All-Star Recruiting At Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 16, 2012
Okay this is going to be long but I think I need to rant. Yesterday was our first event and was local. Half way through the day we notice almost the entire coaching staff from a program watching, which is totally cool I get it! It's a local event go see what your up against. Well we and other gym have had problems in the past with the same program. So we had several kids and parents very upset about the coaches. Some made remarks as when are you leaving their gym and coming to ours? Talked to our parents and what not. Our parents just found it so distasteful and we found it very under the belt. They were sitting by the music and were making such rude remarks about us and another gym specifically every time we went and of course when our fives were on all were recording. Do you guys ever experience this? The event was so refreshing that all teams were supporting each other and was great to see until they showed up! I know this is so long so I apologize! How do we get this stuff to stop! Oh I'd also like to add these people call one of our boys weekly to get him down there!

This stuff drives me nuts. I'd prefer to "build" my own athletes, but if someone with experience comes to us so be it. It's so tacky to act that way, and I would hope that such poor behavior would be a turnoff to your athletes.

You can turn them in to the USASF disciplinary committee (If they are members). If the other coaches are willing to voice their concerns as well you could make it pretty clear you aren't going to stand for it. Unethical recruiting practices are one of the main things the disciplinary committee deals with.

Personally, I think it's classless. They'll get what's coming to them though, and it won't be droves of athletes knocking down their doors.

The gym is for sure USASF members. It is a pretty known gym, placing very well at worlds and other events. I agree with it being classless it is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure our director will be making a call to USASF today, I hope they do something about it. especially who this gym is and how much they are involved with USASF. It literally just makes me cringe

That's so strange to me. If they're so well known and can do so well on the floor they should let that do their talking for them. I don't understand that at all.

That sucks! Its like you don't already have enough to stress over then here come a few bone heads and make matters worse! What programs are involved? I personally feel that if they are so bold as to come to your event and harass athletes and families then why not out them???

Obviously I would love people to know who they were but then I feel like I am just starting a bunch of stuff as of right now between them and is. I approached a member of the coaching staff alone and express the way I felt when I saw them leaving as soon as our worlds team performed. Then all ten of them were circled around me and denying everything. I said it is completely disrespectful and below the belt and one of my girls I guess followed them out and they were making excessive rude comments.. As of this point I just wanted to rant and see if others agreed with how Low this is. Our staff really wants to handle this situation and we plan to do so.

Ugh... This is a pet peeve of mine as a parent as well. We had an "incident" two seasons ago where another local program started cold calling families in our program, including the parents of one of my CP's then 6-year-old teammate. I am not sure how it was eventually dealt with, but more people were concerned with how this gym obtained their contact info.

Another tactic I saw at a local competition late last season was a brand new gym that started up this season put fliers on everyone's car in the parking lot at the competition venue. That just totally turned me off to that program. A lot of others must have had the same thought because this new gym currently only has 2 teams.

Ugh... This is a pet peeve of mine as a parent as well. We had an "incident" two seasons ago where another local program started cold calling families in our program, including the parents of one of my CP's then 6-year-old teammate. I am not sure how it was eventually dealt with, but more people were concerned with how this gym obtained their contact info.

Another tactic I saw at a local competition late last season was a brand new gym that started up this season put fliers on everyone's car in the parking lot at the competition venue. That just totally turned me off to that program. A lot of others must have had the same thought because this new gym currently only has 2 teams.

Off topic, but really sad you didn't come up to UA Friday so I could meet you! :(

Off topic, but really sad you didn't come up to UA Friday so I could meet you! :(
I know... I had to completely reshoot my team's hair and makeup tutorial videos for our showcase due to technical difficulties. I really wanted to make it, but it just didn't happen. :(

I thought that every gym had to agree to not do this to be a part of the usasf. Or Mabne its only at sanctioned events that this agreement applies to?

If you are going to speak with the usasf be sure you have full details as well as some sort of proof or people willing to make a statement.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back