All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I suppose that is a way some may look at it but I prefer to view it as having the best interest of the other members of the team that have to pick up the slack for lack of commitment. Again, if someone has an issue and wants to handle it in a professional setting, you will get a release from me. Problem is how kids are taught to handle their issues is crying to mom and dad and posting on social media exaggerated statements.
when they sign their release and contract or whatever the logical term for the stack of papers we get at the beginning of the year is this stated in it? like a if you leave on bad terms you wont be released for a season or something?

when they sign their release and contract or whatever the logical term for the stack of papers we get at the beginning of the year is this stated in it? like a if you leave on bad terms you wont be released for a season or something?

I dont believe we state it in our beginning of the year handbook, but we DO say that this is a year round sport and they are signing that they will stay the entire season and no refunds will be granted.

I dont believe we state it in our beginning of the year handbook, but we DO say that this is a year round sport and they are signing that they will stay the entire season and no refunds will be granted.
Thanks you for sharing your perspective on this. May not always agree with you but always enjoy your positions and openness. I like how you handle it.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Its all so circumstantial. Playing devils advocate, If Worlds was SOOOO important to someone that they wanted to jump ship, then maybe they didnt do enough research before picking their gym. Assuming tryouts are in May and you need to leave your gym before November, you have a HALF OF A YEAR to decide if the gym is working. 6 months. And if its not working, why not finish the last 5?
?
I think this happens because the team she signed up for in May was 2 practices a week. Then the first 5 months are during the summer with two practices a week and you can miss if you're out of town and most of the routine hasn't been choreographed yet so everyone in switching around. And there's no school, homework and such in the summer. Once school begins with all its commitments it gets messier. If the coach decides in September that the team will go from 2 practices a week to 4 and 5 a week for the rest of the season and you must be at EVERY one (even over school commitments) and you need to get into a class or privates on top of that, it gets really messy. Can she get a release now? Then you go to your first comp and her parents see little Susie isn't contributing to the routine anywhere close to the 10+ hours a week she is spending in the gym. They pay the bills and they opt to move to a less stressful gym and team. Is a release right now?
Not saying it's right, but spending another 6 months in that situation could be detrimental to her grades and her mentality toward cheering altogether. Plus cause strain on the family for what?
If she knew in May there were going to be 4/5 practices a week that would be different. If the rules change mid year so can the players. Just my opinion.

@Rudags Not saying this against you, just giving a scenario why some choose after November not to go another 6 months.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think this happens because the team she signed up for in May was 2 practices a week. Then the first 5 months are during the summer with two practices a week and you can miss if you're out of town and most of the routine hasn't been choreographed yet so everyone in switching around. And there's no school, homework and such in the summer. Once school begins with all its commitments it gets messier. If the coach decides in September that the team will go from 2 practices a week to 4 and 5 a week for the rest of the season and you must be at EVERY one (even over school commitments) and you need to get into a class or privates on top of that, it gets really messy. Can she get a release now? Then you go to your first comp and her parents see little Susie isn't contributing to the routine anywhere close to the 10+ hours a week she is spending in the gym. They pay the bills and they opt to move to a less stressful gym and team. Is a release right now?
Not saying it's right, but spending another 6 months in that situation could be detrimental to her grades and her mentality toward cheering altogether. Plus cause strain on the family for what?
If she knew in May there were going to be 4/5 practices a week that would be different. If the rules change mid year so can the players. Just my opinion.

@Rudags Not saying this against you, just giving a scenario why some choose after November not to go another 6 months.

@Dixie - I totally get there are legitimate scenario's that may be right for a release. Mostly involving safety, but I do believe there are some others that exist. I am ALL FOR their being an appeals board with scenarios, and I would even volunteer to be on it. I think I would be objective and typically lean towards there needing to be hard evidence that the athlete was in danger for their safety. At least from the experiences I have heard of, it normally starts off that an athlete quits, wants a release, the mom calls USASF making up crazy stories, and the USASF says "Sorry Not Sorry."

