from me. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the next step is buying out Nfinity and taking on Worlds (the Summit was a great beta test).

Back