What I am saying is that athletes can cheer wherever they want. There is only ONE COMPETITION the entire season they can't attend. Every story is so circumstantial and I believe there to be three sides to every story; Side 1, Side 2, and The Truth.

Maybe because my hotmess is only 9 and on level 1 I am not understanding this whole release thing. Why would you stay at a gym where you were not happy if it is truly a safety issue then wouldn't that safety issue be there the whole time why would you wait til the middle of the season or somewhere towards the end of the season to suddenly switch? If you are asking for a release because said team did not get a bid or because you think gym a is better then you current gym then maybe you need to check yourself and wait until may and go try-out somewhere else.

A couple years back I remember some athletes leaving and the wanting releases, now I do not know what happened with that it was and still is none of my business. But I do remember said athletes and their parents acting like fools on social media I would hope because they acted like fools a release was NOT granted but again I have no idea, and I shouldn't but I do remember that they did act stupid on various social media accounts.

I have no dog in this fight just wanted to add my two cents for what it's worth.

My thoughts on releases and contracts...

Is there a reasonable expectation that athletes (all levels...because you never know when a worlds opportunity might present itself) and their parents know about the release (for Worlds) rules? Do gyms explain this rule before having contracts signed (which in the case of some gyms is before the athlete even tries out)? Or is there an assumption that "everyone should know this rule"?

As far as gyms being able to make changes to the athlete placement, or to practice schedules or to whatever after mom and dad have signed on the dotted line...Sounds like a fairly one-sided "deal". What benefit or protection does the contract give the athlete and family? One party can change the terms of the "contract" at will, but can the other side as well? Can a parent say "oh, I've decided I'm only going to pay you $50/month now because it is in the best interest of my family?

How many gyms have actually hired a contract lawyer, and how many have just obtained boilerplate language and advice from similar organizations or the internet?

Maybe because my hotmess is only 9 and on level 1 I am not understanding this whole release thing. Why would you stay at a gym where you were not happy if it is truly a safety issue then wouldn't that safety issue be there the whole time why would you wait til the middle of the season or somewhere towards the end of the season to suddenly switch? If you are asking for a release because said team did not get a bid or because you think gym a is better then you current gym then maybe you need to check yourself and wait until may and go try-out somewhere else.

Many gyms hire new coaches throughout the year. It is possible that a new coach comes along and changes everything. Schedules get changed mid season. My cp's schedule changed one year from Sun/Tuesday to Wed/Fri/Sunday. What? Mid season? I was a waitress at the time. I can't take my kid to practice on Friday nights. Luckily we were able to work something out. But there are several scenarios where things change after November.

If your cp is on a senior 5 team and they don't get a bid, they decide to level down in January and compete as level 4, and your cp is a senior in high school... you don't think they should be able to leave and go to another gym that can get the to worlds? Even if they have the skills and their team doesn't? The majority of cases of athletes trying to get released that I've come across (not the majority of all, just the ones I know personally) have been seniors in high school. There is no "check yourself and wait until May" then. I agree if you act like an a$$hat you should not get a release. But I've seen a LOT of cases where the athlete is being held hostage by a vindictive, spiteful gym owner.

When your child is aging out you may feel differently. You are also in a good program where these things are handled properly. Don't forget about the Illinois gyms of the world though - there are a lot of programs being run by very slick, dishonest people.
My thoughts on releases and contracts...

As far as gyms being able to make changes to the athlete placement, or to practice schedules or to whatever after mom and dad have signed on the dotted line...Sounds like a fairly one-sided "deal". What benefit or protection does the contract give the athlete and family? One party can change the terms of the "contract" at will, but can the other side as well? Can a parent say "oh, I've decided I'm only going to pay you $50/month now because it is in the best interest of my family?

How many gyms have actually hired a contract lawyer, and how many have just obtained boilerplate language and advice from similar organizations or the internet?

You hit the nail on the head here. How is it that one party can change the terms and think the contract is still enforceable? This makes no sense.

(As far as the financial end, I've seen a few of those get tossed out in court. I don't know about the release rule - not sure a court would even hear the case since it's not financial and doesn't involve anyone's legal rights. I'd be curious to hear a legal expert's take on it though)

As an athlete who quit mid-season, a week before a full paid bid competition, I understand both sides.
I had genuine reasons for not wanting to remain on my team, and after the fact I found a spot on another team in my town (same division) that opened up for me. I was not released, and had to stop competing with the team before Worlds. I think it really depends on the situation. I had reasons for leaving, and my coaches had reasons for not releasing me. Ultimately, though, I was taught a lesson, and if I was back in my shoes a few years ago, maybe I would have just stuck it out and pushed my team instead of ran away from it.
IMO if the owner/coach is simply just bitter, then that's not reason enough. It's all situational.

This is something that the USASF should not have any control over! People need to understand that gyms offer a service, if the customer believes they can go somewhere else to get a "better" service I believe they should have the right. As a director of a program I would have NO PROBLEM releasing an athlete. Yall have to remember we do this for the kids! No matter what they come first.

My opinion on this has completely changed since 2 years ago. I used to feel the same way you do, but I've changed my mind.

Why is it OK for gyms to say you can lose your spot at any time, you can be replaced, etc.? Why is it OK for gyms to hold tryouts mid season for worlds? I just don't get why this "contract" is only one sided. *Especially* since the athlete is actually the one paying, not the other way around. I think if the gym can replace athletes at any given point in the season, it should go both ways. The gym says you have to keep your skills all season. Fine, that's reasonable. But don't replace me when I still have my skills just because someone shinier flew in to be on the team. And it needs to go both ways - if the athlete needs to work to "keep their spot" then the gym should have to work to keep their spot too. If the athlete has to make a decision by November then the gym should have to decide by then too. No switching teams after November? Fine. No switching athletes either.

Again...As I always say, cheerleading is confused. The athletes are the ones paying, not the other way around.

As for having to rework routines? I'm calling BS on any gym that claims that is the problem. The problem is saltiness over athletes leaving, plain and simple.

These teams rework routines every week to hit score sheets or replace injured athletes, or even just change something that isn't working. Reworking routines is part of cheer. How many routines do you see in November that are the same routine in April? Zero.

Some gym owners will never understand who the customer is. Then they act like the injured party when a CUSTOMER dares to complain. I signed an extremely one sided contract in the past. Never again! I hate to say it but if we allow ourselves and our children to be treated that way then we deserve it. Instead we should take our kids and our money to programs that treat us with respect. If everyone does their part then the athletes are set up for success.

I (personally) think they aren't really related. the second gym really has nothing to do with that.. its out of their control. I'm by no means saying you should just leave and not pay your expenses, I just think it should be settled in a civil law case (does that make sense? I know nothing about criminology/law lol..) and not be between the old gym and new gym. or are you saying you don't think the athlete should be released if they haven't paid their debt?

I think if they have an outstanding the debt they should not be permitted to cheer at another gym simply by using an honor code between gyms. If they screw one gym over they are likely to do the same to others. It's dishonest

i dont quite understand the logic of this. is it a way of getting back at the athlete?
It's teaching respect and integrity, thats what it's teaching. Social media has made it too easy to slander and bad mouth people and situations that in person you would never have the guts to do. I feel no pity for the brat who gets on social media and wrongly accuses a coach of malfeasance just to do so and I would show him/her what a lack of respect and integrity gets him/her.

It can go bad if an athlete is not released, as they can screw a team and not try at a comp also if they r switching to a new gym after the season. Sometimes it is better to release them if you have a replacement.

It can go bad if an athlete is not released, as they can screw a team and not try at a comp also if they r switching to a new gym after the season. Sometimes it is better to release them if you have a replacement.

Just because an athlete isn't released doesn't mean they need to continue cheering for that team. In fact I'll venture a guess that by the time an athlete asks for a release they are already doing nothing with that program and want nothing more to do with them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

Back